Was Randy's Death A Prank Gone Wrong?

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

RRfan4eveRR

Re: Was Randy's Death A Prank Gone Wrong?

Post by RRfan4eveRR »

As a woman, I'd like to think I'm being objective about this, so please bear with me with what I'm about to say.

No, the book doesn't say that Randy was a woman beater, only that he and Jan got info it when they split up. I don't take that as a sign of a man with power and control issues, only that their relationship had obviously deteriorated to the point that they physically fought. Also domestic violence was almost a societal norm in the 70's. As far as calling his girl fat on occasion, who here amongst us isn't guilty of messing with our partners? I talk shit to my boyfriend, and he returns the favor. I certainly wouldn't call him a woman beater nor a misogynist, and neither would I call Randy either of those adjectives.

There are several questionable stories in that book that are attributed to Randy himself with no other source to verify that he had indeed said that. The EVH/record store/DOAM claim immediately springs to mind. Certainly, the book is beautifully bound & printed, and contains many unseen photos and interviews with people that had previously been missing in action, but that alone doesn't mean that each and every word is gospel. And who is to say that Randy wasn't protecting himself from Jan's kicks to the groin, slaps/punches to the face?

With all of the houpla surrounding the documentary, the book, the lawsuit, etc- along with those who had tried but backed out of their dealings with the authors, I certainly would not put it past them to sneak a few jabs in on poor Randy's legacy out of spite for the family and friends that didn't cave in to their threats of "shit storms" or whatever have you.

Personally, I think that the authors sensationalized the break up with Jan and ran with the implications that made Randy look like shit in that regard. And some of the most cruel and sadistic backyards that roam the face of this planet with us are intelligent, sometimes even incredibly intelligent, the pricks that ran with this knew what it would do. I think they knew how to present small tidbits of info and plant other little things that would paint a rather large and ugly picture of Randy. And they knew that the family suing them would only imply the allegations must be valid, but Randy can no longer defend himself against this tale of something he did as a teenager. It would be nice if Jan would step up and shed some light on this darkness smearing his legacy, but I don't that will happen.
I don't have a short attention span I
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Since i have read the Rosen Klein book i have seen many comments which are in the favour of the family going ahead with the court proceedings and doing their best to sue the authors etc. What most people don't realise is that the people who put the book together had first hand info on Randy and his girlfriends. Most of this info came from letters post cards sent from Randy while he was on tour. The information giving from those alone was very private. So when the book was released it did have info in its contents which had never been seen before. The average fan read the book and made their own minds up. As far as me being a fan i felt like the authors had been dealt a low blow. Andrew Klein put his life savings into doing the book and most of the interviews gathered had to be funded out of his own pocket etc. at the end of the day he's been dragged over the coals and called all the names under the son. For what ?? for being a fan and putting a book together that the Rhoads family have read and don't like. They may have had visions of putting a book out, but would it of been a warts n' all book. I very much doubt it, they have read a few truths in the book and need to kick some asses for letting that info be put in the book. What ?? Randy was a woman beater and he burnt some girls shoes... Come on get a grip on the reality for one minute these are a couple of things that have took a chink out of his angelic armour and people are pissed off. Remember who this guy is, if you let off a loud fart in a lift he'd be cowering in the corner. He may of met his match letting off some steam with his girl friends. Like the above post has mentioned it's a life situation and you don't know why they fought and why. The post cards and letters which came from Jodi are probably a side of randy which we will never know as he was very open with her. A lot of the info from them private letters has been mentioned throughout the book and some of the info has not been mentioned at all. I may have gone off topic a bit but this is just my opinion on the issue. We can all be judgemental on this topic, but they are 2 sides to every story.
RRfan4eveRR

Post by RRfan4eveRR »

Honestly, I can't see Randy losing it-he was a teacher so obviously, he had infinite patience. Not only that but I can't envision him risking either of his hands in a fight nor his face, as he was ultra conscious of his image.

I'm trying to find logic to back up the claim that Randy hit women, and I just can't see it.

As far as the authors pouring their life savings into this book, if they did, I would assume they ate recouping that and then some. It's not only a book, but an entire fucking publishing agency they have now.
I don't have a short attention span I
Mr. Wolfe
Cool Member

Post by Mr. Wolfe »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:Since i have read the Rosen Klein book i have seen many comments which are in the favour of the family going ahead with the court proceedings and doing their best to sue the authors etc. What most people don't realise is that the people who put the book together had first hand info on Randy and his girlfriends. Most of this info came from letters post cards sent from Randy while he was on tour. The information giving from those alone was very private. So when the book was released it did have info in its contents which had never been seen before. The average fan read the book and made their own minds up. As far as me being a fan i felt like the authors had been dealt a low blow. Andrew Klein put his life savings into doing the book and most of the interviews gathered had to be funded out of his own pocket etc. at the end of the day he's been dragged over the coals and called all the names under the son. For what ?? for being a fan and putting a book together that the Rhoads family have read and don't like... We can all be judgmental on this topic, but they are 2 sides to every story.
Very well said, Shaun, I agree 100%
Mr. Wolfe
Cool Member

Post by Mr. Wolfe »

RRfan4eveRR wrote:As far as the authors pouring their life savings into this book, if they did, I would assume they are recouping that and then some. It's not only a book, but an entire fucking publishing agency they have now.

