Randy's solo spot light Axe

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

devorerd
Cool Member

Re: Randy's solo spot light Axe

Post by devorerd »

Gotta tell you..Max seems a bit confused as to which axe it was..Obviously, the PDV wasn't a Charvel, he didn't even have the white Charvel at the time blizzard was recorded. The Daisely outtakes would be interesting to listen to from a guitar standpoint, from the tidbits he has released it sure sounds like the Les Paul when he is shredding on what would become Crazy Train. Thanks for digging up the article, I do recall reading that now.
shred1
Madman

Post by shred1 »

Lessons with Paul Chapman? Awesome.
One of my all-time favourite guitarists.
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

It wasn't don airey who helped create the band jam it was Lyndsey Bridgwater, I say this because randy as stated above utilised areas of his earlier solo but Lyndsey was in the band first on the DOAM tour.
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
devorerd
Cool Member

Post by devorerd »

shred1 wrote:Lessons with Paul Chapman? Awesome.
One of my all-time favourite guitarists.
shred1
Madman

Post by shred1 »

Don't wanna derail this thread, but.... tell us more about lessons with Tonka!
devorerd
Cool Member

Post by devorerd »

Sure, no problem...I was in a local music store in the late 80's, it was called Florida Discount Music in Melbourne, FL...So I'm walking around and I hear this guy totally ripping it in this room...So I'm hanging out by the door and a sales person sees me.."Hey can I help you"?..Who is that in there?.."That's our guitar instructor, Paul"..Are you interested in taking lessons...uh..Yeah!..Ok, he's almost down he finishes at the top of the hour..So I wait and he comes out...Hello...want to learn how to play guitar?..So I took lesson from him for three years straight, once a week...Very much like Randy use to teach...First thing he taught me..G Major scale...He would record all lessons on a cassette, every week he would put the cassette in a say, ok, play it for me...Super cool guy, I would go to local clubs and see him play..He use to play Hendrix's Red House and just rip the solo..He taught me a ton of things, he uses his "shapes" method with is really easy to understand. I can also recall Paul saying to me..Now, before you go to bed, visualize a note..like a C#...and find that not all over the fretboard..On his best of CD, which I have, there is a song about Pete Way called, "Yes Man"....There are some great lines, specifically, "You never carry any cash, your transparent in a flash, I can't believe the way things went when I left them up to you...".....chorus..."He changes with the wind, he's the Yes Man, everybody's friend, he's the Yes Man"...Obviously he's not too fond of his old bandmate.

We talked about Randy as well...He played that PDV a few times and said Randy was a really nice guy...He also told me that on the day off (the day Randy passed) he was going to try and get him in to see his dentist, Randy's teeth were still bothering him...The solo on "Waysteads" "So Long"..the trill part, that was Rhoads inspired..

Paul actually got turned on to Melbourne, Florida by Angus Young....He and the boys from AC/DC came here after touring..
shred1
Madman

Post by shred1 »

Cool stuff!
Very familiar with all Paul's stuff, including Ghost.

Yes, I have read that Randy and Paul became fast friends in the Spring of 82, and would spend hours messing with the free Washburn guitars that Paul was offered as an endorser. Lots of footage on YouTube of the UFO fellas mashing away on A20s (Washburn's version of an Explorer) during this period.

A very different player than Randy, I certainly appreciate Tonka's command of country and western/bluegrass type licks being blown out of a wall of Vox amps. Great guitar tone.

He is very underrated IMO.

A great clip of Tonka showcasing some RR influence in this solo. Smoking!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt0o0997ssA
dannyahansen
Mass Poster

Post by dannyahansen »

devorerd wrote:I would go to local clubs and see him play..He use to play Hendrix's Red House and just rip the solo..He taught me a ton of things, he uses his "shapes" method with is really easy to understand. .
The shapes method. Seems a lot of people use that method. That is primarily how I was taught. Good times.
devorerd
Cool Member

Post by devorerd »

shred1..thanks that was way cool..Paul had all kinds of cool pictures in his teaching room..My fav was that classic shot (seems like all guitar players get this one) behind him with a stadium full of people, down to earth guy for sure..Wow, impressed you knew about Ghost! I could barely hold a guitar let alone play it when I started and Paul could care less..I had this cheap Harmony that after a year, I wore that thing out and Paul helped me get a B.C. Rich Warlock at employee price at the store, $380..that's they kind of guy he is.

Shapes, totally, remind me a lot of the rolling scale passage that Randy used..Simplifies scale concepts, very true brings back good memories!