After hours Mr. Crowley question

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Shockwave
Mass Poster

Re: After hours Mr. Crowley question

Post by Shockwave »

I retract my earlier statement saying it is a flanger, well it could still very well be. But i never really turned the speed up high on my 3 knob chorus to the max until just now and it sounds 95% like the after hours video combined with my 78 JMP.

Maybe ill make a clip later this week on it
the crush
Cool Member

Post by the crush »

Shockwave wrote:I retract my earlier statement saying it is a flanger, well it could still very well be. But i never really turned the speed up high on my 3 knob chorus to the max until just now and it sounds 95% like the after hours video combined with my 78 JMP.

Maybe ill make a clip later this week on it
O that would be great! to hear a clip! thanks
check out my guitar playing here
http://www.reverbnation.com/sinsofamadman
check out my custom RR guitar
built by VonLinsowe Custom Guitars Facebook
check out my ozzy tribute band Sins of a Madman on FB or www.sins of a madman.com or on YouTube
devorerd
Cool Member

Post by devorerd »

The Flanger sounds much different than the chorus, listen to the bridge to "Believer" off of tribute, that is the flange. For a longer taste of Randy incorporating the Chorus, "Revelation or Goodbye to Romance"..Zero doubt the Crowley bridge is the Chorus...
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

flanger can sound very much like chorus at higher speed modulation. The "Believer" flange sound you speak of is the normal sweeping sound that people associate with flanger, same type of sweep as a phaser. That is not the only sound flangers can get and they can sound completely different than the norm. I originally said flanger because i have not heard a chorus sound that metallic/cold sounding when the speed is up high until i tried it on mine.
devorerd
Cool Member

Post by devorerd »

Yep, additionally, if you look at the configuration of Randy's pedal board, the effects were not easily accessible, thus you can then deduce that Randy used the Chorus on the "after hours". It's unlikely he or Mertens changed up to the flange for that performance. To me the flange always has a more robust or thicker sound than the chorus...Whereas the Phaser is more of a treble boost with the sweeping sound of a flange as well.
nyhc7163

Post by nyhc7163 »

even though I'm a drummer I love this thread!
devorerd
Cool Member

Post by devorerd »

Saw a recent diagram of Randy's pedal board, I stand corrected, the Flange and the Chorus had adjustment nobs outside of the box, so they were easily accessible, however, I still stand by my opinion that is was a Chorus, the section seems too long for a flange anyway..