How Randy Rhoads' Third Album Would Have Sounded

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

kamalayka
Cool Member

How Randy Rhoads' Third Album Would Have Sounded

Post by kamalayka »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Gw6Mx4pBJk

I just heard this the other day, and there are a couple cool riffs that seem like they might have been made into songs.

At the very least, it gives a hint at the possible atmosphere of the next album.
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

Re: How Randy Rhoads' Third Album Would Have Sounded

Post by CanuckRhoadsFan »

kamalayka wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Gw6Mx4pBJk

I just heard this the other day, and there are a couple cool riffs that seem like they might have been made into songs.

At the very least, it gives a hint at the possible atmosphere of the next album.
While it's impossible to say what a third album would have truly sounded like or turned out, I think you're right - some of that stuff may have been incorporated in some fashion. Randy seemed famous for taking snippets of things he'd done before or had been working out and incorporating it into new material.

I also think he would have had more time to spend on crafting and creating new music, and would not have had to use basic tracks like he had to on some songs on DOAM. I personally think the third album would have been viewed as his breakout album as a guitarist, and the floodgates would have opened for him, musically. As has been speculated, this would have probably been his exit from Ozzy. Then again, things may have changed, and he may have stayed. Who knows?

As well, I think he probably would have examined more classical music and created a classical/metal fusion of sorts, as we are all aware of his interest in this field. I kinda doubt he would have gotten a university degree in music, however, as it's been well documented about Randy's relationship with conventional school. In true Randy fashion, he probably would have done this his own way. While it may not have had a huge effect on rock, I think it would have had a big effect on metal. We may have even seen certain elements of metal go in different directions. By this, I mean that there would probably have been bands that popped up based around the classical/metal sound Randy would have had a hand in pioneering. Just a thought.

Sigh. Just speculating about what could have been is sad, and reinforces the fact that his passing was so tragic. :(
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

Well it wouldve been recorded at Ridge Farm and with Max Norman .And the line up wouldve been T/a.Randy.Bob.Ozzy

Im sure it wouldve been equal too or better even that Diary of a Madman.
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Well how many bands solo artists have a first class debut album. The Blizzard line up was full of fresh ideas and they pulled those 2 albums out in a relative short time. What's to say the 3rd album may have lacked fresh ideas and the writing nucleus would of been the band at that time. So its pure speculation to say would Bob of been part of that album. I remember loving Uli Roth as a guitarist in the Scorpions but i didn't get away with his solo work it was really different. Would Randy of went down this road and tried to do a Joe Satriani type of project in bringing new guitarists and people he'd met on tour into his own solo album. I love the idea of the neo classical album mixing it with a rock HM album. People like Blackmore and Eddie VH had already put this to the test. It's something we'll never know and as far as Randy writing ideas for a new album. I don't think he was that inventive...He lived for the moment and realised the Rock n Roll circus of being on tour is not everything its made out to be. If he was loving the situation, he would of been throwing ideas to others all the time. It's something we'll never know sadly...
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Without Bob to help with ideas and arrangements, I think the next record would have been quite a bit different...
fortress
Madman

Post by fortress »

I'm wondering how Randy would have managed Rudy Sarzo situation since he apparently not a good songwriting. Does Randy would have accepted his friend replacement?!
kamalayka
Cool Member

Post by kamalayka »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:Well how many bands solo artists have a first class debut album. The Blizzard line up was full of fresh ideas and they pulled those 2 albums out in a relative short time. What's to say the 3rd album may have lacked fresh ideas and the writing nucleus would of been the band at that time. So its pure speculation to say would Bob of been part of that album. I remember loving Uli Roth as a guitarist in the Scorpions but i didn't get away with his solo work it was really different. Would Randy of went down this road and tried to do a Joe Satriani type of project in bringing new guitarists and people he'd met on tour into his own solo album. I love the idea of the neo classical album mixing it with a rock HM album. People like Blackmore and Eddie VH had already put this to the test. It's something we'll never know and as far as Randy writing ideas for a new album. I don't think he was that inventive...He lived for the moment and realised the Rock n Roll circus of being on tour is not everything its made out to be. If he was loving the situation, he would of been throwing ideas to others all the time. It's something we'll never know sadly...
To be honest, I don't think that the third album would have been as good as the first two. Blizzard was amazing, but Diary seemed a bit more derivative.

