Mxr Distortion + script model

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

mojopin70
Mass Poster

Re: Mxr Distortion + script model

Post by mojopin70 »

The Flying Dutchman wrote:
mojopin70 wrote:Hey Dutch you said you have the re-issue Mxr plus is it the block writing one? i have one i bought it from ebay. But i use a fender amp ( all valve) so i just ran it clean with an old Marshall drive master pedal (basically a jcm 800 in a box) .When i ran both mxr dist plus with the marshall drive master pedal it started to sound like Randy....
Yep, I have the block writing one with a Led. I tried it once in front of a crancked plexi Marshall. (clean boost setting) But it killed all the dynamics, any other overdrive pedal is better than that imo.

Thats interesting . I think it must be the 10 band eq too . Look at this i saw it yesterday on Tami Forwards Facebook

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl-RzSYHkY4#t=21 this bloke seems to have it quite close ( the tone) i have seen his spotlight solo done better but its still very good....

He says he recorded it using

Guitar : Polka Dot Flying V was painted by me.
Pick up(Bridge) : DiMarzio superdistortion.
Amp : Marshall Super Lead 100 '71. Vol 6, the others are 10.
Pedals : MXR Distortion+ and MXR EQ.
Sound Recording : ROLAND VS-1680.
Mic : Shure Beta-57.
Video editing : Corel Video Studio Ver 12 plus.

Did you notice he was only using a 6 band mxr eq? not 10 band?

Her facebook is this one too : https://www.facebook.com/Rhoadies

Shes posted some of Bob`s photos from his book on her site they are all copyrighted though....
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

mojopin70 wrote:Did you notice he was only using a 6 band mxr eq? not 10 band?
I prefer the mxr 6 band over the 10 band as well, the sliders of the 6-bands are placed better in the guitar spectrum imo. As for the sound in that clip, it sounds like he is using the new mxr dist+ re-issue there...? To me the sound in that clip is narrow and lifeless. All the plexi character is gone. Nice playing though.
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

I prefer the mxr 6 band over the 10 band as well, the sliders of the 6-bands are placed better in the guitar spectrum imo. As for the sound in that clip, it sounds like he is using the new mxr dist+ re-issue there...? To me the sound in that clip is narrow and lifeless. All the plexi character is gone. Nice playing though.

Its a bit thin, but the tone is quite close i think. Yes its the block writing one i can see.
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

What about this video of Randy Chambers? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHK0jm3Dt2U

Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

used to have a 10-band EQ a few years ago.
was the noisiest pedal I've ever heard :shock:
Lespauly
Cool Member

Post by Lespauly »

Ive tried the block MXR dist + and the old script through a RR Marshall head--the old script is a lot warmer and better for RR tone from what I heard
The Flying Dutchman

mojopin70 wrote:What about this video of Randy Chambers? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHK0jm3Dt2U
Nice playing but the sound is totally different from this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWvp9Cd6HUo

(on the other hand the sound in both clips you posted is not that different from each other....)
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

mojopin70 wrote:What about this video of Randy Chambers? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHK0jm3Dt2U
Nice playing but the sound is totally different from this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWvp9Cd6HUo

(on the other hand the sound in both clips you posted is not that different from each other....)
Yeah this Randy recording wouldve been analogue equipment so its going to sound " warmer" and not as bright say as these recent you tube players and has aged too. It sounds live like he had much more saturation than just running the Mxr Dist alone for example. I guess he pushed up the Marshall gain and Mxr for extra saturation ? You can hear the amp trying to feedback at every moment, and as he said in that seminar he had to cover the pickups with his hand because the amps were screaming...

The Flying Dutchman

mojopin70 wrote:It sounds live like he had much more saturation than just running the Mxr Dist alone for example. I guess he pushed up the Marshall gain and Mxr for extra saturation ?
A crancked NMV plexi already deliver a lot of distortion on it's own. And when you add a boost in front of it you enter high-gain territory real easy. But it's still very dynamic and very different sound/feel than nowadays high-gain amps where all the distortion is comming from multiple gain stages in the preamp (and not the powertubes) resulting lots of times in a compressed thin buzzy sound without any balls. I think he used the mxr dist+ mainly for the boost while keeping the distortion level as low as possible. If you are after real exciting guitarsounds from the old days this can be very helpful: http://www.legendarytones.com/boostingmystery.html
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

mojopin70 wrote:It sounds live like he had much more saturation than just running the Mxr Dist alone for example. I guess he pushed up the Marshall gain and Mxr for extra saturation ?
A crancked NMV plexi already deliver a lot of distortion on it's own. And when you add a boost in front of it you enter high-gain territory real easy. But it's still very dynamic and very different sound/feel than nowadays high-gain amps where all the distortion is comming from multiple gain stages in the preamp (and not the powertubes) resulting lots of times in a compressed thin buzzy sound without any balls. I think he used the mxr dist+ mainly for the boost while keeping the distortion level as low as possible. If you are after real exciting guitarsounds from the old days this can be very helpful: http://www.legendarytones.com/boostingmystery.html

Yes thats quite interesting you know the 1973 script Mxr which i saw has a information booklet inside and it has a couple of settings and one is called " made in rhoads" and the output is maxed and distortion maxed.

I think you are probably right though but i think his Mxr output wouldve been maxed at least because its so quiet until you max out.

I use it as a kind of clean boost in my band with the distortion zero and the output maxed it sounds quite nice through a fender valve amp.

Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

Got my script logo reissue in today. I never played a script before this have not tried nor had one since about 15yrs ago. I must say it is a very nice pedal. I did not A/B it with my OCD but I will probably do that tomorrow. I had to switch back from my high input to the low on my 78' in order for it to really sound good though, to much noise on high input with it.

Could be a keeper and overtake the OCD...
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

Cheers for that link very interesting article.....

Cryptic Night
Mass Poster

Post by Cryptic Night »

The Flying Dutchman wrote:Looks like Dunlop is making the original 'script logo' again: http://proguitarshop.com/mxr-csp104-vin ... rtion.html
Too bad it only runs on batteries and not a 9V adaptor, maybe there is a mod for that as well? :)
Sorry for the necro (Especially for an off-topic kind of thing), but I got one of those pedals for Christmas. I have to wait until I get my setup from practice, but when I do, I can't wait to try it out. I've been using the Block Logo pedal with the LED light. Hopefully it'll sound warmer now :D
Like the lunar and solar lights, humanity's unaligned, undefined.
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

Cryptic Night wrote:
The Flying Dutchman wrote:Looks like Dunlop is making the original 'script logo' again: http://proguitarshop.com/mxr-csp104-vin ... rtion.html
Too bad it only runs on batteries and not a 9V adaptor, maybe there is a mod for that as well? :)
Sorry for the necro (Especially for an off-topic kind of thing), but I got one of those pedals for Christmas. I have to wait until I get my setup from practice, but when I do, I can't wait to try it out. I've been using the Block Logo pedal with the LED light. Hopefully it'll sound warmer now :D

hey cryp.

I thought the script model was warmer but also "fuzzier" when maxed i think thats why Randy called it the " fuzz pedal"

The block logo was less " fuzzier" somehow.....