Randy needing help on stage?

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

mojopin70
Mass Poster

Re: Randy needing help on stage?

Post by mojopin70 »

You may play in bands and know the ques for others on how to end a song etc. My brothers been playing in bands for years and i've followed him in all of his projects. I don't play but i understand the 'conducting' the band idea. I was at the Newcastle show and i didn't see any of this. You cannot judge this by a photograph. What gig is the photo from ?. If it was from one of the later dates in the tour it's not giving Randy much kudos 20 odd gigs played and still looking for prompts on how to finish a song etc. I think Randy was made of better material he picked ideas up quickly.[/quote][/quote][/quote]

Nope that is Bob rocking out and looking over to Lee . The top photo is Bob looking over to Randy and giving him a cue...

WHy dont you ask him Shaun ? ask if that photo is him giving Randy a cue or just looking at Randy like he wants to take him to bed?

Randy had much less experience than Bob or Lee and and much younger in his years what is the problem? He was only human he was just getting started....he was 22 years old and just beginning to find his feet.Bob had been on the pro circuit for YEARS and Lee too.

It says in his book he gave Randy cues and nods in certain places you are disputing it with me why?.The facts are in Bobs book which is called For Facts Sake and this photo clearly shows Randy looking to Bob not Ozzy as he usually did later for cues and guidance.I doubt there is a better photo showing this.

To say you cant remember that happening at the show you attended in 1980 is just daft.Are you telling me down in the audience squashed between loads of denim sweaties you can remember 33 years later that Bob didnt give Randy any nods or gestures that you werent supposed to notice anyway? sorry thats bollocks.... :lol:
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

Sky wrote:
GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:Troy its trivial but as far as being accurate the amount of dates Bob mentioned for the UK tour wasn't correct Bob mentions the 3 dates played in Scotland and mentions the Newcastle gig and then says the rest of the 25 dates. Or something along those lines when you add the amount up its short by a few gigs. It's something i'm very much in the knowing of and researched the dates in detail and found out about the gigs which don't get mentioned much. As well as the gigs which ended up being rescheduled etc. I know the book would make boring reading if it was read like a day by day blow by blow journal. But Bob seems to be on the ball with times and what happened on this day etc like when John Lennon died etc. When it was Randy and Ozzy's birthdays etc.
Plus the mention of the Bob prompting Randy on stage i was at the Newcastle gig 17th September and i couldn't see any obvious nodding and prompting for guiding Randy so thats why i mentioned the second Newcastle gig. 17th October which was a month later. I could understand Randy being nervous and if they changed arrangements of the songs live for queing the outros on songs that faded out etc. But as far as his playing, he played a blinder on both Newcastle gigs.
Hi Shaun, before the UK tour kicked off in Glasgow, Bob was given an itinerary with 29 dates and that's what he was referring to in his book, as you know dates were cancelled/postponed and the list was added to. Yeah, Bob does mention birthdays, and dates that mean something to him personally, like the day when Sharon phoned in tears to tell him that John Lennon had died. To me, that's more interesting than reading about gigs where nothing unusual happened.
For the first couple of weeks Randy did ask Bob to give him visual cues because he was unsure about some of the arrangements and changes in some songs. That's also mentioned in Klein's book.

For the first couple of weeks Randy did ask Bob to give him visual cues because he was unsure about some of the arrangements and changes in some songs. That's also mentioned in Klein's book.

Thank you for clearing that up Sky.
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Well i was at the gig in question and i witnessed the show, if i over looked any visuals on Bob's face pulling and nodding i must of been too busy looking at Randy blowing me away with his out standing performance. Yeah the guy is human and i get the idea of queing the guys up for outros etc and changes in songs but it was 30 odd years ago did Bob make a foot note of this in his diary or has his memory faded like mine. Funny i asked Bob ages ago if he could remember the dates of 'the Law' warm up gigs and he couldn't remember. So that was not recorded in his diary. But since writing the book he has found out when the dates happened. Not to say his book is factual, but to remember every thing ??. I can understand after 4 days into the tour him prompting the guy. But as far as that photo goes ????. Its the last gig of the tour 34 gigs later i think Randy would of been some what fluid on his playing by then, playing the same set every night. I witnessed the Newcastle gig, need i say any more. 'We' are all experts, but you never seen the guy playing Live so how can you be a judge ???...
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

If it was the diary tour with the castle stage i could understand as the sound must of been terrible bouncing around like a ping pong ball in a wind tunnel. Randy, Rudy and Ozzy would of all been relying on monitors and hearing Tommy. I've heard many boots from both the 1980 81 and 82 gigs and i can honestly say Randy is fluid on 98% of the gigs. I have heard slight changes in intros etc but his playing was rock solid.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:I witnessed the Newcastle gig, need i say any more. 'We' are all experts, but you never seen the guy playing Live so how can you be a judge ???...
Not trying to start anything, Shaun, but I've got two questions for you about this:

1 - How old were you when you saw this gig?