And with Ozzy wanting to pursue the whole medievel image, it might have fallen into the Spinal Tap/Stonehenge thing with smoke and midgets dancing around in costumes. Bark At The Moon with Randy would have been heavy keyboards, a few neat riffs and solos, and cheesy 80s sound effects.

Randy might have bowed out after then, gone on to do studio work or something for the cash, and then slip into relaitve obscurity doing non-mainstream music.
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

kamalayka wrote:
GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:Well how many bands solo artists have a first class debut album. The Blizzard line up was full of fresh ideas and they pulled those 2 albums out in a relative short time. What's to say the 3rd album may have lacked fresh ideas and the writing nucleus would of been the band at that time. So its pure speculation to say would Bob of been part of that album. I remember loving Uli Roth as a guitarist in the Scorpions but i didn't get away with his solo work it was really different. Would Randy of went down this road and tried to do a Joe Satriani type of project in bringing new guitarists and people he'd met on tour into his own solo album. I love the idea of the neo classical album mixing it with a rock HM album. People like Blackmore and Eddie VH had already put this to the test. It's something we'll never know and as far as Randy writing ideas for a new album. I don't think he was that inventive...He lived for the moment and realised the Rock n Roll circus of being on tour is not everything its made out to be. If he was loving the situation, he would of been throwing ideas to others all the time. It's something we'll never know sadly...
To be honest, I don't think that the third album would have been as good as the first two. Blizzard was amazing, but Diary seemed a bit more derivative.

And with Ozzy wanting to pursue the whole medievel image, it might have fallen into the Spinal Tap/Stonehenge thing with smoke and midgets dancing around in costumes. Bark At The Moon with Randy would have been heavy keyboards, a few neat riffs and solos, and cheesy 80s sound effects.

Randy might have bowed out after then, gone on to do studio work or something for the cash, and then slip into relaitve obscurity doing non-mainstream music.
I dont agree the album wouldve been recorded before Bark at the Moon to me it wouldve been a continuation of Diary part two. I cant see that Rhoads wouldve " Watered " down his guitar sound just because it was the 80s.

I havent heard an album quite like Diary of Madman before or since. I wouldnt exactly call it derivative :?
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

fortress wrote:I'm wondering how Randy would have managed Rudy Sarzo situation since he apparently not a good songwriting. Does Randy would have accepted his friend replacement?!

Randy was looking forward to seeing Bob and working with him again. Its in Bob`s book. Ozzy and Sharon were phoning Bob only 6 weeks after Lee and Bob were " fired" asking or begging Bob to come back since he was such a good writer /player and lyricist.

The reason was obvious she wanted to get rid of Lee only not Bob because Lee stood up to her . The only reason Bob went too was because he stood up for Lee and put his neck on the line so Sharon fired them both but with the intention of getting Bob back as soon as possible...

Remember Tommy A. was fired , brought back fired etc. In the end one person can only take so much. But the ONE musician in the whole of Osbournes solo career that was called on time and time again to write and record/tour was Bob Daisley.

stress2stress2
Cool Member

Post by stress2stress2 »

From Oz in 1987:

Well, before he died, I distinctly remember we played in Knoxville, TN and he was just working on this new idea and it was so revolutionary, but we never recorded any of it. It was just on the threshold of coming out with this new dimension which would have…I know for a fact, because I go by my feelings. I go by my hairs on my arms and my hairs on my arms stand up. When anybody can do that to me, throughout my career, that’s a God-given gift when that does that to me. I think I’m a lot like the conductor that can go, “Yeah, that’s good. That makes me feel funny inside and so I’m passing it on.” And Randy was doing that every single day at soundcheck. It wasn’t like a guitar solo, it wasn’t like a guitar. It was like this new revolutionary idea which I’m damned if I knew what it was about. It was more like a sound effect kind of thing. I don’t know. It’s really hard to explain because I’m not a musician, but I was thinking, “God the next album is gonna be so amazing.” “
stress2stress2
Cool Member

Post by stress2stress2 »

Another indication of what was coming. But, Oz appears hammered, again, so, one never knows how much of it was true. On the bus en route from Salt Lake City to Denver in the early morning hours of January 10, 1982, by David Gans.

I can't change my fucking drumhead; I can't change my fucking guitar -- I just have to get on with it, you know? [discussion of monitor mixer and his uneven performance]

...Great titles for the next albums. Bark at the Moon and Killer of Giants.

...I just wish there were two of me, so one could write and one could do what he fucking does. I suppose there is two of me.

The next album is going to be Killer of Giants, and the followap is going to be Bark at the Moon. I'm going to record the two simultaneously.

