Randy Rhoads stories

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Ell
Mass Poster

Randy Rhoads stories

Post by Ell »

Does anyone have any stories about Randy that have not yet been told on here. I'm sure a load of stories haven't been told yet and are excellent so come on guys, especially you Randymagic, I know you've got more stories to tell! :D

Thanks (500!)
Barneylovesbeagle

Post by Barneylovesbeagle »

RR is the Professor of Metal Guitar,
he was beat down by the Rocking Roller life and wanted to Instruct and find higher Guitar Greatness

He was too good already so GOD took him.
siro_angel
Mass Poster

Re: Randy Rhoads stories

Post by siro_angel »

Randy visited me in a dream, taught me a guitar lick that i still use to this day, being in his presence in a dream was powerful can you imagine how it would be if you were actually was in the presence.

Simon
"A man who aimed to bring his dreams to reality is not a fool, but the man who won't is."
frank
Student & Friend of Randy

Post by frank »

i'm taking a lesson. randy's trying to teach me some stupid convoluted chord that stretches across nine frets (okay i exaggerate but it was a tough chord).
"randy, i can't do it."
"yes you can."
"no, i can't."
"why not?"
"my hand's too small!"
"hold up your hand."
i hold up my hand. he puts his hand up to mine. his fingers are clearly a quarter-inch shorter. he smiles. damn!
frank

Post by frank »

randy drives a clunker. a datsun 1600. it's a white convertible sports car that's always breaking down.
i drive him to the garage so he can talk to the mechanic about repairs. the car is parked facing the street...the hood is up and they're leaning into the engine talking, their backs to the street.
i'm standing a ways back watching them and i notice guys driving by are honking and yelling at this cute blond.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Barneylovesbeagle wrote:RR is the Professor of Metal Guitar,
he was beat down by the Rocking Roller life and wanted to Instruct and find higher Guitar Greatness

He was too good already so GOD took him.
Huh?
frank

Post by frank »

but wait. i got more...
Sarab
Mass Poster

Post by Sarab »

Keep'em coming, frank!
Better people....
Better food...
And better beer.
frank

Post by frank »

we took our daughter nicole (now 32) to the starwood to see quiet riot one night. she was 4 years old (what were we thinking?) and she loved it all... the rotating lights, strobes, sirens, fog machine etc.

the laughing gas solo was coming up so i put her on my shoulders and waded into the open area in front of the stage. i got about ten feet from the stage. i didn't dare get any closer, those groupies could get real mean!

anyways, randy looked up and saw us there. he smiled and played his solo to nicole. the groupies spun around to see who was getting such special attention. when they saw it was just a little girl they relaxed and our lives were spared.
Ell
Mass Poster

Post by Ell »

They're some cool stories. The car one was pretty funny :D
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

You took a 4-year-old to a Quiet Riot show? Niiiiiiice...
frank

Post by frank »

c'mon paul, we were just kids ourselves and it seemed like a good idea at the time.

okay fine, try this one on for size then. randy was hired by ozzy based on a brief "audition" which consisted of "tuning" up his guitar.
a little background on this. randy tuning his guitar was an experience!

first, he would tune his low 'e' string by ear. he'd cut loose with some blindingly fast arpeggios in the key of e. then he'd tune his 'a' string and run up the neck in the key of a, bending his notes, accenting hammer-ons and incredibly fast pull-offs. now, he's ready to tune his 'd' string, followed by some very rude harmonics and trills thrown in for good measure. and so on until his guitar was tuned. now, for "warm ups", he might play a blues progression, with some eloquent lead work to loosen up, flipping his toggle and playing with feedback.

he got his powerful sound out of a fender harvard amp, a mxr dist+ and his les paul.
Sarab
Mass Poster

Post by Sarab »

I've always wondered how his tuning sounded.
Better people....
Better food...
And better beer.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

After hearing the clip of Randy at the soundcheck in Beaumont, Texas, I understood how Ozzy could hire him without him playing "anything". Now with your description, Frank, it clarifies that in my mind.
Fozzy41
Madman

Post by Fozzy41 »

Great stories Frank, for those few moments reading your stories I seemed to be taken back in time. Keep up the reminiscing