Diary of a Madman Book from 1985

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

DMRX
Mass Poster

Diary of a Madman Book from 1985

Post by DMRX »

Okay guys,this post is about the Ozzy Bigraphy from 1985 written by Mick Wall called Diary of a Madman.Now Im nearly 35 years old & I am Lucky to know this book from my older brother who turned me onto RR when I was like 6 in 1985-86.
But for you younger guys this was THE OZZY RR Book of its day,as it was an "Authorized" Biography .....full of inaccurant "Facts" as well as Legit ones & stories that you wouldnt have found anywhere else,I mean WAY Before the Internet.
Tons of great Pics Too.....and I cant stress enough how hard this was for me to find another copy as My brothers copy was Chopped up for the RR scrapbook (it took 20 years) & I wasnt ever able to re-read more than a page at most until I found a Copy about 5 years ago.

Its full of "different" Versions of Randys audition,Bob & Lees part,Speak of the devil,the accident stories that are different than they were later told or re-arranged, as well as many great Ozzys Sabbath Days Stories.

I picked it off the shelf today and having not read it in sometime was inspired by some things I hadnt though of in years & thought I'd Share,what was a Holy Grail before Tribute even came out
But for those of you who wont ever be able to read,I figured Id share some Cool stuff that you wont really find anywhere else.

This is an excerpt from the Diary of a Madman ablum Review/Desription
this is starting after a Wondeful Desription of the front & back covers as well as the inner sleeve,I dont have the energy at this minute to type all that ,but I will if requested...

Above the shot of the band there are twelve letters from the Magic Alphabet that spell Ozzy Osbourne,on the back there are more'Magig Alphabet' letters & strange indecipherable scrawls at the foot of the page.The mysterious esoteric symbolism was blindly picked up on by the media vultures as certin to contain hidden messages from beyond the grave,strange harbringers of weird & indecipherable doom.Lock up your sons & daughters,keep your animals in the house,& beware strange writing only the chosen few can read.
the man responsible fore the lay-out and design of DOAMM sleeve is Steve Joule,a Brittish design artist who specilises in the heavy metal sphere.He told me the truth behind the so-called 'hidden meanings' scattered dead-herring style all over the sleeve.
'Its funny how it happened' he smiled.I used letters from ""the Magic Alphabet" that I found in an Old 60s mag I had lying around called Man,Myth,and Magic.But all the words say on the front is "Ozzy Osbourne" and on the back something like "Friday & Saturday"
As far as squiggles at the bottom of the lyric sheet,thats exacctly what they are-just Bloody squiggles! What happened was that I'd cocked-up the lay-out for the lyric sheet.Id had the words printed smaller than I wanted,so I ended up w/this blacck empty space at the bottom.Then the phone rings and its Jet records telling me ther'll be a Cab around in 20 mins to pick up the finished work!I thought,"Oh my God"what am I going to do"? So I just started squigglingmeaningless bullshit,& 20 min laterI was finished & the cab arrived and took the whole thing away.When I heard that some people in America were reading all kinds of things into those squiggles I laughed out loud,I mean How bloody Daft can you be??

It continues later about the Speak/Talk of the devil cover & how that actually says stuff about Randy....I'll post that later...

Last edited by DMRX on Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Re: Diary of a Madman Book from 1985

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

"Hi Mick Wall here, if you know what's good for you i'd remove that image dude...."
DMRX
Mass Poster

Post by DMRX »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:"Hi Mick Wall here, if you know what's good for you i'd remove that image dude...."

:lol:
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Yeah Dave that is one of the better books on the early blizzard line up. I have sold a few of these on ebay i would buy job lots of Ozzy items and this book would be included in cuttings from magazines and various programme lots etc. Some great chapters and pics of the band. This and a couple of other books, the Ozzy HM photo book and the Ozzy book by Garry Johnson are all great early reading and a nice one for the collector. Not forgetting the Garry Sharpe Young book which is a great detailed book on all the people who made up the earlier blizzard band before Randy and co joined the ranks.
Attachments
Ozzy Garry Johnson book.jpg
Ozzy Diary book Mick Wall.jpg
DMRX
Mass Poster

Post by DMRX »

Agreed Idol! My brothers scrapbook had also included the HM photo book.