Randy Rhoads stole from frehley !!..hardly

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

alborg
Cool Member

Randy Rhoads stole from frehley !!..hardly

Post by alborg »

http://www.kissfaq.com/forum11/viewtopi ... 1&t=101784

Some unbelievable shit going on in this thread on one of the KISS boards. I grew up a KISS fan & still love the 70's stuff but some comments are crazy...
camdenlp
Cool Member

Re: Randy Rhoads stole from frehley !!..hardly

Post by camdenlp »

I got thru about a page. I swear, KISS superfans are delusional. I'm not surprised.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

Those posts are hilarious :lol:
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

To be honest, I do hear Ace influences in Randy's playing. Especially during his QR days.
Still that doesn't take anything away from Randy's talent! :)
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

Post by CanuckRhoadsFan »

I like Ace's playing also; he did some classic stuff. Once again, however, this is a case where you need to separate the artist from his art. Ace is, by many accounts, a less than savoury character - his guitar work is stellar, however.

Comparing him to Randy is preposterous, though. To me, it's two different styles of playing, and each has their own merits. I fail to understand why people always have to put guitarists against one another like this. Randy was taking his guitar work in one direction, Ace in another.

This KISS board fails to see the difference, and they're rabid about "defending" Ace, when it comes to playing. Whatever.

My personal favorite was the guy that said he'd rather listen to Tommy Thayer than Randy. Whatever floats your boat, I guess!
alborg
Cool Member

Post by alborg »

CanuckRhoadsFan wrote:My personal favorite was the guy that said he'd rather listen to Tommy Thayer than Randy. Whatever floats your boat, I guess!
Blasphemy in the highest level.

Not a fan of comparing guitarists. Too many great musicians that have created amazing music.
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

alborg wrote:
CanuckRhoadsFan wrote:My personal favorite was the guy that said he'd rather listen to Tommy Thayer than Randy. Whatever floats your boat, I guess!
Blasphemy in the highest level.

Not a fan of comparing guitarists. Too many great musicians that have created amazing music.
Agreed.

While I don't like comparing guitarists either, I just don't understand how anyone could think that TT is a better player than RR. It seems to me that it's just a case of choosing a KISS guitarist above anyone else.

TT seems to me to a solid, journeyman player, but he's mostly playing other people's music. I'm not familiar with or aware of any original music by him. I'm sure he has some, but he's not in the same league knowledge or ability wise as RR was, IMO. And that's what most of these comparisons boil down to....opinion.
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

I havent read the thread but whats really sad is people who make those kind of comments probably think tommy was in kiss from the beginning!!i always love ignorant minds they make me laugh and never make me want to argue with such stupidity.if you try to argue with an idiot what does it make you?worse than the idiot!!!good thread though.
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

Tito wrote:I havent read the thread but whats really sad is people who make those kind of comments probably think tommy was in kiss from the beginning!!i always love ignorant minds they make me laugh and never make me want to argue with such stupidity.if you try to argue with an idiot what does it make you?worse than the idiot!!!good thread though.

I agree, Tito. However, providing the idiot with facts helps to combat and reverse their ignorance. That is, if they are so inclined to actually listen to the facts. :)
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

Very true but usually most ignorant of facts are gonna stick to thier guns no matter what facts you throw at them lol
TAB
Madman

Post by TAB »

poofters
Last edited by TAB on Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

Now that was perfect tom!!!!!it just happens when you play guitar..
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

Tito wrote:Very true but usually most ignorant of facts are gonna stick to thier guns no matter what facts you throw at them lol

It's true! :D
rokket
Madman

Post by rokket »

Highly unlikely RR would have set out to 'steal' anything from any guitarist, it's not like RR couldn't come up with his own cool sounding riffs or chord progressions. He may have heard something from Frehley and thought.....'that sounds kinda of cool' and may have put his own spin on it.....who knows....it happens. How many guitarists, drummers ...musicians in general have 'borrowed', in one way or another, something from a fellow musician........happens all the time. As for comparing Tommy Thayer to RR ...well thats pretty crazy, I doubt Thayer will come up with a classic guitar riff of his own that stands the test of time.
dannyahansen
Mass Poster

Post by dannyahansen »

I guess if nothing else it provided for some entertainment. Comparing guitarists is really quite juvenile. It is something I used to do when I was 16. Then I realized something magical. That you could like more than one guitar player and that there really wasn't a "best". Instead I started to focus on who and what inspires me to play. And that is a very different question and it is answered very differently from person to person. But I think that question opens up for a more in depth conversation about music in general.

Now it just happens that Ace does absolutely nothing for me. The other interesting thing is that Jimi Hendricks doesn't do anything for me either. Both of them are great though and I really like what they did. Anyway carry on.