Nick Hughes
Cool Member

Cool stuff I found

Post by Nick Hughes »

devorerd
Cool Member

Re: Cool stuff I found

Post by devorerd »

Very cool Nick..I remember seeing the set list in a mag a while back...Something like Randy's last gig...Wonder if he used the Black Jackson that night?
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

The set list was discussed here in 2012 i scanned the pic from the magazine and a few comments mentioned the guitars listed next to each track. Check it out

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6537&hilit=setlist
devorerd
Cool Member

Post by devorerd »

Thanks for the historical perspective and with the solo speculation..I just got CD's of DOAM, Albuquerque, NM and El Paso, TX...So I'll listen again to the Band Jam, but it really seems likely that Randy did switch to the Les Paul during the drum solo..I don't recall any dive bombs, after Tommy's portion, etc..They go into "Good Bye to Romance" off of Airey's Keyboard performance seamlessly, especially on the Texas gig..
stress2stress2
Cool Member

Post by stress2stress2 »

The list indicates that he is using the Charvel (New One) for FHA. Probably the black one since it has been reported that it was used on FHA close to the end.
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

I forget which show it was in feburary but I believe he is using on I don't know. The reason I think this is because he does not do any of the normal neck bends that he normally did on every other boot we have of him. It was one of those 3 main shows we have of Feb 82
dannyahansen
Mass Poster

Post by dannyahansen »

Shockwave wrote:I forget which show it was in feburary but I believe he is using on I don't know. The reason I think this is because he does not do any of the normal neck bends that he normally did on every other boot we have of him. It was one of those 3 main shows we have of Feb 82
I have heard from a few people who had attended shows in 82 that Randy did use the black Jackson for "I Don't Know".
Nick Hughes
Cool Member

Post by Nick Hughes »

I though he used it for over the mountain and I don't know
devorerd
Cool Member

Post by devorerd »

If he did use it for Over the Mountain and I don't know it would have to be retuned in between, which is possible since those tunes were far apart in the set, but unlikely...Roadies retune (slight adjustments) not a 1/2 up or down.....It more likely that Randy used the black Jackson for tunes a 1/2 down and since he was comfortable using the Les Paul on I don't know (and adjusting the G string with his right hand by trilling with his left during the song, which he often did in QR) it's a low probability. That said, I didn't see a live gig...but the Les Paul seemed to last and based on his experience with the the "Charvel" or "Jackson" whatever you want to call it, it's unlikely he would us it for multiple songs....i.e. 3 in a row for the DOAM set.
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

Ya no way he would use the white jackson on I don't know. The black one I thought I heard that he used it on I don't know but that was like ten years ago so it's fuzzy.
devorerd
Cool Member

Post by devorerd »

So I just listened to the band Jam from El Paso Tx and New Mexico (the recent CD's is just got..."Texas Madman and Mexican Revolution), Randy switches guitars during the drum solo no doubt. Different tones, totally, the Les Paul is more "creamier", where as the "PDV" has more of a treble based tone to it. If anyone saw these shows, please chime. in...I'm convinced.
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

devorerd wrote:So I just listened to the band Jam from El Paso Tx and New Mexico (the recent CD's is just got..."Texas Madman and Mexican Revolution), Randy switches guitars during the drum solo no doubt. Different tones, totally, the Les Paul is more "creamier", where as the "PDV" has more of a treble based tone to it. If anyone saw these shows, please chime. in...I'm convinced.

Thats what he did no doubt IMO because they rolled right into GTR from there.
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

dannyahansen wrote:
Shockwave wrote:I forget which show it was in feburary but I believe he is using on I don't know. The reason I think this is because he does not do any of the normal neck bends that he normally did on every other boot we have of him. It was one of those 3 main shows we have of Feb 82
I have heard from a few people who had attended shows in 82 that Randy did use the black Jackson for "I Don't Know".
Yeah, this photo could have been the bend/tapping part on the b-string in the "I don't know" ~ solo :
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

Yes no doubt now that he tried it at least on I don't know!
devorerd
Cool Member

Post by devorerd »

Wow, sure looks like the riff in IDN...Curious, did anybody witness this?