Clips from the Randy Rhoads Remembered concert.

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

randy will never die
Mass Poster

Re: Clips from the Randy Rhoads Remembered concert.

Post by randy will never die »

nice :)
i saw the clips on youtube this afternoon

you beat me to the punch :D
Last edited by randy will never die on Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Post by whoopiecat »

Didn't realize Nuno was a fan of Randy's. When he was coming up in the clubs, he was a cross between Joe Perry's look and EVH's style.
Cool to see Skolnick involved once again. His Trio's rendition of GTR was easily one of the best covers I've heard.

~T.
Whenever I put on Blizzard or Diary, what a wonderful, delicate furious beast.... I MISS you, man!
Mr. Wolfe
Cool Member

Post by Mr. Wolfe »

I bet that was a fun show...

This is still my favorite tribute to Randy:

randy will never die
Mass Poster

Post by randy will never die »

Mr. Wolfe wrote:I bet that was a fun show...

This is still my favorite tribute to Randy:

i have allways loved michael angelo batio tribute to randy he is a really cool guy

my only complaint is that he uses too much sweep picking
Mr. Wolfe
Cool Member

Post by Mr. Wolfe »

randy will never die wrote:my only complaint is that he uses too much sweep picking
I hate sweep arpeggios!!

Over at the Metal Method forum I requested that he do a lesson on that tribute. I'd love to learn it and I'd love to know the thought process behind his choice of phrases.
alborg
Cool Member

Post by alborg »

Was the show filmed for some sort of release or only YouTube quality footage?...
dannyahansen
Mass Poster

Post by dannyahansen »

I was not even aware of this. I think all of these are freaking awesome. So much talent out there.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

Mr. Wolfe wrote:I hate sweep arpeggios!!
What has sweep-picking done to you to deserve such hate? :P :lol:
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

alborg wrote:Was the show filmed for some sort of release or only YouTube quality footage?...
wasn't even pro filmed as far as I know

I thought skolnick was the best note for note dude....he was awesome
Mr. Wolfe
Cool Member

Post by Mr. Wolfe »

Stiltzkin wrote:

Simply not a fan of the way it sounds. Especially those guys who sweep entire six string arpeggios one after another as if speed were somehow musical. To me it'd similar to Zakk overdoing the pinch harmonics or Ed tapping every damn thing... a little sweeping goes a loooooooonnnngggg way for me and it's overdone by the speed demons in my opinion.

Either that or I am old and set in my ways that the best guitar playing took place between 1978 and 1987 on the Sunset Strip :lol:
dannyahansen
Mass Poster

Post by dannyahansen »

Mr. Wolfe wrote:
Stiltzkin wrote:

Simply not a fan of the way it sounds. Especially those guys who sweep entire six string arpeggios one after another as if speed were somehow musical. To me it'd similar to Zakk overdoing the pinch harmonics or Ed tapping every damn thing... a little sweeping goes a loooooooonnnngggg way for me and it's overdone by the speed demons in my opinion.

Either that or I am old and set in my ways that the best guitar playing took place between 1978 and 1987 on the Sunset Strip :lol:
Curious. Have you listen to Jason Becker at all? I used to think the same way. Mainly because my only reference was the kids wanking it at GC. And most of them do it wrong and it sounds very unmusical. After listening to Jason I have a new respect for sweep picking. MAB does a great job too. The only thing I don't like about MAB style is all of the chromatic notes he uses. His technique is literally flawless though. But getting back to Jason have you heard songs like Serrana? Or there is a section in the song "Go Off" that has some really cool sweeps that he and Marty do in harmony that is based off of Pachelbel's Cannon transposed in G instead of D. I had not even attempted sweep picking until I heard Jason in 2009. Now I am literally hooked on them.
Mr. Wolfe
Cool Member

Post by Mr. Wolfe »

Danny, Jason Becker was a phenomenal player, I spent a period of time loving his stuff. The thing with sweep picking is that I don't care for the neo-classical kind of playing that it is most often associated with. At one point I really got into Frank Gambale's DVD lessons - he's a freaking master of sweeping.

Over time I simply realized that I prefer 70's glam guitar and 80's hair metal guitar over most other stuff. I love ZZ Top and SRV, just not the style that most often utilizes sweeping. Vai and Satriani are also phenomenal yet I couldn't listen to an entire CD by either of them. It's just a personal preference thing.
dannyahansen
Mass Poster

Post by dannyahansen »

Mr. Wolfe wrote:Danny, Jason Becker was a phenomenal player, I spent a period of time loving his stuff. The thing with sweep picking is that I don't care for the neo-classical kind of playing that it is most often associated with. At one point I really got into Frank Gambale's DVD lessons - he's a freaking master of sweeping.

Over time I simply realized that I prefer 70's glam guitar and 80's hair metal guitar over most other stuff. I love ZZ Top and SRV, just not the style that most often utilizes sweeping. Vai and Satriani are also phenomenal yet I couldn't listen to an entire CD by either of them. It's just a personal preference thing.
No worries. I understand it is a taste thing. It sounds like it really is not your preference. That is cool. I really don't like SRV but he was a great player. Same kind of thing. Just not my taste. I really like more of the melodic stuff. SRV is more of "let me make a statement with my guitar" like he was making a statement or saying a sentence. All the little nuances he does. In a certain sense Vai is like that too he just does it way differently. And I could not really sit down and listen to a whole Vai album either unless it was Passion and Warfar. Anyway I get you.
Mr. Wolfe
Cool Member

Post by Mr. Wolfe »

That was well said, Danny.