Grail Tapes Q&A

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

rokket
Madman

Re: Grail Tapes Q&A

Post by rokket »

randy will never die wrote:2. On a scale of 1 -10 (1 being a noisy distorted bootleg tape and 10 being CD quality) what would you rate the sound quality of the recordings at?

Bob - Ranging from 6 - 7 for the cassette tapes, 9 for the studio demos before Ridge Farm, and 10 for the Ridge Farm jam, comedy sketch and out takes.

I don't know about 6 or 7

I heard the suicide solutions DEMO on YouTube I would give the sound a 5
I can't really hear bob in the DEMO/Jam

m.youtube.com/watch?v=CBsZ4U5UtUk

But then again my hearing has not been the same since I started using my SkullCandy earphones GETTING OLD
'The Suicide Solution demo on YouTube isn't from any of Bob's tapes'.
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:Well it has to be money orientated or if it was just a case of handing them over for release Bob would of done this. It's a simple process, but the idea of handing them to the O$bournes for them to ca$h in on a product which belongs to Bob. Why should he offer them up for free, someone is going to profit from them so why not Bob. They cannot be used in any other way but an official release. As Bob knows he would want payment / royalties from them. No one can give him that if its released as a bootleg then you have the Rhoads and the O's knowing that they've been put out without their approval. The other musicians on them will need paying as well. Maybe if Bob had kept the content of the tapes quiet they could of slipped onto the bootleg circuit years ago, without having to put a name to how they got out.
He is worried about the osbournes " editing" him and Lee out of the tapes to make it look like Randy and Ozzy did everything which is what Sharon has been saying for 30 years +. Not about how much money he would receive .If you have seen the 30th edition Blizzard of Ozz . Its clear to see how things work in Sharon Osbournes mind there are just photos of Ozzy and Randy in the inlay not one photo of Lee or Bob

Even if he made back-ups of the originals once the Osbournes get the tapes then they can edit them to their hearts content.And that will be what the general public will believe because of the power and influence they have in the media.

The tapes without doubt show how both albums were written and it definitely wasnt the Randy and Ozzy show. Osbourne was drunk pissing in his pants and falling asleep in the fireplace most of the time and Randy's lyrics stated by Bob were rubbish thats why Bob went ahead and started writing.If only Randy Rhoads were alive today none of this would be going on for sure or it wouldve been resolved years ago.

Ive seen pictures of Ozzy naked and drunk at the house just in a pair of boots.He wasnt capable of doing much.
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

Shockwave wrote:Key thing i got out of that was that Bob is "determined" to get those tapes out....I don't have any doubts as to if, but when.

The Osbournes did get samples of the tapes from Bob to listen to. They were intended to be part of the 30yrs After DVD. I think what he said was something along the lines of $5,000 was offered for all the tapes and he would get no royalties again...LOL

So he basically so no to it all...

He could just say screw it and upload them to the net somewhere if he really wanted to. I don't think he really cares about the money, more about the point of being paid royalties which he deserves.

*EDIT*

Here is one interview i found regarding what i mentioned above, he doesn't go into specifics but it's pretty much what happened.

http://www.rockcellarmagazine.com/2012/ ... osbournes/
Thats right he wanted some "control" and a Royalty but SHarons lot offered a small sum and no control and no Royalty.

Not surprised he said no.....Thats why he doesnt want to give them to the Osbournes because Sharon will give them to an engineer under strict orders , then Bob and Lee`s voices and conversations and playing will mysteriously disappear from the tapes and what will be released will be another Randy and Ozzy show.
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Post by whoopiecat »

