Blizzard of Ozz live Cues in Bob`s own words....

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

mojopin70
Mass Poster

Blizzard of Ozz live Cues in Bob`s own words....

Post by mojopin70 »

I thought i would post this since it was something heavily disputed by one or two members a couple of months ago and turned into another mud slinging/getting personal topic.Basically the discussion was if Bob Daisley had given cues to Randy in the first uk tour to help him out in Blizzard of Ozz . In fact he goes further by saying it happened between Lee and himself also. ( there is a photo in his book of what looks like eye contact and a cue that has also been heavily disputed and scrutinized ).

Fast forward to around 2:45

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10 ... =2&theater
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Re: Blizzard of Ozz live Cues in Bob`s own words....

Post by sytharnia »

Don't know the thread you are talking about but its very standard stuff for cueing off each other when playing live and its very common that its the bass player that kinda leads it because they are the glue between the time keeper (drummer usually) and the driver (usually guitarist)

I remember years ago I joined a band as bassist (never played bass to that point) and we had a gig 2 days after I joined and one of the guitarist was looking at me for cues :shock: (he had been in the band from the beginning 9 months earlier) and I was looking at him....safe to say it was very "jazz" for a lot of the gig :D
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

sytharnia wrote:Don't know the thread you are talking about but its very standard stuff for cueing off each other when playing live and its very common that its the bass player that kinda leads it because they are the glue between the time keeper (drummer usually) and the driver (usually guitarist)

I remember years ago I joined a band as bassist (never played bass to that point) and we had a gig 2 days after I joined and one of the guitarist was looking at me for cues :shock: (he had been in the band from the beginning 9 months earlier) and I was looking at him....safe to say it was very "jazz" for a lot of the gig :D

Yes it makes more sense to me as im a musician myself....

Heres the topic.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8431&hilit=randy+cues
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
Mr. Wolfe
Cool Member

Post by Mr. Wolfe »

Thanks for the link.

I've been to countless shows and seen more on video and I've got to say most bands give one another cues at least a few times during a show.

In both of these videos you can see Randy and Rudy look to Tommy for a visual cue to end the song:

mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

Exactly Paul it is entirely normal and natural in a live set up....i was shot down for even suggesting this before and told i wouldnt know because i had never seen the Blizzard Band live so i couldnt comment...

I can comment from my own personal experience though, and i always look for cues or give cues depending on the song , mix , venue etc...

Here are two photos one is in Bob`s book Shaun posted both of these photos i think but left these comments one on each photo.

Shaun: Oh is that Bob prompting Lee on how to come out of a song. A : Yes Bob has just said so in the above audio interview .

Shaun :If your referring to this photo i'll have to say 'no way'. This was the last gig of the tour (Canterbury 1st Nov). If Randy was still unsure on the set after 33 gigs ???. A : The videos Paul posted were even later on 1981/82 yet Rudy and Randy clearly look to Tommy for visual cues.

In Bobs audio interview above he said specifically Randy would look to him for cues on that first uk tour...
Attachments
Blizzard Coventry 1980.jpg
(29.23 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Blizzard Canterbury gig 1980.jpg
(33.59 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

Its totally natural no matter how good a musician you are!!
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Kicking up the dust again FFS... OK i'll just keep me comments to myself in future.
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

As usual shooting down the messenger....