Ace Frehley/You Can't Kill Rock and Roll

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

Re: Ace Frehley/You Can't Kill Rock and Roll

Post by CanuckRhoadsFan »

As great of a player as Randy was, I've often thought that he "borrowed" bits of this and that from other stuff he'd done, and other music in general, and reworked it. I personally think it was a case of "we need to get these albums out the door, and let's move quickly" that prompted him borrowing things from his QR days and other sources.

We could already see Randy's genius at work when he was left to explore, musically, and create. I feel that this would have flourished more with time, and Randy would have amazed us with the stuff he composed. I mean, I'm already very impressed with his work with Ozzy....it's classic material that he came up with in a short time (with the assistance of others like Daisley and Kerslake, of course, but still, THAT GUITAR WORK!), and as I've said before, the tragedy is that he hadn't even peaked in terms of talent yet. Who knows what he may have given the world? Sad enough that the man lost his life, equally as sad that he didn't have the chance to share more of the music he loved.
randy will never die
Mass Poster

Post by randy will never die »

CanuckRhoadsFan wrote:As great of a player as Randy was, I've often thought that he "borrowed" bits of this and that from other stuff he'd done, and other music in general, and reworked it. I personally think it was a case of "we need to get these albums out the door, and let's move quickly" that prompted him borrowing things from his QR days and other sources.

We could already see Randy's genius at work when he was left to explore, musically, and create. I feel that this would have flourished more with time, and Randy would have amazed us with the stuff he composed. I mean, I'm already very impressed with his work with Ozzy....it's classic material that he came up with in a short time (with the assistance of others like Daisley and Kerslake, of course, but still, THAT GUITAR WORK!), and as I've said before, the tragedy is that he hadn't even peaked in terms of talent yet. Who knows what he may have given the world? Sad enough that the man lost his life, equally as sad that he didn't have the chance to share more of the music he loved.
I have noticed that too

Notice how mr Crowley and believers solo have similar parts
There are parts of suicide solution in the laughing gas from Quiet Riot

But Randy had a short time to right the guitar leads and rhythm parts
As time past randy truly blossomed musically
TWAPILOT

Post by TWAPILOT »

Listen again to the bells on Angel Theme. They are the notes to Mr. Crowley!!
On an adventure of faith...
lordv8dr

Post by lordv8dr »

Randy has the same guitar strap as Ace Frehley.

distortionplus
Cool Member

Post by distortionplus »

I don't know if has been ever mentioned, but I always thought "Laughing Gas" solo was structured the same as "Brighton Rock" by Queen. A lot of the same timing of phrases and variations of stuff BM did in that song. Everybody takes stuff from other guys and makes it there own in some form or fashion. Don't recall the songs , but have heard RR stuff in KIrk Hammett solo's and even C.C. Deville.
Isodee
Cool Member

Post by Isodee »

Gillan - Mr. Universe (promo 1979).

No wonder Sauron thought of hiring Bernie when Randy was gone. They had very similar licks.