After hours Mr. Crowley question

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

the crush
Cool Member

After hours Mr. Crowley question

Post by the crush »

The version of Mr. Crowley on the After hours video, does anyone know what effect Randy is using during the middle interlude part before the last guitar solo? I know the keyboards are kinda following his guitar parts, maybe that's what I'm hearing? almost sounds like a phaser? I thought he only had a flanger? maybe it's just chours and flanger together? been messing around trying to add modulation effects to get that sound ! any tips? thanks!!!
check out my guitar playing here
http://www.reverbnation.com/sinsofamadman
check out my custom RR guitar
built by VonLinsowe Custom Guitars Facebook
check out my ozzy tribute band Sins of a Madman on FB or www.sins of a madman.com or on YouTube
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Re: After hours Mr. Crowley question

Post by orion_damage »

I'm not certain but I assumed it was just chorus.
devorerd
Cool Member

Post by devorerd »

Chorus for sure, he still has the distortion plus on, but his volume is way reduced..Randy didn't use the phaser very much if at all live....studio of course it can be herd..."Steal Away the Night" comes to mind..
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

just sounds like chorus to me. With the added keys and distortion the sound is just really full....one thing I just noticed is the keyboard is playing along with him at the start of that solo right up until the big bend (where he throws his head back....4.50ish) then the guitar tone changes massively at that point and you don't see him stomp on anything
the crush
Cool Member

Post by the crush »

sytharnia wrote:just sounds like chorus to me. With the added keys and distortion the sound is just really full....one thing I just noticed is the keyboard is playing along with him at the start of that solo right up until the big bend (where he throws his head back....4.50ish) then the guitar tone changes massively at that point and you don't see him stomp on anything
thanks for the replys! and yes sytharnia, I have always liked how the key's follow Randy's solo in the first half of the 2nd. guitar solo, I have herd other versions where the key's don't follow him on that part, and the keys are just playing the rhythm part's, that does sound so cool!!, when the key's are playing along with his solos! and I have always played the interlude part how Randy does in after hours instead of playing it how 95% of other guitar players do. Also the first part of the 2nd. solo I have to leave my middle finger fretted and pull off with my pinky, I can't seem to lift my middle finger and pinky how Randy does it on after hours and play it fast enough! ! lol! Randy the best!
check out my ozzy tribute band Sins of a Madman on FB or www.sins of a madman.com or on YouTube
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

Practice doing trills with just your pinky and 3rd finger.make sure your thumb is glued to the back of the neck..start on the first fret and ascend to the 12th fret and back down the same way..when it starts to hurt relax your hand.little by little until it becomes easier..this is how i trained my 3rd and 4th finger..3rd finger on the 1st fret and pinky does the trill..
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

the crush wrote:Also the first part of the 2nd. solo I have to leave my middle finger fretted and pull off with my pinky, I can't seem to lift my middle finger and pinky how Randy does it on after hours and play it fast enough! ! lol! Randy the best!
my only ever guitar teacher always told me not to move fingers when they don't need to to help with hand fatigue (he did say lots of finger movement does impress people watching though) ..... so keeping the middle finger fretted has always been the way I do it to
the crush
Cool Member

Post by the crush »

sytharnia wrote:
the crush wrote:Also the first part of the 2nd. solo I have to leave my middle finger fretted and pull off with my pinky, I can't seem to lift my middle finger and pinky how Randy does it on after hours and play it fast enough! ! lol! Randy the best!
my only ever guitar teacher always told me not to move fingers when they don't need to to help with hand fatigue (he did say lots of finger movement does impress people watching though) ..... so keeping the middle finger fretted has always been the way I do it to
yes! your right ! thanks! and thanks tito that's a good tip to use I need to practice that way more often! !! but I swear I can hear a slight flanger in their.
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

the crush wrote:
sytharnia wrote:
yes! your right ! thanks! and thanks tito that's a good tip to use I need to practice that way more often! !! but I swear I can hear a slight flanger in their.
While keeping the middle finger fretted it will sound probably less clean because there is more chance that two strings will ring together when not muted very quick and accurate with the right hand. It's only about very tiny inches in time, but you will hear it. Muting that precise with the right hand to let ring only one string at a time is really hard to do. (at least to me) It will sound just a little bit sloppy. So it's easier to let it sound clean the way Randy plays it. I think it's no coincidence he played it like that.
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

It is definitely the MXR flanger. The speed is set high and depth low. I have the same MXR 3 knob big yellow chorus he had and sounds nothing like that with the speed up high.
the crush
Cool Member

Post by the crush »

Great point! Flying Dutchman, I have seen quite a few guitar players play that part like Randy, it does seem to flow and sound better that way! I get what you are saying, I remember seeing that part on after hours years ago for the 1st. time and thinking man! I been playing that part wrong! what is he doing their? lol! '. And theirs the question on using inside or outside picking, I tend to use inside picking starting with a down stroke, but I also like to practice that part with outside picking and it feels more natural lifting my middle finger that way, starting with a up stroke. But when playing that riff live or on the spot, I tend to inside pick and plant that middle finger, but I'm sure you are right about it not being a coincidence how Randy plays that part.
the crush
Cool Member

Post by the crush »

Shockwave wrote:It is definitely the MXR flanger. The speed is set high and depth low. I have the same MXR 3 knob big yellow chorus he had and sounds nothing like that with the speed up high.
thanks shockwave I'm gonna give that a try with speed set high and depth low, I don't have that flanger pedal but I have digitech rp 1000 i use it just for modulation effects, it has a few different flanger 's thanks!!!
Nick
Cool Member

Post by Nick »

On a side not it doesn't even look like Randy's amps are. On

NO RED LIGHT ON THE FRONT OFTHE AMP
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

I was going to say stereo chorus, but you might be right it might just be flanger with the settings adjusted................but the keyboard is playing alongside it too , so it sounds mega weird .
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

mojopin70 wrote:..............but the keyboard is playing alongside it too , so it sounds mega weird .
yeah that's what makes it tough to figure out exactly whats going on .... I was listening to "tonight" earlier and was thinking how great it would be to hear a guitars only track because there is a lot going on that makes it hard to pick out exactly what randy's playing