Found proof of cameras at Day on the Green on 7/4/81

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

TAB
Madman

Found proof of cameras at Day on the Green on 7/4/81

Post by TAB »

:fish:
Last edited by TAB on Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Re: Found proof of cameras at Day on the Green on 7/4/81

Post by mojopin70 »

Interesting, although from the same angle later there is no one present filming? unless it was from the other side.....
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

Wow clear as day LOL...we have looked for years for a camera from other bands that day also and just wow...just like that.

This footage could just unreal if he filmed it. At least we know who to look for in other pictures now. Maybe the guy smartened up and moved to Randy's side during there show? I doubt that though, he probably heard that Rudy was the man in the band and he should film him constantly and wait for the finger licks.
Nick Hughes
Cool Member

Post by Nick Hughes »

Why would you only have pro film from one side of the stage ? Maybe the cameraman was on the other side filming

EXTREMELY NICE FIND
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

Monsters of rock 79 was the same recorded stage left n right with the cam in the audience...thanks tom bout time huh?lol
Nick Hughes
Cool Member

Post by Nick Hughes »

Who would have the pro footage ?

Let's look through the footage that was from other bands that same day and look at the end credits and we could contact the various company's listed in the credits

IF THERE IS FOOTAGE WE WILL FIND IT
TAB
Madman

Post by TAB »

poofters
Last edited by TAB on Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Good eye Tom, i have checked over many photos from this gig Heart BOC Ozzy etc and i have looked for a camera guy on the stage. Ross Halfin's photos from this gig turned up in many music mags full page shots. I have not seen a camera on stage. I know the guy could of been in the crowd or just out of shot. But you don't know the score with 415 they may of needed this boost for their record company. I had heard of them and they were just a small band but they had landed themselves some good support slots. This film may of been used for promo purposes with it being a major festival. i know many big festivals had guys with cameras on stage but these are used to project the shot film direct to big screens in the auditorium. I know many large arena venues did this in the 80's. I have looked for the screens at this venue and i have never noticed any. Let us hope that the Ozzy set was filmed i think this would be an amazing gig to see. Cheers for posting the link to that guys photos some great sets from some awesome bands.
TAB
Madman

Post by TAB »

poofters
Last edited by TAB on Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

Maybe this guy was shooting what was part of the infamous MTV footage of DOTG that a few said they said they saw in the credits back in 83 or whatever.

Whats the deal with the camera he was using, was it reels that lasted only a few minutes a piece, or was he hardwired back somewhere most likely so the feed was never interrupted?

No way this was the only band recorded, even if he was there just to do that, i am sure he would have did some extra here and there.

What was the order of the bands that played that day?
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

TAB wrote:Just wanted to share this and throw it out there. For years we have heard no cameras were at DOTG but I think everyone was looking for stationary cameras or tripods. I met someone years ago that swore they filmed it. The Port Vale thread got me thinking of walking around cameras. I started searching photo sets on flickr and someone named guitartomy took amazing photosets of all the bands that day from Heart, Loverboy, etc. We have seen posted his photos of Ozzy from that day also. I came across his set that was of the opening band called 415 I believe. If you look to the left and low and behold you see a guy filming with a pro shot camera. It would make sense he filmed all the bands possibly from different locations but that''s something positive. Looks like he has an access pass on his leg too.
Great find TAB! 8)
We've been looking for years for evidence and at least now we can say there was a CAM that day! :)
Digged a bit into the past:
rokket wrote:Yep, I got thrown off track by typing in Journey 1981 Day On The Green in youtube and it threw a video clip up......ok ...well....It'd be worth asking Eric Martin (Mr.Big) if he remembers that day being filmed.....his band played same day as Ozzy.....band was called "415" back then.
Topic:"The Footage of Day on the Green DOES exist"

So Eric Martin was the singer of "415" then and they were filmed there. Maybe someone can contact him about this?
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

Here is another

This one, setting up? Putting it away? Fixing a problem?
Last edited by Shockwave on Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

And this one pisses me off the most...This is not the camera man, but it is the most close up and clearest picture I have ever seen of the sound booth...And of course because it is Randy...the one side of the damn sound booth we all wanted to see is just out of the picture.....You know, that thing in the other pictures we have seen of the sound booth that looks like a camera sitting on a tri-pod....Well its about 2-4' more to the left of what the picture shows :twisted:

Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

Here is another pic from someone taking a picture of holding the flag, you can see the heart in the backround that is in the same black and white pic above. No sign of the tripod thing though

The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

TAB wrote:Yes I agree that all the photos we always saw those side angles never showed cameras from Halfins pics to others. Thats why I was so surprised when I caught this. I would say if they filmed Ozzy it was done not on the stage because with all the photos it would have been spotted. For instance below is Aerosmith and Ac DC DOTG from 79 from a side view and also distance and pro shot. So it would not surprise me if they filmed Ozzy now. Someone is sitting on the footage. I am thinking Bill Graham filmed these concerts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJB8yVbv8mk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz_JGJuYL40

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEwy9WiEXPw
It looks the side footage in these clips was done by just one guy moving around with a cam, just like the guy in the photos who filmed "415" at DOTG '81.
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.