Grail Tapes Q&A

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Tito
Mass Poster

Re: Grail Tapes Q&A

Post by Tito »

"RWND" if you knew that show was supposed to be on the boxset then you know the answer to the question! :/
randy will never die
Mass Poster

Post by randy will never die »

Tito wrote:"RWND" if you knew that show was supposed to be on the boxset then you know the answer to the question! :/

Yes I knew BUT I don't know why its wasn't

Would love to hear the solo after suicide solutions

We only have mr Crowley and suicide solutions live from south Hampton and I think they we released a a EP or something
You said it all came with the two live songs
stress2stress2
Cool Member

Post by stress2stress2 »

Pretty quiet here lately because of facebook...and that's OK because it means that more and more know about Randy.

Now, I'm an old dog of 51, dad, hubby, college-educated professional, musician, and an RR follower since 1980 so, what I'm about to say, I know what the f I'm talking about.

Anyway, I tune in the Partiots v Colts game and, AGAIN, of all the songs on the f'ing planet that could be played, AND almost 32 f'ing years after he left the building. What comes roaring out of the speakers, the amazingly timeless riff that IS "Crazy Train". That, my friends, is all that needs to be said about the artistry and virtuosity of one Randall William Rhoads. Period. RIP, Randy, your legacy is intact and still strong, brother.
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

alborg wrote:As usual for us fans. Promises & rumors that never happen. One of the most mismanaged legacies ever...
Thats what people said about Bob`s book and did he deliver?

You are wrong.
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
alborg
Cool Member

Post by alborg »

mojopin70 wrote:
alborg wrote:As usual for us fans. Promises & rumors that never happen. One of the most mismanaged legacies ever...

You are wrong.
I wasn't posting about Bob's book. I always believed him when he said he's working on one. As a fan of Randy's since he was alive I've never really been able to get enough "official" releases. That is not directed at Bob at all as I know his hands are tied & he would love the tapes to be widely available. More towards the powers that be that can make things happen. We've been promised a documentary that never happened, the mother of all box sets that only included one show, an outtake & remixed song. So basically in the 32 years since Randy died that's it along with the Tribute CD. I was 15 years old when he died & now I'm about to turn 48 so compared to the Hendrix legacy & the way his estate promotes him then in my opinion Randy could have been promoted better. Randy will always be an influence on whoever hears & likes his music but more can be done to keep him in the spotlight.
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

alborg wrote:
mojopin70 wrote:

You are wrong.
I wasn't posting about Bob's book. I always believed him when he said he's working on one. As a fan of Randy's since he was alive I've never really been able to get enough "official" releases. That is not directed at Bob at all as I know his hands are tied & he would love the tapes to be widely available. More towards the powers that be that can make things happen. We've been promised a documentary that never happened, the mother of all box sets that only included one show, an outtake & remixed song. So basically in the 32 years since Randy died that's it along with the Tribute CD. I was 15 years old when he died & now I'm about to turn 48 so compared to the Hendrix legacy & the way his estate promotes him then in my opinion Randy could have been promoted better. Randy will always be an influence on whoever hears & likes his music but more can be done to keep him in the spotlight.
Dont worry it will happen.

Bob`s own words below.

"I will find a way to get them to the fans, fear not. Cheers, BD"
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

mojopin70 wrote:Dont worry it will happen.

Bob`s own words below.

"I will find a way to get them to the fans, fear not. Cheers, BD"
That's some awesome news! 8)
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
stealaway
Mass Poster

Post by stealaway »

Maybe Bob can do it!!! Don´t know how and when, but... His book was as good as it comes!!! Just to think about the grail tapes: seven hours of stuff :mrgreen: Even if I get to hear just few songs out of that, would be cool!!! :P
Mikel
leftyaxeman

Post by leftyaxeman »

stress2stress2 wrote:Pretty quiet here lately because of facebook...and that's OK because it means that more and more know about Randy.

Now, I'm an old dog of 51, dad, hubby, college-educated professional, musician, and an RR follower since 1980 so, what I'm about to say, I know what the f I'm talking about.

Anyway, I tune in the Partiots v Colts game and, AGAIN, of all the songs on the f'ing planet that could be played, AND almost 32 f'ing years after he left the building. What comes roaring out of the speakers, the amazingly timeless riff that IS "Crazy Train". That, my friends, is all that needs to be said about the artistry and virtuosity of one Randall William Rhoads. Period. RIP, Randy, your legacy is intact and still strong, brother.
Well said brudda. I'm a 51 year young fan also. Still playing & having a blast, & still digging Randy's amazing playing all these years after meeting him.
Sky
Madman

Post by Sky »

Given that all songs were recorded at various stages, what would you most like to hear if you could hear snippets of the Grail? Also, do you have any questions about the contents of the tapes that haven't been answered? Just wondering...
"Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't goin' away." - Elvis Presley
alborg
Cool Member

Post by alborg »

I have no preference as to what to hear as all of it would be interesting in it's own way. The banter between the guys, the demos, & hearing how the songs were coming together all would be great to hear. Bob has pretty much graciously answered all questions about the tapes so far so I can't think of anything else.
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Post by whoopiecat »

I myself would have zero preference as to what could be heard. Any of it is fine, as all of it is history.
I suppose one question I would have is in two parts:
1. Have the Rhoads family heard these, whether partial, or the entirety.
2. What are Dee's thoughts about their possible release somewhere in the future. I am hoping she can see past her son's unvarnished performances and recognize their worth in terms of musical history.
~T.
Whenever I put on Blizzard or Diary, what a wonderful, delicate furious beast.... I MISS you, man!
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

whoopiecat wrote: 2. What are Dee's thoughts about their possible release somewhere in the future.
given that neither QR 1 nor 2 has seen a US release yet pretty much answers that question.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

whoopiecat wrote:I myself would have zero preference as to what could be heard. Any of it is fine, as all of it is history.
I suppose one question I would have is in two parts:
1. Have the Rhoads family heard these, whether partial, or the entirety.
2. What are Dee's thoughts about their possible release somewhere in the future. I am hoping she can see past her son's unvarnished performances and recognize their worth in terms of musical history.
~T.
This is another valid reason for them to be ok'd as an official release. When everyone is hitting on the O's for not playing ball with Bob. Who's to say that the Rhoads would approve of the tapes being released. I should imagine they are aware of them, but if they have heard any of it's contents ???..
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Sky wrote:Given that all songs were recorded at various stages, what would you most like to hear if you could hear snippets of the Grail? Also, do you have any questions about the contents of the tapes that haven't been answered? Just wondering...
Yeah i'd like to know the time line on what was happening when etc. As it will be like decoding an enigma machine guessing on what they are talking about and listening to the early demo's of a track in the making etc. How much of a time span do the tapes cover. Where they recorded over a period of days / weeks. They have been done during the recordings leading up to the blizzard and diary albums. Is the time split from one album to the next or do the tapes cover more of Diary then Blizzard... Troy i bet you wish you hadn't asked now ;-)