Tribute planned for new year..

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Tribute planned for new year..

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

I see this is organised for January next year. A weekend of RR and John Bonham. Some fantastic drummers and guitarists playing Ozzy RR Zeppelin tracks.
Attachments
John bonham trib 2014.jpg
Randy Rhoads remembered 2014.jpg
randy will never die
Mass Poster

Re: Tribute planned for new year..

Post by randy will never die »

If you read the second poster closely it says any guitarist picks their favorite randy song and gets to play the song through a randy rig replica

THATS PRETY FREACKING COOL

IS it going to be recorded ?
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

That's a unique and very cool tribute idea. Thanks for the heads up, Shaun.
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

This very original, it makes me wish I could play guitar.
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
shawn
Cool Member

Post by shawn »

randy will never die wrote:If you read the second poster closely it says any guitarist picks their favorite randy song and gets to play the song through a randy rig replica

THATS PRETY FREACKING COOL

IS it going to be recorded ?
If you read it carefully it actually says every participating guitarist, which is very different from saying any guitarist. I would assume they would not allow just anybody to walk in and say "I wish to play SATO gives a go."
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

shawn wrote:I would assume they would not allow just anybody to walk in and say "I wish to play SATO gives a go."
That's exactly what they should do... their are thousands of great players who are 'unknown' and going to watch pros go off on a great song isn't nearly as cool.
RRfan4eveRR

Post by RRfan4eveRR »

I think that this is awesome and if I lived closer, I'd be sure to support both endeavors.

But in terms of allowing just anyone up there, I fear it would be painful experience and could perhaps even turn violent- say if someone with a short temper wanted to take the stage with a particular relic, couldn't use it and turned into an asshole- only to get up there and piss in everyone's ears by butchering Crazy Train?! :-) lol there's a couple posters here on UR that I could see flipping out, let alone random RR fans from wherever.
I don't have a short attention span I
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Well if they have the balls to get up on a stage and make a total prized penis out of track. Do you think they'd be so proud to show off any guitar wizardry to a crowd who are going to fuck you off. Like any jam session if your good enough to perform to an audience. Or is your ego bigger then that, just so you can say i got up on stage and played with Frankie Banneli, Rudy Sarzo and Doug Alridge but i made a total ass of meself.
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

Post by CanuckRhoadsFan »

RRfan4eveRR wrote:I think that this is awesome and if I lived closer, I'd be sure to support both endeavors.

But in terms of allowing just anyone up there, I fear it would be painful experience and could perhaps even turn violent- say if someone with a short temper wanted to take the stage with a particular relic, couldn't use it and turned into an asshole- only to get up there and piss in everyone's ears by butchering Crazy Train?! :-) lol there's a couple posters here on UR that I could see flipping out, let alone random RR fans from wherever.
Isn't this the truth? Lol!

I don't know what it is about Randy fandom, but some people just lose their shit. I don't know any other group of fans that get as nutty and worked up at times as Randy fans. Hearing about stuff like a dude showing up at the memorial/gravesite during the Memorial Day (day of Randy's passing) and cruising around the cemetery and blasting Ozzy music while the family was there is just distasteful, disrespectful, and not to mention weird.

I like Randy's music and find him an interesting celebrity, enough to find out more info about him, but Good God, some people take fandom to weird and uncomfortable levels. I could ABSOLUTELY see what you say being the case for some, ahem, "off" fans.

I guess I just don't understand how engrossed people get with Randy, and why. After all, he was just a person, like the rest of us. It would be great if people could just enjoy his music and dial back the weird!
RRfan4eveRR

Post by RRfan4eveRR »

LOL, Canuck- ever piss off a Phish fan? ;) I think we tend to notice the fans that cross the line because we're here in our little corner of the internet, but there are fans out there that cannot take even the slightest constructive criticism or objective opinion, especially on YouTube!! Some of those people will turn into the craziest hellbent trolls that are absolutely ravenous for carnage. But to an extent, imo yeah RR fans can be especially entertaining, and no, I don't know what it is either! Maybe it's just that there's little to no etiquette on the web and with the illusion of anonymity and privacy, some fans let all their insanity out for the world wide web to see...
RRfan4eveRR

Post by RRfan4eveRR »

Double post!! :-)
lordv8dr

Post by lordv8dr »

I'm going to the show at the Observatory. I know the NAMM show is that weekend. I read a rumor that some good guitar players will be in town that weekend and might show up and play at the event.

