rokket
Madman

Grail Tapes Q&A

Post by rokket »

alborg
Cool Member

Re: Grail Tapes Q&A

Post by alborg »

Thanks for posting that link. Some great info on the tapes. I really can't imagine the whole seven hours worth of tapes being released even if the O$bournes had agreed with Bob on the royalty split. It's really unfortunate as it would be amazing to hear how the songs came together as well as the outtakes. The general public wouldn't be interested in hearing all that but a box set for us diehards would be a dream come true especially as so little has been released to us over the years. The Hendrix estate has done it so it is possible if everyone is mature & fair about the deal. Shame if the tapes end up rotting away without ever being heard by fans that are inspired by the music...
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

alborg wrote:Thanks for posting that link. Some great info on the tapes. I really can't imagine the whole seven hours worth of tapes being released even if the O$bournes had agreed with Bob on the royalty split. It's really unfortunate as it would be amazing to hear how the songs came together as well as the outtakes. The general public wouldn't be interested in hearing all that but a box set for us diehards would be a dream come true especially as so little has been released to us over the years. The Hendrix estate has done it so it is possible if everyone is mature & fair about the deal. Shame if the tapes end up rotting away without ever being heard by fans that are inspired by the music...

I dont think they will , Bob wants people to hear them.
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
dannyahansen
Mass Poster

Post by dannyahansen »

mojopin70 wrote:

Normally when people talk about getting new RR material I wouldn't hold my breathe. But I think that Bob may one day actually release them. I mean he thinks he is sitting on a fortune well at least in the 25,000 dollar figure. But the reality is that he isn't. There wont be a whole lot of people that will care to hear them so not a lot of money to be made. I mean there are lots that do but it isn't going to be millions that will. I wouldn't be surprised if he just puts them on youtube in the future. Might be wishful thinking but hey. This is probably the one area that I have some hope in.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

If it was as easy as that to release them... Too many people are involved with these recordings for them to be recognised as a 'rough demo, sessions in progress / recordings. As far as i'm aware the O$bournes have heard these so they know what is on them. They know Bob is the sole owner of them. So if they do become leaked, it'll be down to him to have shared them. I wouldn't be surprised if the Rhoads would be wanting a cut in on the release of these because of the content of them having Randy playing on them. Plus Ozzy will be singing rough vocals and melodies over the songs guide tracks etc. These would of been ideal to be part of the 30th anniversary box set. The chances of them being released now are very slim i honestly cannot see it happening now.
stealaway
Mass Poster

Post by stealaway »

Bob´s book was great!!! It´s a slim chance indeed, for this stuff to come out... But who knows, there has been stranger releases that have come out, with even slimmer changes to ever see the light of day. :)
Mikel
rokket
Madman

Post by rokket »

dannyahansen wrote:
mojopin70 wrote:

Normally when people talk about getting new RR material I wouldn't hold my breathe. But I think that Bob may one day actually release them. I mean he thinks he is sitting on a fortune well at least in the 25,000 dollar figure. But the reality is that he isn't. There wont be a whole lot of people that will care to hear them so not a lot of money to be made. I mean there are lots that do but it isn't going to be millions that will. I wouldn't be surprised if he just puts them on youtube in the future. Might be wishful thinking but hey. This is probably the one area that I have some hope in.

These recordings won't just appeal to RR fans, they'll also appeal to a lot of musicians in general who are fans of those two first Blizzard albums, who love to hear the process of how songs come together. It's kind of like a documentary, 'the making of' if you like. Things like that often appeal to more people than you'd think.

