It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:56 pm


Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
Author Message
 Post subject: Gary Moore talks about Randy Rhoads
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:12 am 
Mass Poster
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:42 pm
Posts: 4425
I've never seen this before, sad to think Gary is no longer with us. He was another great player who died well before his time. RIP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giw4-5hh9cw


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Gary Moore talks about Randy Rhoads
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:50 am 
Mass Poster
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:45 pm
Posts: 1660
yeah idol i saw that a few years back..such an incredible player with so much feeling in his playing..thanks for posting alot of people need to see this...rip gary!!!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Gary Moore talks about Randy Rhoads
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:52 pm 
Madman

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:43 am
Posts: 360
Tito wrote:
yeah idol i saw that a few years back..such an incredible player with so much feeling in his playing..thanks for posting alot of people need to see this...rip gary!!!


I love Gary Moore but there's no way that Randy incorporated the melody from 'Walkways' into 'Crowley'. Randy heard 'Walkways' that night for the first time, as Gary said, but 'Crowley' had been recorded months earlier. BOO had been released and the UK tour was over by the time that Gary did that gig at the Marquee.

_________________
"Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't goin' away." - Elvis Presley


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Gary Moore talks about Randy Rhoads
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:11 pm 
Madman
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:11 pm
Posts: 487
I like hearing other guitarists speak of Randy, especially when they had actually met him. I'll watch the video in a bit. Thanks for sharing


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Gary Moore talks about Randy Rhoads
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:49 pm 
Mass Poster
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:42 pm
Posts: 4425
Yeah the time line wouldn't match up for the dates of that gig at the Marquee. Like Troy has said the album was in the can by the time of that gig. I'm surprised Gary would inflate his ego by telling that story.
I remember a story from a fan who met Randy at a Greg Lake gig at the Hammersmith odeon in October 1981. Gary Moore was on guitar for that show. That was just before they went on tour with Saxon in November 81.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Gary Moore talks about Randy Rhoads
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:33 am 
Madman

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:43 am
Posts: 360
I guess Gary got the timeline wrong because he could hear similarities between 'Walkways' and 'Crowley'. To be honest, I can't say that similarities between the 2 songs leap out at me... Not like the similarities between 'Walkways' and Santana's 'Europa' for example.

_________________
"Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't goin' away." - Elvis Presley


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Gary Moore talks about Randy Rhoads
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:39 am 
Mass Poster
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:42 pm
Posts: 4425
Yeah i cannot see nothing leaping out either, but if Gary would say something like this it's making you believe that they have discussed the reasons behind it. As far as i can gather i'm sure Randy must of met GM at one time. Something may have been planted in his head after they recorded the track. As it's strange just to come out with that comment at random. Plus Gary must of admired Randy enough to dedicate a song to him after he heard of his death while on tour in Japan.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Gary Moore talks about Randy Rhoads
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:03 am 
Madman

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:43 am
Posts: 360
GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:
Yeah i cannot see nothing leaping out either, but if Gary would say something like this it's making you believe that they have discussed the reasons behind it. As far as i can gather i'm sure Randy must of met GM at one time. Something may have been planted in his head after they recorded the track. As it's strange just to come out with that comment at random. Plus Gary must of admired Randy enough to dedicate a song to him after he heard of his death while on tour in Japan.


I think the admiration between Randy and Gary was mutual. They'd met socially, they all went to Castle Donnington to see Rainbow not long before Blizzard's UK tour. Gary was also signed to Jet, he recorded a live album at the Marquee gigs in 1980 for Jet, Tommy Aldridge was Gary's drummer at the time.

_________________
"Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't goin' away." - Elvis Presley


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Gary Moore talks about Randy Rhoads
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:27 pm 
Mass Poster
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:42 pm
Posts: 4425
I'm surprised no photos have been seen of them back stage at Donington 1980 plenty photographers took pics of Judas Priest, Michael Schenker, Saxon, Scorpions, Rainbow etc. Was this the story of a drunk Gary Moore who pissed himself on the return journey and his girlfriend wasn't in the best of moods when she felt the dampness and then realised it was Gary's bladder letting loose. Good job Ozzy wasn't in the car it would of been like a mobile hot tub..


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Gary Moore talks about Randy Rhoads
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:47 pm 
Madman

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:43 am
Posts: 360
GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:
I'm surprised no photos have been seen of them back stage at Donington 1980 plenty photographers took pics of Judas Priest, Michael Schenker, Saxon, Scorpions, Rainbow etc. Was this the story of a drunk Gary Moore who pissed himself on the return journey and his girlfriend wasn't in the best of moods when she felt the dampness and then realised it was Gary's bladder letting loose. Good job Ozzy wasn't in the car it would of been like a mobile hot tub..


Maybe the photographers were more interested in the acts performing at the Monsters of Rock Festival than the guests? Yeah that was the story and Ozzy was in the same car as Gary, but Ozzy was with Sharon who'd just come back from the US and taken over from David Arden. Whatever the reason, Ozzy wasn't nearly as pissed as Gary on that occasion.

_________________
"Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't goin' away." - Elvis Presley


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
twilightBB Style by Daniel St. Jules of Gamexe.net