Mystery

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

mojopin70
Mass Poster

Mystery

Post by mojopin70 »

Does anyone know if Eddie Van Halen acknowledged Randy in any way. I know they met when QR supported Halen, and i know EVH didn't want to let him in on his tuning secret. I know there's a story about Roth and Eddie poking fun at Randy while he was loading his car with his gear, and i've heard the one about Eddie buying Diary of a Madman.

Having said all of that what i'm talking about is official statements in music magazines or the media that were about Randy Rhoads the player by EVH?

I have always wondered about this because i found it very strange since they were from the same area and knew each other and many well known musicians came forward and sent their regards and best wishes when Randy died at the time....
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
Cryptic Night
Mass Poster

Re: Mystery

Post by Cryptic Night »

I recall seeing an interview of EVH after Randy had died. This was a few years ago, the video's no longer available on Youtube, but I recall EVH being kind of smug in it talking about how Randy learned everything from him.

You can view the old thread on it here: http://www.nobitching.com/phpbb3/viewto ... f=5&t=9306

The video unfortunately is no longer available.
Like the lunar and solar lights, humanity's unaligned, undefined.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I've got the audio of the interview Jas Obrecht did with Eddie where the question of Randy came up. Ed says, yeah, he new him and he was good. He also claims Randy was honest because he admitted that everything he knew he learned from Ed. He goes on to say Randy's death was tragic and that they had to have been F'n around in the plane to hit the bus...
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

I remember that.ed was fucked up drunk in that interview Lol!!!
devorerd
Cool Member

Post by devorerd »

Aside from what other have mentioned in this string, I only remember hearing about Ed saying to Randy that they sound too much like "Queen"...I do think that Ed back in those days was a real innovator, and being shy by nature, probably lived in his on World...All that said, Randy was very complimentary when asked about many other guitarists at the time and his Earth Guide Only was pretty subdued.
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

This is why Ed was and still known as the biggest douchebag in the industry.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Shockwave wrote:This is why Ed was and still known as the biggest douchebag in the industry.
No, that's Gene Simmons.
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

lol!!!!!
TAB
Madman

Post by TAB »

poofters
Last edited by TAB on Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

devorerd wrote:Aside from what other have mentioned in this string, I only remember hearing about Ed saying to Randy that they sound too much like "Queen"...I do think that Ed back in those days was a real innovator, and being shy by nature, probably lived in his on World...All that said, Randy was very complimentary when asked about many other guitarists at the time and his Earth Guide Only was pretty subdued.
Yes Randy was very humble and very complimentary about other musicians ive heard him in interviews , and its typical of him.

The Queen thing is interesting, Bob told me that Randy liked Brian May's playing, and i know May is a big fan of Randy. I can see why Evh might've said that but you know i think he might be referring to Blizzard not so much Diary.

I dont think it was intentional to sound like Queen but i think because of Randy's classical influence and i guess with a more British sound there was going to be that comparison. What i find strange though is how EVH failed to notice how Rhoads pretty much invented classical metal which was just as innovative as Van Halen's sound .

And i was thinking about how Dimebag Darell was laid to rest with one of EVH's super strats. And yet Dime was probably more of a Randy fan, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2cYXy75mJQ&. ( of course i know he liked EVH too)

I just find it bizarre that when Randy passed away EVH really didn't say that much, i wonder if it was a mixture ego and alcohol.

I was thinking how ironic it is that EVH was a massive fan of Black Sabbath yet Randy ended up in a band with Ozzy he( EVH)even ended up recording a solo on a song called " Evil Eye" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsISkgC9ndE.
from a Sabbath album recorded in 1994 at none other than the house in Monmouth where they wrote Blizzard and Diary.

Why EVH couldnt do the Randy tribute thing every year like many other top guitarists have i really don't know.
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

mojopin70 wrote:I was thinking how ironic it is that EVH was a massive fan of Black Sabbath yet Randy ended up in a band with Ozzy...
I've often wondered about this. Being a Sabbath fan, I'd assume Ed would have checked out Ozzy's solo project... it'd be great to hear Ed's opinion of Blizzard of Ozz without reference specifically to Randy. I think Ed's ego makes it hard for him to discuss Randy since most conversations regarding the two of them lead to claims of one being "better" than the other.
Nick
Cool Member

Post by Nick »

Paul Wolfe wrote:
mojopin70 wrote:I was thinking how ironic it is that EVH was a massive fan of Black Sabbath yet Randy ended up in a band with Ozzy...
I've often wondered about this. Being a Sabbath fan, I'd assume Ed would have checked out Ozzy's solo project... it'd be great to hear Ed's opinion of Blizzard of Ozz without reference specifically to Randy. I think Ed's ego makes it hard for him to discuss Randy since most conversations regarding the two of them lead to claims of one being "better" than the other.
Eddie did check out ozzys solo project rember about the story about Randy and Eddie in the record store. Eddie got blizzard and diary
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

As far as my memory allows Eddie was pretty arrogant about his superiority to randy.

I think randy played with feeling where as Eddie was all about speed and being flash! Of course randy didn't live long enough to give Eddie real competition.
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Nick wrote:
Paul Wolfe wrote:
Eddie did check out ozzys solo project rember about the story about Randy and Eddie in the record store. Eddie got blizzard and diary

If that story was true... :wink:
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

i would think if eds ego was that bad(and im not saying it wasnt or isnt)he would have got someone he knew to buy the Lp to avoid bieng seen doing it.