Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

alborg
Cool Member

Nikki Sixx & Randy...

Post by alborg »

https://twitter.com/nikkisixx

Nikki Sixx ‏@NikkiSixx 16m
Yes I knew Randy Rhoads... We used to hang out in the late 70's and he asked me to join Quiet Riot in 79 but I had my own little band.;)

The drugs must have eaten away his brain. That hack had no chance of playing in QR with Randy. Ron Sobol said he couldn't play in his DVD that came with the book.
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Re: Nikki Sixx & Randy...

Post by sytharnia »

yep pretty sure I remember kevin saying nikki was desperate to join QR but they didn't want anything to do with him
tommyvance87

Post by tommyvance87 »

i am reading 'the dirt' and Nikki hung out at the Starwood in 79/80...
not really called tommy! late great TV exposed me to RR in 1987, forever thankful
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

I dont see why this would be hard to believe, the fact is Quiet Riot`s music was not complex at all.
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

Ya Nikki definitely was average at best, but was and still is a great song writer. He would have helped QR if anything with his writing and attitude. Rudy is a great guy and all but he was just a showman and in the same class as far as bass skills as Nikki.
stress2stress2
Cool Member

Post by stress2stress2 »

From Kevin:

http://www.fullinbloommusic.com/kevin_dubrow.html

FIB MUSIC: Was Nikki any good at that time?

Kevin: No. He didn't know the names of the notes. Yeah, so Randy couldn't sit there and teach him how to play bass and we really liked him as a person, but he just didn't know how to play the instrument...that's not an insult, it's just a fact. I mean, in 1977 he did not know the instrument.

FIB MUSIC: But he actually sat down and jammed with you and Randy?

Kevin: Not really. We said the song is in the key of F and he said, "where's F?". So we couldn't get as far as jamming, to be honest with you.
RRfan4eveRR

Post by RRfan4eveRR »

I can't even recall how many times that I've heard about Nikki trying out for QR and that he couldn't even tune his instrument- and that Randy couldn't teach him (a matter of time or perhaps just an adamant refusal) I mean, the sources were always respectful and made sure to compliment his future playing, etc- so why the hell is Nikki saying the opposite?

I believe the multiple sources as opposed to Nikki, most of the people that had mentioned his audition didn't even get along. I wonder what prompted this whole thing? Maybe he got wind that his audition made the bio? Ego much, Nikki? Who cares!
I don't have a short attention span I
RRfan4eveRR

Post by RRfan4eveRR »

....well maybe Randy did ask Nikki to try out? So I guess that technically Nikki may not be lying, but it's still disingenuous as fuck to put it it there like that!
I don't have a short attention span I
stress2stress2
Cool Member

Post by stress2stress2 »

For the record, although I'm not a huge fan, I like The Crue and Nikki. It is undeniable that they are iconic.

My posting was done to help get Kevin's on-the-record view of the audition, not slag Nikki.

All musicians know that we all sucked at some point when we were starting to get a handle on our respective instruments. Very few are born fully-formed. Let's not forget that even Randy had to evolve from novice to master.

My respect to Nikki for having a robust, transparent, and meaningful career that many would love to have. I'd certainly shake his hand for a job well-done.

-Tim
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

Oh lord nikki auditioned after kelly left n randy said nope..whats the big deal?and as far as nikki changing history,well dead men tell no tales simple
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

stress2stress2 wrote:From Kevin:

http://www.fullinbloommusic.com/kevin_dubrow.html

FIB MUSIC: Was Nikki any good at that time?

Kevin: No. He didn't know the names of the notes. Yeah, so Randy couldn't sit there and teach him how to play bass and we really liked him as a person, but he just didn't know how to play the instrument...that's not an insult, it's just a fact. I mean, in 1977 he did not know the instrument.

FIB MUSIC: But he actually sat down and jammed with you and Randy?

Kevin: Not really. We said the song is in the key of F and he said, "where's F?". So we couldn't get as far as jamming, to be honest with you.
Why didnt they just simply show him the fret positions!?.Quiet Riot`s music wasnt musically complex . It sounds like musical snobbery to me and he sure looked the part.....
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
Mr. Wolfe
Cool Member

Post by Mr. Wolfe »

I've read many accounts of Nikki not being good in the early days... Wouldn't he have been in London in '79? Motley didn't form until '81. Even though he wasn't so good as a bassist, I've heard London packed the house because of their show. So when he says, "I had my own little band," He would have been referring to London.

I've also heard numerous accounts of the QR 'audition' and Randy saying he didn't want to teach Nikki to play, which I assumed he meant as he wanted someone who could just jump right in and fill Kelly's spot.
Attachments
nikkiqr.JPG
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

is this like when nikki ask sebastian bach to join the crue????

:mrgreen: :fish:

:P
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

actually, I believe that Motley was just starting to form, or atleast
hang out during that time :) I've also read the some girl from(The Runaways?) tried
teaching Nikki how yo play but with little success :P

Gotto give it to him though, he was a great songwriter and visionary :)
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

Stiltzkin wrote: Gotto give it to him though, he was a great songwriter and visionary :)
I agree his writing is great.....well he has done a lot of forgettable songs but the good ones are classic and I think he's got better as he gets older (from dr F he has really upped his game)