I'm not sure what to expect now. I don't really want to see a bunch of guitar players butchering and adding their own twists to the songs. I'm looking forward to hearing the replica rig live and loud which is pretty much why I'm going.

Anyone else going? Anyone ever been there? I've never been there. What is the venue like?

Phil
Noelle_Kim

Post by Noelle_Kim »

Greetings and salutations folks! What a great site this is! I wanted to introduce myself and make sure y'all knew the latest on RANDY RHOADS REMEMBERED, a show I'm beyond stoked to help produce. We JUST announced the initial line up yesterday and invite you all to join our FB family for all the news as it happens: http://www.facebook.com/RandyRhoadsRemembered ... GA ticket link & VIP Packages are available by going to http://www.CaliforniaMusicFest.com.

Here for your perusal is the latest press release and I will try to attach the new poster but this is my first time here so I hope I manage it properly!

1st ALL-STAR LINEUP OF GUITARISTS REVEALED FOR RANDY RHOADS REMEMBERED!!!
December 17, 2013 at 5:44pm
Randy Rhoads Remembered
First Lineup Of All Star Guitarists and Guests Revealed!!

Randy Rhoads Remembered: A Celebration Of A Legend: Saturday, January 25th, 2014 at The Observatory,
Santa Ana, CA reveals the first lineup of confirmed guitarists and special guests!!

RRR creator Brian Tichy recently took a break from attempting to learn some Randy licks from his live solo and said, "Last week we had a great time hanging and jamming at Randy's sister Kathy's D'Argenzio Winery, as well as Brent Woods and I going to Randy's Mausoleum and paying respect on his birthday, by hanging with some cool Randy fans and playing Dee. Now I am beyond excited to finally announce some of the best guitar players in the world coming together to celebrate Randy Rhoads; a guitarist who set the bar, inspired us all, was taken away far too soon, yet left such a huge mark on the world of rock guitar that he will never be forgotten! This lineup includes a myriad of insane talent, charisma, feel, technique and passion! Some of the guitarists confirmed are huge Randy fans while others influenced Randy himself! Some have studied with Randy while others have actually filled his shoes! But more importantly, all of them are badasses! We also welcome our buds Phil Soussan on bass and Neil Turbin on vocals! The show should have been called "A Festival Of Badasses!" I want to thank the guitarists as well as the amazing Very Special Guests for jumping aboard the Rhoads Train with complete enthusiasm! The house band, dubbed "The Madmen" is now also complete! Without musicians like this coming together with a strong passion, this show wouldn't happen! You can read it all in their quotes below! Long Live Randy Rhoads!"

Confirmed Guitarists:
Doug Aldrich (Whitesnake)
Nuno Bettencourt (Extreme/Rihanna)
Phil Demmel (Machine Head)
Brad Gillis (Night Ranger)
Tracii Guns
Kiko Loureiro (Angra)
Rowan Robertson (Dio)
Uli Jon Roth (Scorpions/Electric Sun)
Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal (Guns N' Roses)
Brent Woods (The Moby Dicks/Vince Neil)

And many more to come!!

