Crazy Train from the new live album..

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Shockwave
Mass Poster

Crazy Train from the new live album..

Post by Shockwave »

Does anyone else here think the transistion parts to the main riff before the verses sound odd on the new live album that was released a couple years back? It's always bugged me, all 3 transitions back to the main riff sound odd to me like they were spliced in, i wouldn't doubt that they were but I really think in this case they were.

The first one is at 0:39 seconds in

The second one is at 1:39

The third is at 3:34

They just sound really odd to me, I was listeninig to a few other boots yesterday and the fills are completely different and sound more "normal" like something i have heard a 100 times on different shows, this one is different though. I would almost venture to say that they are from 1980 as that is how much different they seem to be, to me at least....
The Flying Dutchman

Re: Crazy Train from the new live album..

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Shockwave wrote:They just sound really odd to me, I was listeninig to a few other boots yesterday and the fills are completely different and sound more "normal" like something i have heard a 100 times on different shows, this one is different though.
I agree. Got that feeling right in the very beginning where Randy starts with a weird (powerless) slide into the intro I don't know riff. Pick any other boot and it sounds like Randy used to sound. The whole disk has plenty of weird moments to me. I can't really listen to it without questioning things. I still like Tribute 100x times better. But usually I prefer the good quality boots like Cleveland, Montreal etc. the most.
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

Ya Montreal is my favorite show and i think it was Randy's best performance from everything we have from him. All the fills just really compliment each other really well in this show.

The new live album has quite a few fills that also are not on any of the other boots we have, And there are some very constant fills Randy played on from April 81 to the end. I think many of the guitar parts/vocals are taken from 1980.
shawn
Cool Member

Post by shawn »

I would have to agree, there are many moments on that live album that make me pause and wonder.
randy will never die
Mass Poster

Post by randy will never die »

I noticed that too

There are parts you would have to stop and think

Personally I think I have listened to the boots enough to know when a fill was coming and there were a lout of parts that caught me off guard

I think the people in the mixing booth are getting lazy
SanDimasCharvel
Cool Member

Post by SanDimasCharvel »

The concert does seem odd. I always thought a bit sloppy. Maybe this is the show that Tommy Aldridge was thinking of with his "sloppy, all over the ranch" comment regarding Tribute, because I don't think that Cleveland or Montreal fits that description, but I'm not a drummer. I always wondered if Tommy actually listened to the mixed Tribute or if he was going by Ozzy saying that it was from late 1981.

With Crazy Train, I don't hear the kind of change in guitar tone like you hear in Suicide Solution. In Suicide, when he comes out of the guitar solo you can tell that the beginning of the main riff is from the 1980 show and then it is slowly faded into the 8/81 show riff. Definitely, with today's tools, they are capable of lots of trickery

My biggest complaint about this show is all of the added/boosted crowd noise, the use of sound replacer on the drums (except the drum solo) and most importantly of all, how there are not the dynamics there should be because they brick-walled the sound for maximum CD volume, just like they did on the Blizzard and Diary remasters. The peaks are clipped and valleys raised. It's still better than not having the show of course because there are still some very cool fills.
randy will never die
Mass Poster

Post by randy will never die »

people the reasion randys tone changes in the solo of sucide is because the solo was spliced in from a show in canada

if i rember right goodbye to romance was form the canada show too

i have listened to the real unedited version of tribute and i think the real solo sounded fine

i thing they spliced the songs for a longer run time o the CD/RECORD

HAVE A GOOD HOLIDAY
PEACE OUT
Nickolas hughes