Randy Rhoads stories

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Re: Randy Rhoads stories

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

How come i've never seen this thread before now ???. Thanks for all the stories from everyone who's posted here Awesome ...
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

Love the stories!!! 8)
Lespauly
Cool Member

Post by Lespauly »

Heres Randys preferred settings on his Marshall. These are from the booklet you get with the RR Marshall signature amp
PRESENCE 5
BASS 2
MIDDLE 5.5
TREBLE 6.5
VOLUME I 6
VOLUME II 6.5
They sound good on my 50 watt Marshall too
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

That could actually sound good if the Marshall was anything like his.
Just like the tribute LP ain't nothing like the real deal.
Elvira
Cool Member

Post by Elvira »

Hello!! I´m new here and I know its too late but it would be posible more stories please?
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Elvira wrote:Hello!! I´m new here and I know its too late but it would be posible more stories please?
Welcome, Elvira... it's never too late.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Once upon a time in a land far far away.... ;-)
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Re: Correction

Post by mojopin70 »

Film Director wrote:I have one correction. I spent half of the day yesterday with Dana Strum and the other half with Kelli Garni. Both of their interviews were amazing.
Kelli Garni was an incredible host and opened up his house to the film crew for 8 hours. Dana did the same with his recording studio. I have to correct one urban myth that came right out of Dana Strum's mouth. And being that he Randy and Ozzy were the only ones in the control booth and room at Randy's audition I have to believe that his story is accurate. Randy did not tune his guitar for Ozzy and then immediately get the job. He played the first 90 or so seconds of the solo from "Laughing Gas" before Ozzy lifted his head off of the console and told Dana to tell Randy he got the job. For the full story from Dana you will have to wait for the movie.

Bobs book is out now, its more interesting than recycled stories.
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

mojopin70 wrote:
Film Director wrote:I have one correction. I spent half of the day yesterday with Dana Strum and the other half with Kelli Garni. Both of their interviews were amazing.
Kelli Garni was an incredible host and opened up his house to the film crew for 8 hours. Dana did the same with his recording studio. I have to correct one urban myth that came right out of Dana Strum's mouth. And being that he Randy and Ozzy were the only ones in the control booth and room at Randy's audition I have to believe that his story is accurate. Randy did not tune his guitar for Ozzy and then immediately get the job. He played the first 90 or so seconds of the solo from "Laughing Gas" before Ozzy lifted his head off of the console and told Dana to tell Randy he got the job. For the full story from Dana you will have to wait for the movie.

I talked to Frank about this and he told me that Randy tuning up was along the lines of the Texas soundcheck video... he'd tune the low E and rip off some amazing lick, tune the A and do the same, then the D... I have no ide what Dana Strum's history with Quiet Riot was, but having seen the Texas soundcheck video, I can see anyone being impressed with him if that was his tune up procedure.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:Once upon a time in a land far far away.... ;-)
I thought it was a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away... y'know, when a great adventure took place...
Elvira
Cool Member

Post by Elvira »

Thanks for the wellcome Paul! ;)

I just love to know the story when Randy and QR played Jan's 18th birthday party in Paul´s grandparents living room :)

And sorry for my bad english, im from spain!
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Re:

Post by Paul Wolfe »

frank wrote:we took our daughter Nicole (now 32) to the Starwood to see quiet riot one night. she was 4 years old (what were we thinking?) and she loved it all... the rotating lights, strobes, sirens, fog machine etc.

the laughing gas solo was coming up so i put her on my shoulders and waded into the open area in front of the stage. i got about ten feet from the stage. i didn't dare get any closer, those groupies could get real mean!

anyways, randy looked up and saw us there. he smiled and played his solo to Nicole. the groupies spun around to see who was getting such special attention. when they saw it was just a little girl they relaxed and our lives were spared.
This is one of my favorites... Frank has so many cool stories.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Paul Wolfe wrote:
mojopin70 wrote:

I talked to Frank about this and he told me that Randy tuning up was along the lines of the Texas soundcheck video... he'd tune the low E and rip off some amazing lick, tune the A and do the same, then the D... I have no ide what Dana Strum's history with Quiet Riot was, but having seen the Texas soundcheck video, I can see anyone being impressed with him if that was his tune up procedure.

Okay, so Frank's story was actually at the beginning of this thread...
frank wrote:randy was hired by ozzy based on a brief "audition" which consisted of "tuning" up his guitar.
a little background on this. randy tuning his guitar was an experience!

first, he would tune his low 'e' string by ear. he'd cut loose with some blindingly fast arpeggios in the key of e. then he'd tune his 'a' string and run up the neck in the key of a, bending his notes, accenting hammer-ons and incredibly fast pull-offs. now, he's ready to tune his 'd' string, followed by some very rude harmonics and trills thrown in for good measure. and so on until his guitar was tuned. now, for "warm ups", he might play a blues progression, with some eloquent lead work to loosen up, flipping his toggle and playing with feedback.

he got his powerful sound out of a fender harvard amp, a mxr dist+ and his les paul.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Elvira wrote:Thanks for the wellcome Paul! ;)

I just love to know the story when Randy and QR played Jan's 18th birthday party in Paul´s grandparents living room :)

And sorry for my bad english, im from spain!
Hi Elvira, trust me when I say your English is surely better than my Spanish :D

Anyway, I recall the story of the birthday party gig... I want to say it was Gary who told me that story, it his grandparent's house where this took place. As I recall, the gig was also filmed and Gary was going to try to locate the film. Never heard any more of the story after that, though.
Elvira
Cool Member

Post by Elvira »

Oh my God it would be fantastic to see the film!