Very Special Guests:
Kelle Rhoads (vox)
Phil Soussan (Big Noize/Ozzy Osbourne) bass
Neil Turbin (Deathriders/Anthrax) vocals

The Madmen:
Stephen LeBlanc (Jason Bonham's Led Zep Exp./The Moby Dicks) keys
Robert Mason (Warrant/Lynch Mob/Ozzy Osbourne) vox
Rudy Sarzo (Ozzy Osbourne / Quiet Riot/Whitesnake) bass
Brian Tichy (S.U.N./Whitesnake/Foreigner/Ozzy Osbourne)

Youtube clips:
Tichy and Woods performing "Dee" amongst Randy fans
at the Rhoads Mausoleum on Randy's birthday Dec. 6th. http://youtu.be/HeakJHmyitE

Tichy, Woods, and Soussan perform "Goodbye To Romance" at Kathy Rhoads D'Argenzio's Randy Rhoads celebration at her and husband Richard's wine room on Sat. Dec 7th. http://youtu.be/4yMkrwVqmCA

Tichy plays "Dee": http://youtu.be/AzKY8gjDSso

Order Randy Rhoads Cabernet Sauvigon at http://www.dargenziowine.com/wine-shop/randy-rhoads

For all things Musonia School Of Music, including private lessons, and to book a tour of this piece of musical history, contact Kelle Rhoads at 818-761-0521 or visit Musonia's FaceBook page: https://www.facebook.com/MusoniaSchoolOfMusic

Go to The Observatory website for tickets! http://www.observatoryoc.com/events/ran ... es-tribute
Also, click here for all VIP options for RRR, Bonzo Bash and our VIP Pussywhipped Party featuring The Iron Maidens,
Judas Priestess, and Hammer Of The Broads. http://californiamusicfest.com/

Tickets on sale NOW at: http://www.observatoryoc.com/events/ran ... es-tribute
VIP packages for RRR: http://californiamusicfest.com/
The Observatory: 3503 S. Harbor Blvd., Santa Ana, CA.714.957.0600
FB Event Page Here: https://www.facebook.com/events/234866966677227/
All press contact RRR Production Coordinator Noelle Kim at
ProducerNoelle@gmail.com or 310-849-3444

Please visit our Facebook page for all things related to the show at:
http://www.facebook.com/RandyRhoadsRemembered

Musician Quotes:

"Randy is one of The most influential people of my entire life. It's a total honor to be asked to take part in RRR1.
God Bless Randy."
~Doug Aldrich (Whitesnake)

"Watching Randy at 10am in the Oakland coliseum was my 1st concert experience and it was life changing.
It made me want to not only play guitar, but to perform with passion and emotion. I'm beyond honored to be
part of this celebration of a true legend and an immense inspiration."
~ Phil Demmel (Machine Head)

"Randy entered my soul like a lightning bolt and has remained there throughout my life.
He was like a magician but it was all real."
~Tracii Guns

"I remember first hearing Crazy Train (and the rest of "Blizzard of Ozz") on my brother's cassette boombox soon after it came out. The new Ozzy! It was as though everything cool and metal had been reborn. Randy was an electric shock to rock; music for teenage boys was about music again, we had to try to learn what he did. I'm incredibly excited to be a part of this tribute to Randy Rhoads, like the Bonzo tributes before, I know the love will be genuine and the spotlight on the memory of a legend."
~Stephen LeBlanc (Jason Bonham Led Zep Exp./The Moby Dicks)

"Randy is one of the most amazing virtuosos of all times. His unique, personal style and his fearless melodic approach caught my attention when I was discovering the electric guitar. I have spent many days in my teenage years trying to figure out how to play his awesome solos and riffs. I am excited and honored to be invited to join the incredible line-up of guitar players on “Randy Rhoads Remembered," each of us getting up on stage to pay tribute to a great guitar player that is a source of inspiration to generations of musicians."
~Kiko Loureiro (Angra)

“I first really heard Randy’s playing in the Winter of ’81; a cassette of Blizzard playing through a shitty tape deck in a school bus (our driver was cool!) All that night I couldn’t get those songs out of my head….what he did with a guitar changed me. We bought advance tickets for the Madison Square Garden Diary Tour show in ’82, but sadly it was just days after Randy had passed. Flash forward to 1995; Sharon calls me and asks if I’d join the band on the Ozzmosis World Tour- are you kidding me?! I spent the next 11 months as the first ever live background vocalist in the Ozzy band…a dream realized, for the kid at the back of the bus. “
~Robert Mason (Lynch Mob/ Ozzy Osbourne/ Cry Of Love/ Warrant)