Nope. The book has to sell really well to even break even and a HUGE majority of Randy's fans have not bought the book...

Andrew Klein took a huge risk and put his money behind his love for Randy Rhoads and now he has to live with the gamble that hasn't paid off. I wish I had the courage he has.
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Post by whoopiecat »

As I've said elsewhere, when folks first learned of the documentary, many wanted the real deal when it came to telling Randy's story, yet when the trailer leaked, most seemed upset over the tale concerning Jackie Fox.
I do not buy into the myth of Randy being someone devoted to one girl/woman, didn't touch drugs, didn't drink. If that is what his mother chooses to believe, that's her right, doesn't mean I have to follow suit. He was just a guy, and had faults like the rest of us.
Do those faults cause me to like him any less? Not really, as the things he did in his personal life really aren't my business and have zero bearing on the music he wrote.
Due to human curiosity, and the need to know every last thing about someone we admire sometimes leads to folks to wanting to give some of that information back. Folks get hurt for some reason because the tale they've been told isn't true, as though Randy cheated them somehow.
I thought the book was wonderful, ditto for Sobol's. Obviously, there are some who disagree, and that remains their problem.
Kamalayka you are in a tough spot here, as you chose to spout off about something "some guy on youtube" said, and by passing some half-assed, half-informed judgement on Rhoads, when it's apparent you haven't read the book either.
Both RRFan & Shaun, you've made some excellent points I fully agree with and I appreciate your sharing them here.

~Tom
Whenever I put on Blizzard or Diary, what a wonderful, delicate furious beast.... I MISS you, man!
Mr. Wolfe
Cool Member

Post by Mr. Wolfe »

Tom, my issue with the Jackie Fox story in the documentary trailer isn't about whether it happened or not, but whether there is a good reason for including the story. I personally feel it was distasteful to talk about screwing a chick on the bathroom floor and I thought it was distasteful to tell us a bunch of losers were watching. Who cares if it happened, it's not something we need to hear about.

Having read the book twice, I think it is a great book for the most part. Some issues with it, but nothing worth mentioning. My first impression was to be offended, but upon reflection, discussion and re-reading, I think it'd be considered a must have for any fan of Randy Rhoads.

The Quiet Riot book as well. The DVD with that book was wonderful.

Paul
Mr. Wolfe
Cool Member

Post by Mr. Wolfe »

I'd like to address the 'woman-beater' issue. Sometimes you have to re-read a book to comprehend everything in it. Randy and Jan had a fight because they were breaking up and they were drunk.

The way I picture it, they were in an argument about her cheating on him, lots of yelling, he said something to piss her off, she hit him, he hit her back because he was drunk and they got into it.

It's not something I would do and I wouldn't allow it to happen around me, but it happens.

I'm sure there was regret on both sides after the fact.

Funny how things get blown up here and new reputations are established, like "Randy was a woman beater".
Sky
Madman

Post by Sky »

Mr. Wolfe wrote:
RRfan4eveRR wrote:As far as the authors pouring their life savings into this book, if they did, I would assume they are recouping that and then some. It's not only a book, but an entire fucking publishing agency they have now.

Nope. The book has to sell really well to even break even and a HUGE majority of Randy's fans have not bought the book...

Andrew Klein took a huge risk and put his money behind his love for Randy Rhoads and now he has to live with the gamble that hasn't paid off. I wish I had the courage he has.

Well it's a pity that Klein didn't have the courage of his convictions and be true to his word with Randy's family and friends. Any man who states 'You have my word...' in any situation and then deliberately breaks that word, is an untrustworthy liar, IMO.
Randy's family probably came to same conclusion about the people behind that book as I did... I wouldn't trust either of them as far as I could spit.
I've seen the book, it looks very good. I thought that it was sentimental, and biased at times, and the inaccuracies in some chapters made me doubt the accuracy of others. I haven't bought the book and I never will because I wouldn't give Margolis or Klein the time of day, let alone my hard-earned cash. So I guess that I'm one of the huge majority of Randy's fans, and I'm ok with that.
"Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't goin' away." - Elvis Presley
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

Load of bollocks Klein is an obsessional disturbed individual .Calling Randy`s mother on a regular basis after seeking out her home phone number to off load his grief would set any alarm bells ringing.However the alarm bells are not ringing for many people who have read the book it seems or they simply dont care or cant see the truth, and ive seen most of the book and it reads like a cheesy mills and boon novel.

