Grail Tapes Q&A

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Shockwave
Mass Poster

Re: Grail Tapes Q&A

Post by Shockwave »

I asked Bob about the tapes on his website last week and he replied back. He says he will keep trying and do his best to get them out.

I think the osbournes as we're going to edit out his and lee's parts on the tapes from what I from his reply. He probably meant though that the contract would have to say that bobs and less parts would not be edited out. Either or it still sounds like he is trying or going to try again in the future. Sadly the only way I think it will happen is if he makes amends with the osbournes or comes to some type of agreement were his demands are less than what he and lee actually deserve for there past contributions.
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

Shockwave wrote:I asked Bob about the tapes on his website last week and he replied back. He says he will keep trying and do his best to get them out.

I think the osbournes as we're going to edit out his and lee's parts on the tapes from what I from his reply. He probably meant though that the contract would have to say that bobs and less parts would not be edited out. Either or it still sounds like he is trying or going to try again in the future. Sadly the only way I think it will happen is if he makes amends with the osbournes or comes to some type of agreement were his demands are less than what he and lee actually deserve for there past contributions.
I mentioned that already earlier in this thread :)
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

Sorry, I will never post here again!
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Post by whoopiecat »

Dammit, Mojo! It's all your fault that people don't take the time to read before posting! :lol:
~T.
Whenever I put on Blizzard or Diary, what a wonderful, delicate furious beast.... I MISS you, man!
Sky
Madman

Post by Sky »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:
Sky wrote:Given that all songs were recorded at various stages, what would you most like to hear if you could hear snippets of the Grail? Also, do you have any questions about the contents of the tapes that haven't been answered? Just wondering...
Yeah i'd like to know the time line on what was happening when etc. As it will be like decoding an enigma machine guessing on what they are talking about and listening to the early demo's of a track in the making etc. How much of a time span do the tapes cover. Where they recorded over a period of days / weeks. They have been done during the recordings leading up to the blizzard and diary albums. Is the time split from one album to the next or do the tapes cover more of Diary then Blizzard... Troy i bet you wish you hadn't asked now ;-)
No Shaun, I'm glad that you and a few other regular posters responded, but I thought that there'd be more questions. It's been very quiet around here lately!
"Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't goin' away." - Elvis Presley
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

I would like to hear how they put together the songs.how they went from scratch to the finished songs..i bet some of the earlier versions/ideas were awesome..also just to hear how they got along and to be able to hear how bob helped randy with chord sequences solos etc...it would be really interesting to say the least.
randy will never die
Mass Poster

Post by randy will never die »

I would love to hear the songs that did not make the cut

Bob said he has around 7hours of audio would love to hear that
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

Shockwave wrote:Sorry, I will never post here again!
You Must post again. They will come.
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
RRfan4eveRR

Post by RRfan4eveRR »

I was certain that I had responded to sky's post, but going back in the thread I see that I hadn't? Oh well, here goes; I would like to see how each song matured and get to understand a time line, and also hear the artist's input and mood as the recording progressed. Like group the recordings in some kind of discernable order so that each song gets its moment to shine.

I think that given a chance to again repackage these gems, the Osbournes probably would jump at the chance to buy these for a small sum of given the chance, and edit Bob and Lee out, but they're ignorant to the fact that their fans are that loyal, especially Randy's fans. I don't blame Bob for not paying ball. Like others have said, what are the consequences of Ozzy was edited out and the tapes are released?
I don't have a short attention span I
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Post by whoopiecat »

Thanks, RRF, you just made me think of a biggie!
Of the seven hours recorded, how much of that is Ozzy present for? How much is just Bob and Randy?

~T.
Whenever I put on Blizzard or Diary, what a wonderful, delicate furious beast.... I MISS you, man!
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

So it comes down to this basically...

These tapes will NEVER get released unless SHARON agree's to some sort of agreement with Bob about royalites and not editing Lee and himself out of them if they ever get released. Sharon will never agree to this. She obviously can't stand Bob, she doesn't need the money, and she knew Randy first hand. Stuff like this is not important to her or Ozzy really since they knew Randy and have probably boatloads of home video's and stuff that we will never see.

Sadly the only way i see this stuff ever getting released is if Sharon croaks before Ozzy does. Bob even still says to this day that he never had issues with Ozzy and they always got along great together, it was Sharon who had the problem with him and Lee. The other option is for Ozzy to grow a sack and just straight out tell Sharon "get it done" and that's it...But could Ozzy even really do that? Does he have power over everything and Sharon is just a hired manager still? He can tell her what to do in this regard couldn't he?

