Randy's return?

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Nick
Cool Member

Randy's return?

Post by Nick »

I have been a member here for a few years (since 2011) and I have always had this big question in the back of my mind.

Would Randy have returned to do more abulms and shows with ozz and quiet riot down the line after getting his master in classical guitar?

What's everybodys thoughts on this?
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Re: Randy's return?

Post by orion_damage »

Personally I think Ozzy would have done whatever he could to keep Randy around. If he actually left to get his degree I think he would have been a solo act. Along the same lines as a Steve Vai or someone similar.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I doubt he'd go back to Ozzy for a long time, but probably at some point like the different Thin Lizzy guitarists did... I definitely think he'd have done something with Quiet Riot - like guest appearances or something.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

I'm leaning towards the solo act ala Vai/Satriani as well :)
barossadude

Post by barossadude »

I think David Coverdale woulda moved Heaven & Hell to get Randy play on at least 1 Whitesnake album...
"Rock n' Roll's universal" - Bon Scott, AC/DC
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

Post by CanuckRhoadsFan »

Nick wrote:I have been a member here for a few years (since 2011) and I have always had this big question in the back of my mind.

Would Randy have returned to do more abulms and shows with ozz and quiet riot down the line after getting his master in classical guitar?

What's everybodys thoughts on this?
I think it would have been guest spots on future albums, or perhaps a reunion tour years later....can you imagine albums like BLIZZARD OF OZZ or DIARY OF A MADMAN being played in their entirety, live, like many other bands have done? THAT would have been something to see.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I can see Randy doing the Slash thing and recording an album with a variety of singers, etc.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

Paul Wolfe wrote:I can see Randy doing the Slash thing and recording an album with a variety of singers, etc.
further down the road, yes, but between that and Ozzy, probably solo.
but with that said, there's always the possibilty of him shying away into obscurity too.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Stiltzkin wrote:there's always the possibilty of him shying away into obscurity too.
I definitely see that happening....
AnnKotatisRhoadsFord

Post by AnnKotatisRhoadsFord »

orion_damage wrote:Personally I think Ozzy would have done whatever he could to keep Randy around. If he actually left to get his degree I think he would have been a solo act. Along the same lines as a Steve Vai or someone similar.
error, ozzy was in turmoil with Randy before he died, Randy wanted OUT !!!!!

I think its safe to say Ozzy would of rid of Randy after he cheated him out of royalties like Daisly and Lee
No1UNo
Cool Member

Post by No1UNo »

Hmmm...now I don't know Randy well at all, but from all that I've read and heard from those that did, he really seemed to have loved playing guitar and teaching guitar. My thought is that he would've have received his degree from UCLA or a similar school and then split his time between teaching (possibly back as Musonia or at a university program), doing session work and creating with various artists (probably credited on some songs but maybe also a chunk of uncredited stuff), and performing...most likely one-off classical performances and rare public stuff.

I think he would've set his life up to maintain doing what he loved, but keeping a lower public profile to enjoy time at home with family and friends more. He was very relationship oriented and I think that would've been a huge part of his life going forward.
devorerd
Cool Member

Post by devorerd »

Only a reunion, he was done with the OZ and their antics, including having to ask to get paid at one point. Some anniversary shows, perhaps..But he would have kept making music, I definitely believe he would have returned to the teaching arena, he really loved that and learned a bunch and wanted to share his knowledge.
friday

Post by friday »

steve Vai was a student of satriani and both have had success .
Id say RR wouldve turned out some pretty mean students and their success would shine a light on RR no matter what he did .

I reakon hed make a good gat man for alice cooper or Dio back then ...... after leaving osbourne and getting degree .

If he was teaching at his mothers school in the 80s there would be a waiting list as long as your arm .
He wouldve had columns in guitar world for sure

.....and no I dont think hed be back with Osbourne
strontium90

Post by strontium90 »

Paul Wolfe wrote:
Stiltzkin wrote:there's always the possibilty of him shying away into obscurity too.
I definitely see that happening....

Nah, he wasn't getting all those guitars made for nothing. Plus, he was getting some very flattering session offers at the time of his death. He def was sick of the whole Ozzy/ bat biting non sense for sure. I can see why he wanted a break, but he would have comeback and did something, he was still quite young.
Vtrockgod

Post by Vtrockgod »

From Rudy Sarzo's book, Randy agreed to do what became the "Speak of the Devil" record, one more studio record and one more tour with Oz after the Diary tour. After? I definitely see session work while and after he went back to school. I don't see him as a solo artist because Randy's personality wasn't to be the focal point or center of attention. I could see collaborations with Ozzy years down the line in writing and maybe the occasional tour. But not an extended run again with Oz. And I could see a guest appearance or some writing with Quiet Riot, but definitely not to rejoin. Who knows, really?