Throughout the history guitar playing, there have been the undisputed masters of different genres. When it comes to the the nineteen eighties sound of hard rock guitar, in my mind, the two colossi have to be Eddie Van Halen and Randy Rhoads. They did it better than the rest. Everyone has their corner and their mark of brilliance, but have to be, in my mind, relegated to 'best of the rest.' What I do, and so many others like me do, Randy wrote the book on, and showed us the way.
~Rowan Robertson (Dio/ DC4)

"There are some guitar players who play and some who play well, and then there are some that just have a sound. You can sort of copy it but no-one can really duplicate it; the Kossofs, the Becks and Pages, the Ronsons and the Mays. The first time I heard Randy he had that sound - it was like a unique instrument, and his melodic playing was everything that excited me about rock music, everything that made you want to pick up and play the electric guitar. To me he represented the evolution of the 70’s glam guitar hero to the rock guitar icon of metal.

When I first started playing with Ozzy we naturally pulled a lot of material from the first two albums, as we only had the four albums to pick from. Whenever we played songs from "Diary" and "Blizzard" I would get this chill; like with the heat of the lights, power and adrenaline of the shows I would almost imagine that Randy was there playing with us - it was absolutely electric. I’d look around and almost feel like I might see him on stage, although I knew it was really only the power and legacy of his music that was making me feel that way. It was so strong - so eerie, like I was in a haunted house, but in a good way. I would have loved to have performed with Randy"
~Phil Soussan (Ozzy Osbourne/ Billy Idol/ Big Noize)

"Randy's approach to fusing classical music with heavy metal was so unique. I studied his playing like mad. Even his gear – I was reading all the magazines to see what he used, and I bought my first Marshall amp because that's what he played through. Randy was definitely an early guitar hero of mine. He was unlike anybody around at the time. He played with such fire, grace and intelligence. Randy Rhoads' playing still stuns me."
~Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal (Guns N' Roses)

"I met Randy Rhoads with Ozzy Osbourne August 14, 1981 at Nassau Coliseum in NY. Def Leppard was opening. My girlfriend worked for Leber-Krebs who was Def Leppard's management. I was in their dressing room with my GF before Def Leppard arrived. DL got settled in the room said hello straight away. They were all cool, friendly and humble guys. The next thing I noticed was these off the chart super hot girls that the band brought with them. It looked like half of 12 months of the Playboy calendar showing up in the room. As we were hanging out, in walked Ozzy and Randy introducing themselves to everyone. I was blown away that just happened. How does a kid from Queens get the chance to meet the amazing Randy Rhoads and Ozzy too! It was an incredible evening and experience which I remember well.

I brought my cassette tape recorder and remember Def Leppard were good that night. Then came Blizzard of Ozz with Randy Rhoads. When Randy hit the stage with Ozzy it was a sight to behold. He had this incredible stage presence and great unique heavy metal style. As they started to play their first song, "I Don't Know," the crowd went apeshit. When Randy played the pinch harmonics and they bounced off the roof of the Nassau Coliseum it sounded like Zeus came down from the heavens with lightning and thunder. Then Randy played these super shredding speedy licks within the nuances of the song. It was like he was shooting lightning bolts from his guitar. His guitar tone and playing on his signature 1974 Gibson Les Paul was so on fucking fire. Randy blew everyones doors off and the band was tight as fuck and killed it hard. Ozzy was at his peak. I will never forget it. It made a huge impression and impact on how I approached music and singing. It was one of the coolest moments I can ever remember. A total game changer. Good thing I still have the cassette tape of it. I was compelled to buy one of the Randy Rhoads signature Les Pauls 1974 Reissue VOS. Randy's tone and pinch harmonics were some of the best things I've ever heard come from a guitar ever. That was some serious next level Holy Shit.