And i honestly think he dropped acid when writing parts of the book just read this :

Quote Klein "i`m a million years old and i was born yesterday, wait an hour ago , no three seconds ago-im the soul of every human being on the planet"

There are large portions in this book that rambles on in this embarrassing , strange and childish manner its like a 15 year old girl writing poetry and her personal thoughts down in her bedroom for the first time.Except we all know its a grown fucking man typing away very creepy indeed.

The book has a massive gap in history from the time Rhoads came to the uk and includes no info of the writing of Diary of a Madman or Blizzard of Ozz ( yes unbelievable isnt it?)how the songs came about put together and loads of other info is missing unless they were stories that were already told. Bob Daisley`s book dedicates pages of info on that and includes photos.He can even remember which rooms they stayed in .....

So...to fill the massive gaps what does Klein do? Fill the book with loads of camp photos of Randy Rhoads with Jody and telling endless boring non-stories that very little people care about or shed any new light on his time with Osbourne.

It seems everything Klein and Margolis have touched has turned to shit ( failed documentary and law suit initiated by Rhoads family).Bravo you managed to piss off his mother.

Who cares if Klein poured his life savings into the book? He thought he was on to a WINNER. Thats his choice he obviously had delusions of grandeur because he certainly didnt do it for NOTHING.

Anyway this topic was called " Was Randy`s Death a Prank Gone Wrong?"
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
Mr. Wolfe
Cool Member

Post by Mr. Wolfe »

mojopin70 wrote:The book has a massive gap in history from the time Rhoads came to the uk and includes no info of the writing of Diary of a Madman or Blizzard of Ozz ( yes unbelievable isnt it?)how the songs came about put together and loads of other info is missing unless they were stories that were already told.
Maybe, just maybe he wasn't given permission to use the material he had regarding this time so it was forced to be omitted?
mojopin70 wrote:Anyway this topic was called " Was Randy`s Death a Prank Gone Wrong?"
So why are you discussing the book?

Look, I realize most of you have an issue with Andrew Klein and Peter Margolis because of what has been said on Bob Daisley's behalf and on behalf of Randy's family. You take both to be gold yet you refuse to believe anyone else could be worthy of believing.

No offense intended to Troy, but Bob has never come here himself to speak to anyone regarding any of this. Randy's family has never come here to speak about any of this and Andrew Klein has not come here to speak on this. This is all of us discussing things and throwing out our opinions.

It's good to know the negativity didn't ease up while I was gone. :lol:
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Post by whoopiecat »

That's my bad on the thread de-rail, guys, as I referenced words this thread's creator also said at the Klein/Rosen book thread.
Whenever I put on Blizzard or Diary, what a wonderful, delicate furious beast.... I MISS you, man!
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Post by whoopiecat »

In all honesty, Paul, I couldn't imagine Bob himself ever showing up here. At one time or another over the years, I've witnessed folks from the fan 'collective' flat-out shit upon folks of a more or less "V.I.P." status. That goes for this site, TK and the forum set up at the Documentary's original site way back when.
I imagine Troy takes the time to speak on Bob's behalf here, as this is where the more 'fanatic' of the fans dwell. I'm not generalizing, here, I'm one of us, after all! I'm sure this has been not only an eye-opening experience for Troy since joining here, but, an aggravating one as well.
Bob played it smart and had the fans come to him, via facebook, and he's been more than generous with his time and answers there, and that's good enough for me.
~T.
Mr. Wolfe
Cool Member

Post by Mr. Wolfe »

whoopiecat wrote:In all honesty, Paul, I couldn't imagine Bob himself ever showing up here.
I agree... my point being that as a group it seems some folks are trusted and some are ridiculed all based on hearsay.
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

Mr. Wolfe wrote:
mojopin70 wrote:The book has a massive gap in history from the time Rhoads came to the uk and includes no info of the writing of Diary of a Madman or Blizzard of Ozz ( yes unbelievable isnt it?)how the songs came about put together and loads of other info is missing unless they were stories that were already told.
Maybe, just maybe he wasn't given permission to use the material he had regarding this time so it was forced to be omitted?
mojopin70 wrote:Anyway this topic was called " Was Randy`s Death a Prank Gone Wrong?"
So why are you discussing the book?

Look, I realize most of you have an issue with Andrew Klein and Peter Margolis because of what has been said on Bob Daisley's behalf and on behalf of Randy's family. You take both to be gold yet you refuse to believe anyone else could be worthy of believing.

No offense intended to Troy, but Bob has never come here himself to speak to anyone regarding any of this. Randy's family has never come here to speak about any of this and Andrew Klein has not come here to speak on this. This is all of us discussing things and throwing out our opinions.

It's good to know the negativity didn't ease up while I was gone. :lol:
Because the last post on this thread seemed to have morphed into a discussion about the book i thought i was having a deja-vu moment .

Since ive joined this site ive seen quite a bit of negative crap written about Bob Daisley , does he deserve it ? nah...Does Randy`s family deserve it nope.

You know if Randy were still alive today klein would be obsessing about another musician. Even if Randy were still alive and Klein had written the book he would be the one probably initiating he legal process not his family on his behalf.....
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.