2 - How many years had you been playing onstage at the time of this gig?
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Not trying to start anything Paul Fuck off i was 14 and had many gigs under me belt. My memory is good you've seen the photos and heard the bootlegs but because you play guitar. I'm full of shit yeah whatever ...
Sky
Madman

Post by Sky »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:Well i was at the gig in question and i witnessed the show, if i over looked any visuals on Bob's face pulling and nodding i must of been too busy looking at Randy blowing me away with his out standing performance. Yeah the guy is human and i get the idea of queing the guys up for outros etc and changes in songs but it was 30 odd years ago did Bob make a foot note of this in his diary or has his memory faded like mine. Funny i asked Bob ages ago if he could remember the dates of 'the Law' warm up gigs and he couldn't remember. So that was not recorded in his diary. But since writing the book he has found out when the dates happened. Not to say his book is factual, but to remember every thing ??. I can understand after 4 days into the tour him prompting the guy. But as far as that photo goes ????. Its the last gig of the tour 34 gigs later i think Randy would of been some what fluid on his playing by then, playing the same set every night. I witnessed the Newcastle gig, need i say any more. 'We' are all experts, but you never seen the guy playing Live so how can you be a judge ???...
Shaun, the set may have been the same during the tour but the songs were extended and rearranged to lengthen them, plus Randy was having to play Black Sabbath songs that he hated and wasn't familiar with in front of thousands of people, when QR had only played to a few hundred people at the most.
Randy asked Bob to give him cues at the beginning of the first UK tour, it's not unusual for band members to cue each other when arrangements are slightly 'flexible' each night.
Max Norman has said in interviews that Randy could be quite nervous, even in a studio, probably because he was a perfectionist, and this was his first experience of being in a 'big' band.
Don Airey has an interview on Youtube saying how Bob helped Randy.
Nobody ever suggested that Bob helped Randy to play guitar.
As for the dates of the Law gigs, they're definitely in Bob's diary, the dates are also on the photos that were taken the night before the first gig in Blackpool. If you asked Bob about those dates before he started writing his book, 30+ diaries and the photos would still have been locked away in boxes.
"Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't goin' away." - Elvis Presley
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:Not trying to start anything Paul Fuck off i was 14 and had many gigs under me belt. My memory is good you've seen the photos and heard the bootlegs but because you play guitar. I'm full of shit yeah whatever ...
Nice tantrum.

My point is, were you really watching from the point of view of a seasoned veteran or a 14-year-old fan? My money's on the fan. You have made statements here like you have a eidetic memory and can recall every detail at will. Since there is no film to prove things one way or another, we'd just have to take your word for it...

I see no reason to doubt that the guys in the band looked to each other for cues onstage. Was Bob leading Randy through everything? I doubt that, but from time to time either of them may have looked to each other to insure they were in sync.
DMRX
Mass Poster

Post by DMRX »

My first thought is that he was probibaly refveering to the sabbath songs.I'm sure randy knew his songs.as for cues .any band does that u can see randy doing it w tommy all thru the chicago vid esp. The steal away intro
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Nice tantrum FPMSL ... You've got a good way of putting the question over to say "how can i trip this fucker up"... You needed to ask how old i was ?? I think you knew that answer....How many years had i had playing on stage at 14 about the same amount as you as a 14 year old NON ???... Your asking the impossible but as a 14 year old i was at the gig. Did you see Randy in concert ....NO !!!...
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

DMRX wrote:My first thought is that he was probibaly refveering to the sabbath songs.I'm sure randy knew his songs.as for cues .any band does that u can see randy doing it w tommy all thru the chicago vid esp. The steal away intro

I really dont think theres any reason to doubt Bob Daisleys own words in his book that state that he helped Randy with nods and cues early on in the Blizzard tour that Randy was still unsure of, not only that Randy looked up to Bob he was only 22 in a new country and quite shy,and Bob was already an experienced touring and recording musician.

mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

Paul Wolfe wrote:
GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:Not trying to start anything Paul Fuck off i was 14 and had many gigs under me belt. My memory is good you've seen the photos and heard the bootlegs but because you play guitar. I'm full of shit yeah whatever ...
Nice tantrum.

My point is, were you really watching from the point of view of a seasoned veteran or a 14-year-old fan? My money's on the fan. You have made statements here like you have a eidetic memory and can recall every detail at will. Since there is no film to prove things one way or another, we'd just have to take your word for it...

I see no reason to doubt that the guys in the band looked to each other for cues onstage. Was Bob leading Randy through everything? I doubt that, but from time to time either of them may have looked to each other to insure they were in sync.
Paul to me there is absolutely no big surprise that a 22 year old young shy musician in a strange country who had just formed a band with 3 already experienced musicians with years of experience would look to someone like Bob Daisley a strong writer and player for guidance . When i read this in Bob`s book i didnt even think twice about it it absolutely would be to me a completely natural thing to do.

*Remember also Randy had already heard of Bob`s previous bands( Widowmaker and Rainbow ) and was a fan and used to listen to those 2 albums a lot, also he was a fan of Lee`s previous band Uriah Heep ( which Kelle took him to see years before).

hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

I love how people can twist one or two lines into meaning something else. I think Randy did look to Bob for cues. Was he supposed to look to Ozzy or Lee on the drum riser? Bob was the bass player (held down the rhythm) and Randy was the lead guitarist (switched between rhythm and lead). I'm sure when Randy was jumping back and forth (doing fills, solos) he looked to Bob. How little or how much he did he rely on it? That is the missing data. Does this have to be determined to a greater or lesser degree? It seems like people are debating over 6 or one half dozen. Is there something deeper here or did I miss something?
clashradio
Cool Member

Post by clashradio »

Well hansolo,

I think you did miss something here. Like I said, Randy was young, eager to please, dedicated, triple tracked his parts, went through rehearsals. I don't believe he needed to look for cues, especially by November. Even the lp was released by then, and you know he had a cassette copy long before it was officially released, to review.
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

I believe Randy did his homework and knew his parts. I'm saying just because Bob says he looked to him for the cues does not mean Randy didn't know the parts. Out of the rest of the band, Bob would be the go to guy. Not Ozzy and Randy probably couldn't see Lee that well. Now, it's all a matter for the fan to imagine to what lesser or greater degree. I never said Randy had to have cues nor did I say he didn't rely on them. You guys appear to be trying to put an exact figure on Bob saying, "Randy looked to me for cues." Which I believe is true but again, how far are we taking it?