Sound quality is of no concern to me. I'm from the analog age, and understand what I would expect.
Here's my wonder, ponder this. How much of the Grail is just guitar/bass/drums? Guitar/Bass? I'd like to think Ozzy didn't contribute much of anything in the actual composition of the music, so, if Ozzy is absent from a session or two, (or three or five! :lol: ), how do the Osbournes figure their share for recordings he is no part of?
This is out of left-field, but if there were a way that the above could happen, then what there is could be sold in volumes, boutique-style.
Some movie companies have offered an on-demand type system for customers that are looking for the obscure, niche-market films from lesser-known horror films of the 1930s & 40s, to rare Saturday-morning cartoons, circa 1950s thru the 80s.
I believe they are DV-Rs and are made to order.
In a case like Bob's, (again, my scenario, set here in Dreamsville 8) ), he could confidently print up as many copies as his book sold, then go from there. Dunno...just riffin' I guess.
I've said it before, but I think these recordings are a bit of a threat to the Osbournes. It would be made very plain who contributed to what, who was present at these rehersals/work-up sessions, and it really is a case of "warts-and-all"...everyone's performance is laid bare...and it's basically a "hot mike", catching every fart, fiddle and fuck.
I'm sure $ had plans to boil that stuff down, once acquired, and have Churko scotch-tape what was left to make it appear like the 'Batman & Boy Wonder Show'...kinda like an audio version of the book packaged with the 30th set. :roll:
~T.
Whenever I put on Blizzard or Diary, what a wonderful, delicate furious beast.... I MISS you, man!
dannyahansen
Mass Poster

Post by dannyahansen »

rokket wrote: I'm curious .....why do you say Bob 'thinks he's sitting on a fortune in the $25,000 dollar figure'..where did you get that from??
It is possible I am mistaken but I read an article on his website about his dealings with Margolis and that for them to use the tapes there would be a fee. I thought that fee was 25k. But I could be wrong. It was last year when I read it. I know Bob doesn't care about the money, that is why I said I have hope that these will actually come out. It isn't about the money.
dannyahansen
Mass Poster

Post by dannyahansen »

Dupe
dannyahansen
Mass Poster

Post by dannyahansen »

mojopin70 wrote:
Wrong hes not interested in money that is not his motivation at all.
Lets just say that I worded my post poorly. I know Bob didn't want to share his tapes with Dakota for free in fact I recall that he said it would not be free or even cheap. There was a fee inolved. I don't think he cares about the money at this point though.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

mojopin70 wrote:
GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:Well it has to be money orientated or if it was just a case of handing them over for release Bob would of done this. It's a simple process, but the idea of handing them to the O$bournes for them to ca$h in on a product which belongs to Bob. Why should he offer them up for free, someone is going to profit from them so why not Bob. They cannot be used in any other way but an official release. As Bob knows he would want payment / royalties from them. No one can give him that if its released as a bootleg then you have the Rhoads and the O's knowing that they've been put out without their approval. The other musicians on them will need paying as well. Maybe if Bob had kept the content of the tapes quiet they could of slipped onto the bootleg circuit years ago, without having to put a name to how they got out.
He is worried about the osbournes " editing" him and Lee out of the tapes to make it look like Randy and Ozzy did everything which is what Sharon has been saying for 30 years +. Not about how much money he would receive .If you have seen the 30th edition Blizzard of Ozz . Its clear to see how things work in Sharon Osbournes mind there are just photos of Ozzy and Randy in the inlay not one photo of Lee or Bob

Even if he made back-ups of the originals once the Osbournes get the tapes then they can edit them to their hearts content.And that will be what the general public will believe because of the power and influence they have in the media.

The tapes without doubt show how both albums were written and it definitely wasnt the Randy and Ozzy show. Osbourne was drunk pissing in his pants and falling asleep in the fireplace most of the time and Randy's lyrics stated by Bob were rubbish thats why Bob went ahead and started writing.If only Randy Rhoads were alive today none of this would be going on for sure or it wouldve been resolved years ago.

