bernie talks randy

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

sytharnia
Mass Poster

bernie talks randy

Post by sytharnia »

Not sure if this has been posted before ..... pretty cool interview from a guy who even now seems nervous talking. Randy bit starts around 12mins I think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRaGl79ZxgA
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Re: bernie talks randy

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Bernie is a great guy i have always had a lot of respect for him. A cool interview cheers for posting it up ;-)
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

Heres Berne in 1985 playing live.( blue strat) INteresting style.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_Iyf4qKbJk
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

Post by CanuckRhoadsFan »

Bernie will forever have my respect for stepping into Randy's place to cover for him after Randy's tragic passing. Like he says in that interview, it was so difficult for him. I've never EVER heard him complain, though. He did an amazing job under the circumstances, IMO. He took it in stride like a man, and pushed through, moving forward under pressure that would have made a lesser player fold.

I can't even imagine what it would be like trying to follow a virtuoso like Randy, with his intricate musical knowledge and arrangements. Bernie's story of trying to figure out Randy's playing by listening on a cassette deck shows the chops he himself has as a player. He didn't have the benefit of today's digital music to hear the intricacies of Randy's arrangements, and he STILL managed to pull it off. You have to be impressed by that.

I also found it interesting that he speaks of the "psychology" of management taking him, a seasoned player, over the other guys (Rudy's brother and George Lynch), because he had experience with large crowds. He also mentions being completely different culture wise (he being Irish, the other guys American). I never really thought of this before, but it makes good sense. Bernie was totally different than Randy, and perhaps an attempt to not make the band or fans think about Randy so much, inadvertently, in some ways, I guess. The simple fact that the other guys were American may have made some fans resent the band replacing Randy with another American. Fans are sometimes funny in their thinking, and this may have happened. It turned out ok afterwards, though, as fans adjusted somewhat to Brad Gillis. It also makes me wonder if Sarzo and Lynch would have been up to the task. Bernie makes a good point, while not being critical or judgemental, about these guys not having as much experience as him. All in all, he did very well with what he was faced with.

Thanks for posting this interview! It further made me respect Bernie, and it seemed to give more of a well rounded picture of this time in the band, which often gets glossed over or lost in the ether of time.

Bernie Torme, you, sir, are a stand up guy, and a hell of a player. Nothing but admiration here!
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

It paid off :)
If I'm not mistaken, he got a strat from that short stint :)
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

CanuckRhoadsFan wrote:Bernie will forever have my respect for stepping into Randy's place to cover for him after Randy's tragic passing. Like he says in that interview, it was so difficult for him. I've never EVER heard him complain, though. He did an amazing job under the circumstances, IMO. He took it in stride like a man, and pushed through, moving forward under pressure that would have made a lesser player fold.

I can't even imagine what it would be like trying to follow a virtuoso like Randy, with his intricate musical knowledge and arrangements. Bernie's story of trying to figure out Randy's playing by listening on a cassette deck shows the chops he himself has as a player. He didn't have the benefit of today's digital music to hear the intricacies of Randy's arrangements, and he STILL managed to pull it off. You have to be impressed by that.

I also found it interesting that he speaks of the "psychology" of management taking him, a seasoned player, over the other guys (Rudy's brother and George Lynch), because he had experience with large crowds. He also mentions being completely different culture wise (he being Irish, the other guys American). I never really thought of this before, but it makes good sense. Bernie was totally different than Randy, and perhaps an attempt to not make the band or fans think about Randy so much, inadvertently, in some ways, I guess. The simple fact that the other guys were American may have made some fans resent the band replacing Randy with another American. Fans are sometimes funny in their thinking, and this may have happened. It turned out ok afterwards, though, as fans adjusted somewhat to Brad Gillis. It also makes me wonder if Sarzo and Lynch would have been up to the task. Bernie makes a good point, while not being critical or judgemental, about these guys not having as much experience as him. All in all, he did very well with what he was faced with.

Thanks for posting this interview! It further made me respect Bernie, and it seemed to give more of a well rounded picture of this time in the band, which often gets glossed over or lost in the ether of time.

Bernie Torme, you, sir, are a stand up guy, and a hell of a player. Nothing but admiration here!
agree 100% with this .... If you guys haven't heard the audio there are links beside that video of him in 82. He got the rhythm stuff down really well in such a short time and like he said he didn't really even try to cop the solo's because basically in 3 days it is impossible.
I remember 10yrs ago I was playing bass in a band (I have never really played bass) to help them out and I had 2 days to learn their whole set which included 5 originals and about 20 covers .... it was a case of just learning the very basic parts without getting to flash. It was a hell of a lot of fun though :lol:
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Post by whoopiecat »

At the 15 minute mark is the number one reason why I have little interest in The Diary tour. It was individuals playing their parts, not a band playing together.
Bernie has mentioned in the past a few things that didn't sit so well with him, aside from the awful sound on stage.
One being that no mention was made from the stage, to the audience concerning Randy, the other was having his appearance altered to where he somewhat resembled Randy.
Management did screw him on the money as well. It was also sad they ranked on the man's stutter after his departure.
One of these days, I'll re-type here what he had to say in Garry Sharpe- Young's Sabbath/Ozzy book. Easily the most I've read from Bernie considering his short tenure with Ozzy.
The guy will always get respect from me.

~T.
Whenever I put on Blizzard or Diary, what a wonderful, delicate furious beast.... I MISS you, man!
Vtrockgod

Post by Vtrockgod »

As much as I respect Brad Gillis for the adversity he dealt with (as well as doing an excellent job playing wise), I think it was that much rougher for Bernie. Having to fill in IMMEDIATELY after Randy's passing and tackling guitar parts that were a complete 180 from his style says a lot about the man. I tip my hat.
kamalayka
Cool Member

Post by kamalayka »

Weren't there any Ozzy cover bands in 82?

Maybe his people should've checked a bunch of bars and clubs for someone who was already playing Randy's stuff.

Maybe this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON1W1LoisO0
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

kamalayka wrote:Weren't there any Ozzy cover bands in 82?

Maybe his people should've checked a bunch of bars and clubs for someone who was already playing Randy's stuff.

Maybe this guy:

why?
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

kamalayka wrote:Weren't there any Ozzy cover bands in 82?

Maybe this guy:

I'm sure every Tom, Dick, and Harry emerged out of the woodwork for the auditions after Randy's passing, but why would you want an unknown element in your band if you haven't had a chance to research what they can do? I mean, it's different in a case like Journey's, where they replaced their singer with another accomplished singer AFTER they had done "due diligence", and had a chance to see what the guy could do.

Plus, the music business is usually pretty well connected, and it was probably even smaller in 1982 in some ways. As soon as word got out that Ozzy needed a guitar player, I'm sure there were a bunch more possibilities than we know of. That's not to say they weren't extremely lucky to get accomplished players like Bernie and Brad right away, but right off the bat, you're dealing with a whole different level of guitarists than weekend warriors and guys playing in bar bands.
tommyvance87

Post by tommyvance87 »

zakk was in a 'bar band'
not really called tommy! late great TV exposed me to RR in 1987, forever thankful
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

tommyvance87 wrote:zakk was in a 'bar band'
He's the exception, not the rule, man.