Laughing Gas Demo

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Laughing Gas Demo

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I'd heard rumours of this existing, but I never thought I'd hear it... it's a bit slower than I'm used to with the live versions and Randy's soloing definitely improved by '79, but still, new Randy audio!

And if this was posted previously, sorry, I didn't see it...

Thanks to Des Sherwood for uploading it (there's a name I didn't think I'd ever type again.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0yssl6TUVE
stealaway
Mass Poster

Re: Laughing Gas Demo

Post by stealaway »

Yes, that´s an interesting gem indeed!!! I have to agree; Randy´s soloing had much improved by 1979!!! I guess all the practise, gigs and teaching guitar payed off!!! :mrgreen:
Mikel
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Post by orion_damage »

Pretty cool listening to this, just shows that even the greats grow.
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

We did get offered this about 6 years ago but it would have had an audio water mark that played every 30 seconds. I tried to get it without but the conversation dried up and if I recall correctly their were more unheard demos but this was the most sought after. The ones we were offered had been put together by Kevin DuBrow for a follow to the QR the RR years CD but the family went cold on the idea after the new recordings had been back in the studio to be cleaned up.

The water mark idea was the only way that the chap who had the recordings felt comfortable adding then here without KD's permission but KD had passed away already. In the end I wanted to add them even with the watermark but he had moved on, his phone didn't work nor did his email account.
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I downloaded this and put it through Adobe Audition and increased the speed by 10% to make it sound more like the live boots... sounds MUCH better that way.
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

Paul Wolfe wrote:I downloaded this and put it through Adobe Audition and increased the speed by 10% to make it sound more like the live boots... sounds MUCH better that way.
Is it possible the tape has stretched?
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

skezza wrote:
Paul Wolfe wrote:I downloaded this and put it through Adobe Audition and increased the speed by 10% to make it sound more like the live boots... sounds MUCH better that way.
I was told it was slower than the live version but live versions are often faster because the energy pushes you to really go for it!

I think laughing gas is a nothing song so I was surprised they even recorded it.
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
SanDimasCharvel
Cool Member

Post by SanDimasCharvel »

Trigger wrote:We did get offered this about 6 years ago but it would have had an audio water mark that played every 30 seconds. I tried to get it without but the conversation dried up and if I recall correctly their were more unheard demos but this was the most sought after. The ones we were offered had been put together by Kevin DuBrow for a follow to the QR the RR years CD but the family went cold on the idea after the new recordings had been back in the studio to be cleaned up.

The water mark idea was the only way that the chap who had the recordings felt comfortable adding then here without KD's permission but KD had passed away already. In the end I wanted to add them even with the watermark but he had moved on, his phone didn't work nor did his email account.
Wow. Very cool. Can’t wait to check out that audio later tonight.

I met Kevin once and he mentioned the follow-up to QR RR Years and that he wished he had the 1/4” tape for “One In A Million”. So he did some studio work on the follow-up like he did on the first one, but the family didn’t like it?

I think “Picking Up the Pieces” had come out fantastic on that album.
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

Trigger wrote:
skezza wrote:
I was told it was slower than the live version but live versions are often faster because the energy pushes you to really go for it!

I think laughing gas is a nothing song so I was surprised they even recorded it.
It's just your generic rock song really. I remember really liking it growing up, but I think that was the awe in the guitar playing. When you get older and look at things more objectively, you realise it's a very ordinary song with an outrageous solo at the end of it.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I feel the 'generic' thing with the majority of rock music from the 70s and 80s. I LOVED Blue Oyster Cult back in the day (still do), but now that I can play guitar better, slot of there stuff is fairly basic.

Laughing Gas was a vehicle for Randy's solo... as such it was perfect.