Ive seen pictures of Ozzy naked and drunk at the house just in a pair of boots.He wasnt capable of doing much.
Well if that was the case why doesn't he ok it with the Rhoads and remove Ozzy from all the tapes. If Ozzy is not on the product singing, talking, pissing etc. Would it be in Bob's power to release or is it instantly branded an Ozzy product because of its prototype original status. Being a pre product of an original. It's a hard one to understand unless you know all the inside info on the legal side. Which Bob will understand and if he is worried about them removing his input on the tapes why did he offer them up in the first place. I think the O's have realised the original product is the one which sells. The bastardised versions of Blizzard and Diary are 2nd rate and only bought by the people who don't know what they are buying. Either way Bob cannot release this without the Osbournes, Rhoads & Kerslake's consent as it would only create aggravation for Bob if he did it underhand as an unofficial release. It would be better to be edited and put out as an extra disc on the early Ozzy albums. Something that is a selling point for the O's and they love to sell products with an exclusive tag. Or a reason to re-sell an old product in a new package.
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

To actually have these in full unedited form would be better than a full blown pro shot Diary concert IMO. I think my personal grail would be YCKRR live...these tapes most likely have it. It would be really interesting to see how Randy played all the acoustic parts on the electric, which he most likely did while they jammed the entire song at times.

It was also intersting to hear Bob say that all the records were recorded live and not in parts. Bass, Drums, Guitar all at once for the foundation track. That is pretty fucking cool and something i never would have though of. It would be great to hear just that live initial trio track.
dinomite
Cool Member

Post by dinomite »

Shockwave wrote:To actually have these in full unedited form would be better than a full blown pro shot Diary concert IMO. I think my personal grail would be YCKRR live...these tapes most likely have it. It would be really interesting to see how Randy played all the acoustic parts on the electric, which he most likely did while they jammed the entire song at times.
You know, I'd have to agree. Knowing that these tapes cover both the Blizzard and Diary sessions and all the songs from those albums, hearing the original Blizzard line-up doing the Diary tracks would be absolutely killer. I think it's all but confirmed now that footage from the first UK tour doesn't exist, so you're right, these tapes would definitely be the most desired unreleased material at the moment.

My gut says we'll probably get to hear these tapes one day. Probably in some edited form, possibly even leaked excerpts unfortunately, but I just feel it would kill Bob to not get these tapes out one day.
randy will never die
Mass Poster

Post by randy will never die »

dinomite wrote:
Shockwave wrote:To actually have these in full unedited form would be better than a full blown pro shot Diary concert IMO. I think my personal grail would be YCKRR live...these tapes most likely have it. It would be really interesting to see how Randy played all the acoustic parts on the electric, which he most likely did while they jammed the entire song at times.
You know, I'd have to agree. Knowing that these tapes cover both the Blizzard and Diary sessions and all the songs from those albums, hearing the original Blizzard line-up doing the Diary tracks would be absolutely killer. I think it's all but confirmed now that footage from the first UK tour doesn't exist, so you're right, these tapes would definitely be the most desired unreleased material at the moment.

My gut says we'll probably get to hear these tapes one day. Probably in some edited form, possibly even leaked excerpts unfortunately, but I just feel it would kill Bob to not get these tapes out one day.
I have a good feeling something really BIG will come out for the 40 or 50th Anniversary
So Maybe in 20 years

But the sad truth is we won't see any major stuff till ozz and $haron die
meadsie

Post by meadsie »

Another 20 Years and Randy's legacy will be almost gone... And who would really be interested then? The Randy Fanbase will only consist of the true die hard fans, which would make no financial profit for the O$bournes.
To me the moment has been lost - the 30th Anniversary should have been the time.
randy will never die
Mass Poster

Post by randy will never die »

What ever happened to the south Hampton cd that was going to be released with the 30 anniversary

Did something gone wrong in the business side or something?
alborg
Cool Member

Post by alborg »

As usual for us fans. Promises & rumors that never happen. One of the most mismanaged legacies ever...
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

meadsie wrote:Another 20 Years and Randy's legacy will be almost gone...
^ this