Clips from the Randy Rhoads Remembered concert.

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Tito
Mass Poster

Re: Clips from the Randy Rhoads Remembered concert.

Post by Tito »

If i can interject one moment?srv is the only guitarist that makes my hair stand up..im not a blues lover in the least bit.to me its very limited..srv made it really interesting to me..but theres only so much you can do with M/m pentatonic scales..i love satriani and vai only because they are still relevant,and take scales and modes,and make them siiiiiing!!!sweeps to me mean nothing unless your redoing lets say a paganini or scarlatti piece.If its used,it should be done with taste and not to show what you can do..i compare it to someone who works out the natural way for 1 hour to someone who pumps sterhoids and worksout for 15 minutes..now i love how paul gilbert uses the 3 string skipping and alternate picking while using legato!!it sounds better than sweeping and it excercises your lazy ass 3rd and 4th fingers..plus it sounds way better!just my drunk thoughts on that...ESQUEEZEME!!!
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Post by whoopiecat »

I hate to go for the low-hanging fruit, but I've always been a fan of Brian Setzer, since 8th grade, I guess? MTV.
I do dig the "creepy" aspects of the Rockabilly genre, The Ghastly Ones, The Bomboras...I thank Rob Zombie for that, believe it or not.
Whenever I put on Blizzard or Diary, what a wonderful, delicate furious beast.... I MISS you, man!
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

maybe this topic should now be moved to off topic :roll:

:fish:
randy will never die
Mass Poster

Post by randy will never die »

sytharnia wrote:maybe this topic should now be moved to off topic :roll:

:fish:

I second that motion
Mr. Wolfe
Cool Member

Post by Mr. Wolfe »

Maybe everything should be in off topic. No one posts anywhere but "general" so all the conversations tend to drift off of Randy after a while.

OR maybe someone should try nudging things back on topic?

I thought all of the performances were good, although I thought Tracii Guns doing the Sabbath songs Randy hated was an odd choice for a tribute. It'd have made more sense (not to mention been more appropriate) to have played Laughing Gas or Back to the Coast than Iron Man/Children of the Grave.
dannyahansen
Mass Poster

Post by dannyahansen »

Mr. Wolfe wrote:
I thought all of the performances were good, although I thought Tracii Guns doing the Sabbath songs Randy hated was an odd choice for a tribute. It'd have made more sense (not to mention been more appropriate) to have played Laughing Gas or Back to the Coast than Iron Man/Children of the Grave.
Sounds good. I listened to several of them. I liked all of them. I thought it was funny some of the comments on Youtube. Some people were all pissed that some guitar players took some liberties and made up a solo. I didn't care after all it was remembrance of Randy. And one thing Randy stressed was coming up with your own style.
Mr. Wolfe
Cool Member

Post by Mr. Wolfe »

dannyahansen wrote:I thought it was funny some of the comments on Youtube. Some people were all pissed that some guitar players took some liberties and made up a solo. I didn't care after all it was remembrance of Randy. And one thing Randy stressed was coming up with your own style.
I found that funny as well. Randy sure didn't adhere to Iommi's solos when he played the Sabbath numbers. Too many people think it's sacrilege to change a single note Randy played when he himself, as you said, stressed being yourself.
lordv8dr

Post by lordv8dr »

If I lived near the venue, the show was worth the $25 for general admission. I don't live near the venue and I got the VIP ticket. I did not see Brad Gilis , Rudy Sarzo, or Gus G backstage in the VIP area after the show. Would have liked to get a picture with at least one of them.

The problem for me was the mix in the PA was horrible. Especially if you were on the floor. I guess with the PA speakers being up high it was a little bit better if you were sitting way up back in the top rows. I talked to a couple of people who confirmed the same. If you listen carefully while watching the youtube videos you can hear the bass, vocals, and the drums WAY out front in the mix.

