Bob speaks out on Ozzy & Randy's recent Classic Rock award

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Bob speaks out on Ozzy & Randy's recent Classic Rock award

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

In this year's recent Classic Rock 'Roll of Honour Awards', Ozzy Osbourne was presented with the 'Classic Album Award' for our 'Blizzard of Ozz' album. After the ceremony, Randy Rhoads' brother and sister, Kelle and Kathy, were taken aside and secretly handed a paper bag containing an award for Randy, for his contribution to the album. I find this insulting and disrespectful to the Rhoads family and, in particular, to Randy. I'd like to know why Randy's award wasn't presented 'publicly' to the Rhoads family members, and why drummer Lee Kerslake and I weren't even mentioned. That album was not a 'solo' Ozzy Osbourne record, as many have been wrongly led to believe, it was a work of art made by four people, the band called The Blizzard of Ozz. I co-wrote the music with Randy, I wrote more than 90% of the lyrics, and the four band members played on and co-produced the album together, so why did 'Classic Rock' choose to acknowledge only one member of the band? I do not begrudge Ozzy receiving his award, but I'd like to know why Randy wasn't acknowledged ceremoniously and why Lee and I weren't even mentioned, let alone given an award for our significant contributions to that album. 'Classic Rock' should know better, and they should be ashamed!
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Re: Bob speaks out on Ozzy & Randy's recent Classic Rock awa

Post by mojopin70 »

This doesn't surprise me . Sharon has tried to erase all history of events by re-writing them. So Randy's memory to the Osbournes is put inside a bag discreetly passed to the family. Nothing for Lee again then.
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Well if it was done so discretely how did Bob get to know about this ? did the Rhoads get on the phone and discuss this award presentation in a brown paper bag ?. and i'm sure the Rhoads didn't find the award to be so disrespectful when it was handed to them ?. Or am sure they would of handed it back... I think they are remembering Randy because of the fact that Ozzy probably has a big guilt issue in the death of Randy. If he hadn't of been on tour in his band he might just still be alive. Bob and Lee will never be recognised for anything they contributed to the albums in the eyes of the O's because of comments like this...Bury the hatchet and they may one day come to the realisation that the Blizzard albums came out as a work in progress of 4 musicians not one or two.
Sky
Madman

Post by Sky »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:Well if it was done so discretely how did Bob get to know about this ? did the Rhoads get on the phone and discuss this award presentation in a brown paper bag ?.
Yep, but there was no mention of the colour of the bag.
"Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't goin' away." - Elvis Presley
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

It's an odd one so how did Ozzy get the job was the award giving to him to pass onto the Rhoads. Did the Rhoads get an invite to the Classic Rock Roll of Honour awards. Did they expect to have to go up on stage and collect the award on Randy's behalf ?. Or did they know Ozzy would be giving it to them later ?. The details are a bit sketchy...
Sky
Madman

Post by Sky »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:It's an odd one so how did Ozzy get the job was the award giving to him to pass onto the Rhoads. Did the Rhoads get an invite to the Classic Rock Roll of Honour awards. Did they expect to have to go up on stage and collect the award on Randy's behalf ?. Or did they know Ozzy would be giving it to them later ?. The details are a bit sketchy...
Bob's statement was directed at Classic Rock not Ozzy. The award was for the Blizzard of Ozz album. Ozzy's award was presented to him on stage, fair enough. Randy's award was handed to the family in a paper bag after the ceremony had ended... Not by Ozzy, by a CR employee. I think that's weird, maybe others don't. Bob and Lee weren't informed about the award and they weren't mentioned, nothing new there then.
"Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't goin' away." - Elvis Presley
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Yeah so its a fucked up job on behalf of Classic Rock for not making it a band achievement award. Or did the awards cost that much to make they couldn't stretch it to another 2 brass plaques with a music note on.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Sky wrote:
GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:Well if it was done so discretely how did Bob get to know about this ? did the Rhoads get on the phone and discuss this award presentation in a brown paper bag ?.
Yep, but there was no mention of the colour of the bag.
:lol:
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

I see that the award is the one in the case at Kathy's winery which was recently on display for Randy's birthday celebrations. It is in the pictures of the pedal board thread.
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

Post by CanuckRhoadsFan »

Not to defend them, but Classic Rock backpedaled pretty hard about this one.

They sent out a message saying they usually only give an award to one member, that type of thing. They also mentioned they are not a big outfit that can afford to fly everybody in for an award, blah, blah, blah.

I get that. Maybe it was just an oversight...who knows?
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

I think the bottom line is Ozzy is a huge name in the music/metal community where as randy rhoads is a guitar god for a limited # of people.....classic rock is a mainstream publication that caters to the mainstream

big deal being made for the people who might care.....most of the mags readers do not care at all, they just love ozzy
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

This may sound callous, but why should a deceased musician receive an award? He is not here to receive it and appreciate it, so what's the point? Do Beethoven and Mozart have little trophies handed to their descendants?

My point is, the people who care about Randy Rhoads know of and appreciate his accomplishments. The people who care about Bob Daisley also know of and appreciate his accomplishments.

Ozzy (and more importantly, Sharon) need to be publicly reminded of their worth. That's what I get out of this whole event.
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

They give awards so everyone starts talking about them
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

When Ozzy hasn't a product to sell AGAIN he will go to measures to make money..... If he isn't touring the O's will have many side lines going like a back street merchant in Spain...lucky lucky man... It's all the business of a cash making cow ...$haron has all the skills to rip off people and make OZZY a star ...They cashed in on the fly on the wall docu with MTV...The family have always been on the make regardless, they are worth shit loads of ££££$$$$$...Without Ozzy on the stage the 'extras' who step up to mark have always been fucked over these are just supporting his finances at the end of the day ...Amen
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

I cant imagine what it must be like to be Bob Daisley when these things happen must hurt like hell.
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.