I am extremely honored and super stoked to be part of the Randy Rhoads Remembered Event that honors the late great pioneer of shred guitar Randy Rhoads. \m/>
~Neil Turbin (DeathRiders, Anthrax)

###

=====================================
ORIGINAL PRESS RELEASE:

Randy Rhoads Remembered
A Celebration Of A Legend
Saturday, January 25th, 2014
The Observatory, Santa Ana, CA

From the creators of Bonzo Bash (the celebration show for Led Zeppelin's John Bonham) Brian Tichy and Joe Sutton bring you yet another celebration for an icon!

Tichy and Sutton, in conjunction with Randy Rhoads' brother Kelle Rhoads, the Rhoads family, Bonzo Bash guitarist/former student of Randy's, Brent Woods, as well as one of Rhoads' dearest friends; rock bass legend Rudy Sarzo, have come together to put on the ultimate tribute celebration in honor of one of the the most influential and brightest stars the world of rock guitar has ever seen; Randy Rhoads, the legendary guitarist who revivedOzzy Osbourne's career with two iconic records! Sadly, Randy's future was cut short on March 19th, 1982 when he died in a plane crash. He was only 25 years old. His songwriting, solos, technique and tone on the albums Blizzard Of Ozz and Diary Of A Madman permanently placed him at the top of rock's most influential guitarists polls.

The idea to give Randy a night of honor came together within the hundreds of hours of Bonzo Bash preparation and phone conversations between Brian Tichy and Joe Sutton. The two would often talk about other musicians that had made a huge impact on them growing up. The name that would come up and excite them the most was always Randy Rhoads.

Sometime in 2013, Tichy threw this idea at Brent Woods, a student of Rhoads' from the pre-Ozzy era, when Randy was not only the most popular local guitarist at the time, but an extremely popular teacher at Musonia, his mother Delores Rhoads' (Dee) music school. Brent has stayed very close with the Rhoads family as well as producing Kelle's classical music. Brent ran this idea by Kelle Rhoads who had already been to a Bonzo Bash. Kelle expressed interest in this and soon after, Woods and Tichy met with Kelle at Musonia. After a tour of the school and hours of hanging, Kelle gave the show his blessing and preparation began!

Tichy contacted legendary bassist Rudy Sarzo; his friend and bandmate from the recentGeoff Tate Queensryche tour they did together. Sarzo, bassist for Quiet Riot, Ozzy Osbourne and Whitesnake, also gave his blessing and agreed to play bass alongside Tichy, making up the night's rhythm section! Sarzo, one of the few people that had so much history alongside Rhoads and watched this amazing talent take over the world of rock guitar first hand, said, "Randy Rhoads Remembered is a unique celebration of his compositions and trail blazing guitar techniques. I'm extremely honored and excited to be a part of this significant event honoring my dear friend and bandmate featuring his musical contributions with Ozzy Osbourne and rarely performed compositions from his Quiet Riot years."

"RRR" is going to include an array of the world's best guitarists as well as special guests all coming together to honor the man that we all wish was still here writing and performing! Updates will be frequent as invites and schedules are just being put together!

Tichy (ex-drummer for Whitesnake, Foreigner, Billy Idol and Ozzy Osbourne, as well as guitarist for S.U.N.,) says, "I am so psyched to get this show together! Randy's playing, and the music on those 2 Ozzy records were huge to me! I am a drummer but I also started putting a lot of time into guitar at the same time Randy came out. I heard Ozzy being interviewed on the radio when Blizzard Of Ozz was released. They played "I Don't Know" and when the guitar kicked in I was floored and I was an instant fan! I spent countless hours trying to learn Randy's songs, riffs and solos while I was also just a beginner on guitar. I tried to learn Randy's live solo note for note! I had Randy's posters on my basement walls! I still have those posters framed in my home studio right now! Brent and I even shared a bottle of Randy Rhoads wine when it first came out!