I'm curious .....why do you say Bob 'thinks he's sitting on a fortune in the $25,000 dollar figure'..where did you get that from??
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

dannyahansen wrote:
mojopin70 wrote:

Wrong hes not interested in money that is not his motivation at all.
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:If it was as easy as that to release them... Too many people are involved with these recordings for them to be recognised as a 'rough demo, sessions in progress / recordings. As far as i'm aware the O$bournes have heard these so they know what is on them. They know Bob is the sole owner of them. So if they do become leaked, it'll be down to him to have shared them. I wouldn't be surprised if the Rhoads would be wanting a cut in on the release of these because of the content of them having Randy playing on them. Plus Ozzy will be singing rough vocals and melodies over the songs guide tracks etc. These would of been ideal to be part of the 30th anniversary box set. The chances of them being released now are very slim i honestly cannot see it happening now.

As far as i know the Osbournes havent heard them.

alborg
Cool Member

Post by alborg »

Bob can maybe think about doing a deal with a Japanese bootleg label like Tarantura Records & release a couple of CD's? Or, is there a way of him having a limited amount pressed & selling them himself direct through this website? Can that be done seeing he owns the tapes himself & it's only jams & music & not the finished tracks??
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

Key thing i got out of that was that Bob is "determined" to get those tapes out....I don't have any doubts as to if, but when.

The Osbournes did get samples of the tapes from Bob to listen to. They were intended to be part of the 30yrs After DVD. I think what he said was something along the lines of $5,000 was offered for all the tapes and he would get no royalties again...LOL

So he basically so no to it all...

He could just say screw it and upload them to the net somewhere if he really wanted to. I don't think he really cares about the money, more about the point of being paid royalties which he deserves.

*EDIT*

Here is one interview i found regarding what i mentioned above, he doesn't go into specifics but it's pretty much what happened.

http://www.rockcellarmagazine.com/2012/ ... osbournes/
rokket
Madman

Post by rokket »

I think the 'lost solo' shows peoples interest in rare recordings, I mean just one instance of that short piece on Youtube has had over 1.5 million hits. Of course thats not a gauge as such to how many people would buy the "Grail Tapes" but that one short guitar only solo is also a far cry from hrs or material featuring the Blizzard band.
alborg
Cool Member

Post by alborg »

rokket wrote:I think the 'lost solo' shows peoples interest in rare recordings, I mean just one instance of that short piece on Youtube has had over 1.5 million hits. Of course thats not a gauge as such to how many people would buy the "Grail Tapes" but that one short guitar only solo is also a far cry from hrs or material featuring the Blizzard band.
But the contempt shown to fans by the Osbourne's by only including RR in the Box set doesn't give me hope that they would be interested in releasing something else. They obviously still have access to all the official tapes including outtakes & yet we didn't at least get one bonus disc full of outtakes & the Tonight outro that fans have always wanted to hear. They still have their vision of the band that they want to present & that is the Ozzy & Randy partnership & not the Blizzard of Ozz band... If the tapes are ever to be heard then Bob needs to have the majority of control.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Well it has to be money orientated or if it was just a case of handing them over for release Bob would of done this. It's a simple process, but the idea of handing them to the O$bournes for them to ca$h in on a product which belongs to Bob. Why should he offer them up for free, someone is going to profit from them so why not Bob. They cannot be used in any other way but an official release. As Bob knows he would want payment / royalties from them. No one can give him that if its released as a bootleg then you have the Rhoads and the O's knowing that they've been put out without their approval. The other musicians on them will need paying as well. Maybe if Bob had kept the content of the tapes quiet they could of slipped onto the bootleg circuit years ago, without having to put a name to how they got out.
randy will never die
Mass Poster

Post by randy will never die »

2. On a scale of 1 -10 (1 being a noisy distorted bootleg tape and 10 being CD quality) what would you rate the sound quality of the recordings at?

Bob - Ranging from 6 - 7 for the cassette tapes, 9 for the studio demos before Ridge Farm, and 10 for the Ridge Farm jam, comedy sketch and out takes.

I don't know about 6 or 7

I heard the suicide solutions DEMO on YouTube I would give the sound a 5
I can't really hear bob in the DEMO/Jam

m.youtube.com/watch?v=CBsZ4U5UtUk

But then again my hearing has not been the same since I started using my SkullCandy earphones GETTING OLD