Mxr Distortion + script model

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

dannyahansen
Mass Poster

Re: Mxr Distortion + script model

Post by dannyahansen »

kamalayka wrote:I have an MXR Dist. 3 pedal. It sounds better than the vintage stuff, in my opinion.
That is a totally different pedal. That is almost like comparing a boss super overdrive to an MXR distorion plus. They are not the same pedal.

But I am glad you found something that you like. THat really is what is important.
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

BowTie29 wrote:
There is a reissue of this version now....however some people say there is some difference to the Script version and the Version released later in the 80s /90s this is the one i have....
From what I heard:
the original distortion+ had germanium diodes instead of the cheaper more common silicon ones that are used in the new "reissue" pedals. The germanium diodes are supposed to sound a lot warmer.
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

The Flying Dutchman wrote:
BowTie29 wrote:
There is a reissue of this version now....however some people say there is some difference to the Script version and the Version released later in the 80s /90s this is the one i have....
From what I heard:
the original distortion+ had germanium diodes instead of the cheaper more common silicon ones that are used in the new "reissue" pedals. The germanium diodes are supposed to sound a lot warmer.

I have the 80s/90s version ive heard the script version too it sounds a little different but when i pair the mxr plus with a marshall drive master which is like a Jcm 800 in a box through a tube amp i can start to hear Randys tone...

I havent ever tried a 10 band eq too though i might be getting into nerd territory with that ?
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

BowTie29 wrote:
From what I heard:

I can believe that, his tone although quite honky/midrange still sounded quite warm.
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
randy will never die
Mass Poster

Post by randy will never die »

BowTie29 wrote:
From what I heard:

Isn't there a mod where you can take a modern MXR distortion plus and put germanium diodes in to it

Would it sound similar if you did this mod ?
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

randy will never die wrote:
BowTie29 wrote:
From what I heard:

Isn't there a mod where you can take a modern MXR distortion plus and put germanium diodes in to it

it would sound similar without it too :)
The Flying Dutchman

Looks like Dunlop is making the original 'script logo' again: http://proguitarshop.com/mxr-csp104-vin ... rtion.html
Too bad it only runs on batteries and not a 9V adaptor, maybe there is a mod for that as well? :)
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

randy will never die wrote:
BowTie29 wrote:
From what I heard:

The limited edition script 1973 hand wired model ( this year ) has exactly the same components as Randy`s ...... in the Uk they are over 100 Pounds pretty expensive and it sounds like this :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JW12COqGmc

I think this is just pure Mxr Distortion no eq or Marshall gain though...but sounds more like Randy than my Mxr block writing 80s model ......

mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

The Flying Dutchman wrote:Looks like Dunlop is making the original 'script logo' again: http://proguitarshop.com/mxr-csp104-vin ... rtion.html
Too bad it only runs on batteries and not a 9V adaptor, maybe there is a mod for that as well? :)

Do you mean this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JW12COqGmc

This is the limited edition version but im not sure if it runs on 9v ?

The Flying Dutchman

Yes, sounds already waaayyy better than that crap reissue pedal I have! 8)

*"Standard 9v Battery Powered" that's a big minus though....
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

The Flying Dutchman wrote:Yes, sounds already waaayyy better than that crap reissue pedal I have! 8)

*"Standard 9v Battery Powered" that's a big minus though....
Would using a 9v adapter alter something with this early version then? i dont understand it because Randy`s was housed in his pedalboard which wouldve been powered by some kind of power so what would that affect ? I assume it has something to do with the circuitry and germanium diodes?

I found another video of the script in action :).....i forgot that Slash used one too..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsYmovPZknE

mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

Hey Dutch you said you have the re-issue Mxr plus is it the block writing one? i have one i bought it from ebay. But i use a fender amp ( all valve) so i just ran it clean with an old Marshall drive master pedal (basically a jcm 800 in a box) .When i ran both mxr dist plus with the marshall drive master pedal it started to sound like Randy....

I honestly dont think he had either the Marshall running alone or the Dist plus running alone at anytime....I heard somewhere that he used that crappy Zeus practice board to record " you looking at me looking at you" but i think thats nonsense. I also read somewhere that it was just the Mxr distortion plus alone basically on Blizzard of Ozz nothing from the Marshall except the amplification. Im not sure about that either what do you think?

GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

One here from 1978 $135 + $30 shipping
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1978-MXR-distor ... 3386fa6e8b
The Flying Dutchman

mojopin70 wrote:Hey Dutch you said you have the re-issue Mxr plus is it the block writing one? i have one i bought it from ebay. But i use a fender amp ( all valve) so i just ran it clean with an old Marshall drive master pedal (basically a jcm 800 in a box) .When i ran both mxr dist plus with the marshall drive master pedal it started to sound like Randy....
Yep, I have the block writing one with a Led. I tried it once in front of a crancked plexi Marshall. (clean boost setting) But it killed all the dynamics, any other overdrive pedal is better than that imo.
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

dannyahansen wrote:
mojopin70 wrote:
BowTie29 wrote:
I have a reissue and I think it sounds like ass. I have never liked it and it never sounded like Randy. I mean with a JCM 800 it should sound something like Randy's tone. But it doesn't. Just muffled and garbbled. I have wanted to try a script model but they are expensive and I have found other pedals that I am happy with. So eh. Another thing is the 10 band graphic eq. That was a big part of his sound. You kind of need both. I have a 7 band that I ran with the MXR and I still hated it.

Yes i know what you mean...i have the old block writing mxr but i paired it with a marshall drive master pedal which is like a jcm 800 in a box its not that far away from his sound but , thats through a fender valve amp without the 10 band eq . But since i heard the script pedal i realised thats what is really missing....