I went on to play with the amazing Zakk Wylde in Pride & Glory and then had the honor to play with Ozzy himself on the 2000 Ozzfest tour with another student of Randy Rhoads'; Joe Holmes; an awesome guitarist in his own right! Not to mention that just this year, while playing guitar with my band S.U.N. in Las Vegas, Rhoads' replacement in the Osbourne band, Jake E. Lee, came up on stage and jammed with us! But I think this next story may take the cake...

In 2000, after auditioning for Ozzy in Burbank, CA, I left and headed to a gig. I was going a tad too fast on Hollywood Way and got pulled over. The officer saw my drums and asked what I was doing. I told him, "I just auditioned for Ozzy Osbourne and I am running late for a gig." The officer replied, 'Black Sabbath was the first concert I ever saw, and I pulled Randy Rhoads over on this same street. If you get the Ozzy gig, I want you to send me a T-shirt. Now get out of here and slow down!' So, yes, I sent him the T-shirt! Haha!"

Kelle Rhoads, who will be a guest vocalist at RRR stated, "I am excited that a tribute concert with this caliber of talent is being staged for Randy. I have attended and participated in memorial shows in the past, but nothing has been staged along this scale before now. The Rhoads Family is touched and extremely grateful to Brian Tichy, Joe Sutton and Brent Woods for their vision and commitment to this special remembrance for Randy."

Joe Sutton, Tichy's partner in RRR as well as Bonzo Bash, also grew up on Randy. He saw Randy live on the Blizzard Of Ozz tour in Memphis. Sutton says, "This is going to be the greatest guitar event in the world."

Brent Woods, Randy's student who probably spent more time learning from Randy than most, had this to say, "31 years after the tragic death of my mentor and favorite guitar player, it's time for a proper celebration of Randy's legacy. Being involved with the Bonzo Bash since day one, I know Randy Rhoads Remembered will be a tribute unlike any other."

With this group of friends, family and talent joining together to honor their brother, bandmate, friend, teacher and hero, there is no doubt this is going to be a special occasion! Every song from Blizzard Of Ozz and Diary Of A Madman will be performed; each song by a different guitarist! Some guitarists will tie into Randy's history, others are icons that were hugely influenced by Randy Rhoads themselves! Guitar gods will be announced shortly!

This is a show that was due to happen somewhere down the Rhoads! Tichy and Sutton are stoked that the gears are in motion and this night will become a reality and Randy Rhoads will be acknowledged in the most respectful way possible!! See you there!

For all things Musonia School Of Music, including private lessons, and to book a tour of this piece of musical history, contact Kelle Rhoads at 818-761-0521 or visit Musonia's FaceBook page: https://www.facebook.com/MusoniaSchoolOfMusic

Tickets on sale NOW at: http://www.observatoryoc.com/events/ran ... es-tribute
VIP packages for RRR: http://californiamusicfest.com/

The Observatory: 3503 S. Harbor Blvd., Santa Ana, CA.714.957.0600
For all VIP multi-option packages, please go to: http://californiamusicfest.com/
FB Event Page Here: https://www.facebook.com/events/234866966677227/
All press contact RRR Production Coordinator Noelle Kim at
ProducerNoelle@gmail.com or 310-849-3444

Please visit our Facebook page for all things related to the show at:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Randy-Rh ... 9977566475

Watch Tichy play "Dee" by Randy
Rhoads here: http://youtu.be/AzKY8gjDSso
###
Attachments
1460074_438933249563481_1068711964_n.jpg
Noelle_Kim

Post by Noelle_Kim »

Oops! Sorry about the double post!
lordv8dr

Post by lordv8dr »

What is the venue like, anyone have any pics? Small stage, large stage, loud PA, theater seats, theater seats and standing room, standing room only? How many people does the Observatory hold?

Can you give some more detail about the VIP party. I already bought my tickets a few weeks ago and I need some more data to justify spending the additional money on the VIP tickets.

Thanks

Phil