This concert was suppose to heavily accent the guitar and it just wasn't there. Hard to hear the guitar most of the time. Yeah, it's just personal preference if the guitar player is going to play exact or take liberties and put their own spin on the solos. Personally I think its a badge of honor if you can rip out a Randy Rhoads solo note for note and I wanted to see that. I thought Traci Guns did a good job. Nuno, obviously great. Was cool to see Brad and Rudy on the same stage.

Still though, it was extremely annoying to hear vocals, drums, and bass step all over the guitar.

I know OZZY songs are hard to sing because Ozzy has such a unique voice, I'm sure Robert Mason is a good guy and really gave it his all but I just don't think he sounds the best when trying to sing Ozzy's/Randy's songs. He had a hard time hitting a lot of notes. So with the vocals so loud and up front in the mix it kinda sucked, Robert sounded awful. Robert struggled to hit the correct notes, it was disappointing and I would just cringe when Robert would hit a bad note.

If you watch the videos, at least I can tell, you can hear that vocal, drums, and bass are way up front in the mix. I talked to more than a few people after the show and they agreed that the guitar was hard to hear in the mix.

I flew a long ways to see this show and I had high expectations. There were many positives with the show, just for me, I probably won't go next time and I'll wait for it to come out on youtube.

My two cents
Remedylane
Cool Member

Post by Remedylane »

Im a bit late to the party on this.. Haven't logged on here in quite awhile. I thought all the guitarists and the band all did a great job for the most part. Vocals we're bad on nearly everything imo. Just not the right type of singer/singers to pull it off. And I heard lots of wrong lyrics and lyric flubs. Obviously, it was a tribute to Randy and not Ozzy, but the vocals still need to be right.
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

Mr. Wolfe wrote:
Stiltzkin wrote:
Mr. Wolfe wrote:I hate sweep arpeggios!!
What has sweep-picking done to you to deserve such hate? :P :lol:

Simply not a fan of the way it sounds. Especially those guys who sweep entire six string arpeggios one after another as if speed were somehow musical. To me it'd similar to Zakk overdoing the pinch harmonics or Ed tapping every damn thing... a little sweeping goes a loooooooonnnngggg way for me and it's overdone by the speed demons in my opinion.

Either that or I am old and set in my ways that the best guitar playing took place between 1978 and 1987 on the Sunset Strip :lol:

i consider myself lucky or nuts in that i enjoy listening to 60s hippy stuff like jimi,yardbirds,airplane as much as fair warning,diary of a madman etc.

i am glad i saw queen,vh and srv in the early 80s -unforgettable concerts.
How to tell a real RR signature: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=726&start=120
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

Mr. Wolfe wrote:It's funny, when I saw:
whoopiecat wrote:European guitarists outshine those from the states, imho...

~T.
Somehow I immediately thought "British"... weird how the mind works.

Ultimately though, I prefer American players. I do like a lot of the guys mentioned here, but if I had to choose, I'd choose American.
me too i think...
jimi,randy,evh...is evh american or euro player?he started playing guitar here not holland,right?
How to tell a real RR signature: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=726&start=120
devorerd
Cool Member

Post by devorerd »

On board with Mr. Wolfe, the sound is so compressed it's not pleasing to the ears.
No1UNo
Cool Member

Post by No1UNo »

You know who would've sounded good singing the Ozzy songs? Some of you may laugh, but Michael Sweet (Stryper) STILL has amazing pipes and can hit all of those high notes. I don't have a link to it, but Stryper's album a few years ago, "The Covering" had him singing "Over the Mountain". I didn't care much for the galloping interpretation of the rhythm / backing guitar, but I LOVED the singing and the rest of it. Michael and guitarist Oz Fox were huge Randy Rhoads fans back in the day.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

No1UNo wrote:You know who would've sounded good singing the Ozzy songs? Some of you may laugh, but Michael Sweet (Stryper) STILL has amazing pipes and can hit all of those high notes. I don't have a link to it, but Stryper's album a few years ago, "The Covering" had him singing "Over the Mountain". I didn't care much for the galloping interpretation of the rhythm / backing guitar, but I LOVED the singing and the rest of it. Michael and guitarist Oz Fox were huge Randy Rhoads fans back in the day.