I think we could all pretty much agree though that if Sharon weren't around that Bob and Ozzy would probably rekindle there relationship.
No1UNo
Cool Member

Post by No1UNo »

Sky wrote:Given that all songs were recorded at various stages, what would you most like to hear if you could hear snippets of the Grail? Also, do you have any questions about the contents of the tapes that haven't been answered? Just wondering...
All the songs Bob, Lee, and Randy worked on ended up perfectly arranged, but what I would find most interesting to hear are snippets that didn't make the album…a song idea or riff or jam that was very cool but somehow didn't fit in with what was being written and was never used on BOO or DOAM. Since it would be un-copyrighted material, I think there would be very little hurdles to overcome to release snippets like these…probably only an okay from Randy's estate.

If these can ever fully be released, it would be so cool to have a bonus disc containing a "compressed" or "time lapsed" progression of each song for both of the albums. Yes, most of us here would listen to a full 7 hours of Bob, Lee, and Randy, but in reality something showing a song's progress in a quicker manner would probably be most appreciated. After these progressions, it would be cool to include the professional demos of the 4 songs the guys did - including alternate mixes / outtakes of other songs as bonus material. Heck, it seems if you did it right, you could have bonus material for each album that is at least double the length of each disc!

I've always maintained, as an ultimate package you need to include Southampton with BOO and a live Diary Show with DOAM. Package the original versions - unedited and uncut, of Cleveland, Montreal, and another surprise show and sell it as a legacy "live" collection with the Capitol Theater DVD (should it ever be confirmed and found).
randy will never die
Mass Poster

No1UNo wrote:
All the songs Bob, Lee, and Randy worked on ended up perfectly arranged, but what I would find most interesting to hear are snippets that didn't make the album…a song idea or riff or jam that was very cool but somehow didn't fit in with what was being written and was never used on BOO or DOAM. Since it would be un-copyrighted material, I think there would be very little hurdles to overcome to release snippets like these…probably only an okay from Randy's estate.

If these can ever fully be released, it would be so cool to have a bonus disc containing a "compressed" or "time lapsed" progression of each song for both of the albums. Yes, most of us here would listen to a full 7 hours of Bob, Lee, and Randy, but in reality something showing a song's progress in a quicker manner would probably be most appreciated. After these progressions, it would be cool to include the professional demos of the 4 songs the guys did - including alternate mixes / outtakes of other songs as bonus material. Heck, it seems if you did it right, you could have bonus material for each album that is at least double the length of each disc!

I've always maintained, as an ultimate package you need to include Southampton with BOO and a live Diary Show with DOAM. Package the original versions - unedited and uncut, of Cleveland, Montreal, and another surprise show and sell it as a legacy "live" collection with the Capitol Theater DVD (should it ever be confirmed and found).
HELL YES I would listen to the full 7 hours but it would have to be mixed in the studio so that it is near perfect audio

Second the Capital Theater DVD is not REPEAT NOT happing any time soon

Talked to the owner a few mouths back and because of the fire he doesn't know what footage he has that survived the fire and he has yet to get back with me abot the footage!
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Post by whoopiecat »

HELL YES I would listen to the full 7 hours but it would have to be mixed in the studio so that it is near perfect audio
I know you're "17" and all, but this wonderful chunk of history was recorded during the analog age, over three decades ago, it's been rated between 6 & 7 and the man is searching for a way to get this to the fans, once again, on his time and dime.
I am certain, if this became reality, that Bob already has the audio where it needs to be, and is confident that the fans would be not only grateful, but understanding of the circumstances of how the recordings were captured.

The sad thing here is, we would get these recordings, and the complaints would begin about the sound. No contest.
We wished for footage for years, when we finally got it, what happened? We bitched for more. :roll:
Rhoads fans love to look that gift horse in the mouth. That is for certain.
Keep in mind, despite all of the negativity towards him, Daisley still wants to share with the fans. This is the guy who should be in charge of Randy's legacy, as Bob understood Randy from a musical standpoint better than anyone, imho.

While folks wait for the Blizzard/Diary sessions on SACD, I'd be content getting them on a bunch of Maxell C-60s. :twisted:
Actually, that'd be cool...get the discs, record them onto cassette tapes and listen to the sessions on a boom box! Take me right back to Jr. High! :lol:

~T.
randy will never die
Mass Poster

I think I would NEVER ask for footage ever again or anything
That's a PRETY bold statement I know but 7 hours of unedited Audio that contains unheard songs demos rough cuts and the making of 2 amazing records would last a long time for me I would sit and listen to ever second a billion times over wear out the cd and buy 6 more

Going a little off topic but doesn't SONY own the rights to blizzard and diary

I don't think jet records is even a company any more !