GANS: Been writing new songs?

OZZY: Oh, yeah.

GANS: Got enough already?

OZZY: No. I'm just beginning. I've got the mood of what I'm going to do. Killer of Giants is going to be sort of medieval. Bark at the Moon is going to be into sort of -- wolves; werewolves and all that shit.

GANS: Will you write a lot of songs under those themes --

OZZY: I've yet to do a concept album, and I want to do a concept album. Every track feeds into the next, you know? That's the idea I have. Whether it comes off or not, I don't know.

GANS: How many songs do you write?

OZZY: I don't write -- these guys write.

GANS: I notice you're all credited on the tracks.

OZZY: Everyone feeds off everyone else. It's like a rock and roll jungle. You know where you're coming from: if it feels for everyone, it feels good for everyone. Rudy may come up with a fucking... [???] and I do the major writing, but if Rudy or Tommy or Don come up with a thing that we want to use, everyone gets the credit for it. As long as the picture's painted.

GANS: Do you write all the words?

OZZY: No. Can't spell.

I generally get the idea, the initial push, and we work it out together.
BowTie29
Cool Member

Post by BowTie29 »

It would be cool if there were any soundboard recordings from sound checks from that time fore sure
Sky
Madman

Post by Sky »

stress2stress2 wrote:Another indication of what was coming. But, Oz appears hammered, again, so, one never knows how much of it was true. On the bus en route from Salt Lake City to Denver in the early morning hours of January 10, 1982, by David Gans.

I can't change my fucking drumhead; I can't change my fucking guitar -- I just have to get on with it, you know? [discussion of monitor mixer and his uneven performance]

...Great titles for the next albums. Bark at the Moon and Killer of Giants.

...I just wish there were two of me, so one could write and one could do what he fucking does. I suppose there is two of me.

The next album is going to be Killer of Giants, and the followap is going to be Bark at the Moon. I'm going to record the two simultaneously.

GANS: Been writing new songs?

OZZY: Oh, yeah.

GANS: Got enough already?

OZZY: No. I'm just beginning. I've got the mood of what I'm going to do. Killer of Giants is going to be sort of medieval. Bark at the Moon is going to be into sort of -- wolves; werewolves and all that shit.

GANS: Will you write a lot of songs under those themes --

OZZY: I've yet to do a concept album, and I want to do a concept album. Every track feeds into the next, you know? That's the idea I have. Whether it comes off or not, I don't know.

GANS: How many songs do you write?

OZZY: I don't write -- these guys write.

GANS: I notice you're all credited on the tracks.

OZZY: Everyone feeds off everyone else. It's like a rock and roll jungle. You know where you're coming from: if it feels for everyone, it feels good for everyone. Rudy may come up with a fucking... [???] and I do the major writing, but if Rudy or Tommy or Don come up with a thing that we want to use, everyone gets the credit for it. As long as the picture's painted.

GANS: Do you write all the words?

OZZY: No. Can't spell.

I generally get the idea, the initial push, and we work it out together.
I wonder how Randy felt when he heard this BS. Ozzy never was the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree but SO many contradictory statements within one interview...
I don't write -- these guys write.
then
I do the major writing
I'm not gonna list them all but lack of performance credits to the right people on Diary and the non-existent writing credits to the right people on Bark spring to mind.
"Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't goin' away." - Elvis Presley
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

stress2stress2 wrote:From Oz in 1987:

Well, before he died, I distinctly remember we played in Knoxville, TN and he was just working on this new idea and it was so revolutionary, but we never recorded any of it. It was just on the threshold of coming out with this new dimension which would have…I know for a fact, because I go by my feelings. I go by my hairs on my arms and my hairs on my arms stand up. When anybody can do that to me, throughout my career, that’s a God-given gift when that does that to me. I think I’m a lot like the conductor that can go, “Yeah, that’s good. That makes me feel funny inside and so I’m passing it on.” And Randy was doing that every single day at soundcheck. It wasn’t like a guitar solo, it wasn’t like a guitar. It was like this new revolutionary idea which I’m damned if I knew what it was about. It was more like a sound effect kind of thing. I don’t know. It’s really hard to explain because I’m not a musician, but I was thinking, “God the next album is gonna be so amazing.” “
I remember reading a very simular interview and there Ozzy was telling that Randy was bouncing chords with a echo machine that would have sounded amazing.
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I remember reading that, too, Dutch. As I recall it was a rather substantial delay time...