Randy needing help on stage?

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

clashradio
Cool Member

Randy needing help on stage?

Post by clashradio »

For the folks here who have read Bob’s book, did anyone else catch what Bob said about around the time of the November 17th (‘80) Newcastle gig, that he played as conductor to Randy. “Providing facial nods and gestures to guide him, as Randy was unsure of some of the arrangements and changes”.

Now I’m a firm believer that if it wasn’t for Bob, there would be no Blizzard and Diary...period, no question. I don't believe Bob (and Lee) get enough credit. No matter how good Randy was and how much of an icon Ozzy was, without songwriting you’ve got nothin. Randy was a disciplined musician. Young, dedicated, eager to please. Not to mention he recorded the lp, triple tracked most or all of his parts, and went through rehearsals before the tour. There’s no way a person in that situation would have not been fully 100% prepared. I’m sure for Bob’s sake, his facts are true. So far from reading his book, this is the only fact in question.
sollus

Re: Randy needing help on stage?

Post by sollus »

Hello,

I do not agree. Randy made ​​the more difficult it is to give ideas for the songs:
i don k - randy's riff
crazy train randy's riff (bob only did the bassline for the guitar solo)
revelation - not to say
suicide solution - music quiet riot
mr crowley - randy's riff
s away - randy wearing this riff to warm the fingers of your hand

To get you thinking: why bob d participated in several albums that is only known by that albums he did with randy?

These albums would be different without the bob d but its essence would be the same

Sorry for my English.
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

sollus wrote:Hello,

I do not agree. Randy made ​​the more difficult it is to give ideas for the songs:
i don k - randy's riff
crazy train randy's riff (bob only did the bassline for the guitar solo)
revelation - not to say
suicide solution - music quiet riot
mr crowley - randy's riff
s away - randy wearing this riff to warm the fingers of your hand

To get you thinking: why bob d participated in several albums that is only known by that albums he did with randy?

These albums would be different without the bob d but its essence would be the same

Sorry for my English.

Sollus do you know anything about writing and arranging songs? Not only that you are calling Bob a liar? In fact you can clearly see Randy looking at Bob for guidance in one of the Blizzard live photos ,ive been playing long enough to know that much.
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

clashradio wrote:For the folks here who have read Bob’s book, did anyone else catch what Bob said about around the time of the November 17th (‘80) Newcastle gig, that he played as conductor to Randy. “Providing facial nods and gestures to guide him, as Randy was unsure of some of the arrangements and changes”.

Now I’m a firm believer that if it wasn’t for Bob, there would be no Blizzard and Diary...period, no question. I don't believe Bob (and Lee) get enough credit. No matter how good Randy was and how much of an icon Ozzy was, without songwriting you’ve got nothin. Randy was a disciplined musician. Young, dedicated, eager to please. Not to mention he recorded the lp, triple tracked most or all of his parts, and went through rehearsals before the tour. There’s no way a person in that situation would have not been fully 100% prepared. I’m sure for Bob’s sake, his facts are true. So far from reading his book, this is the only fact in question.
There is absolutely no doubt that Bob had a massive part in writing and arranging those songs not only that he wrote 99% of the lyrics.
I agree and if Sharon had her way there REALLY wouldnt have been ......The question is why did Bob and Randy work with Osbourne at all.....
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

I could understand the prompting on stage to when the lead comes in and when versus start, stop etc. The Newcastle gig 17th September i went to this gig. I didn't see Bob giving Randy any help in any way and the gig was a really good, tight playing and a great atmosphere. Unless it was the later Newcastle gig on the 17th October a bootleg of that gig is the wrongly named 'Blizzard on first stage' Glasgow gig. A good sounding boot and another good gig from everyone i know who went to this show. Remember by the time this Newcastle gig came around Randy had done various rehearsals 2 warm up gigs and 22 gigs under his belt. I think he would of very much of had the set nailed. Being a teacher i'm sure he'd pick things up quickly especially with his own playing.

September 12th - Apollo Theatre, Glasgow, Scotland
September 13th - Caird Hall, Dundee, Scotland
September 15th - Odeon Theatre, Edinburgh, Scotland
September 17th - City Hall, Newcastle, England
September 18th - St. Georges Hall, Bradford, England
September 20th - Hammersmith Odeon, London, England
September 23rd - Apollo Theatre, Manchester, England
September 24th - Coventry Theatre, Coventry, England
September 26th - Royal Court, Liverpool, England
September 28th - Odeon Theatre, Birmingham, England
September 29th - De Montfort Hall, Leicester, England
October 1st - New Theatre, Oxford, England
October 2nd - Gaumont Theatre, Southampton, England
October 3rd - Kings Hall, Stoke, England
October 5th - Assembly Rooms, Derby, England
October 6th - King George's Hall, Blackburn Lancashire, England
October 7th - City Hall, Sheffield, England
October 9th - Sophia Gardens, Cardiff, Wales
October 10th - Taunton Odeon, Taunton, England
October 11th - Wessex Hall Poole Art Centre, Poole, England
October 13th - Malvern Winter Gardens, Great Malvern, England
October 16th - Wolverhampton, England
October 17th - Mayfair Theatre, Newcastle, England
October 18th - City Hall, Hull, England
October 20th - Colston Hall, Bristol, England
October 21st - Odeon Theatre, Canterbury, England
October 22nd - Odeon Theatre, Chelmsford, England
October 23rd - Gaumont Hall, Ipswich, England
October 26th - Hammersmith Odeon, London, England
October 28th - Mayfair Theatre, Sunderland, England
October 29th - Town Hall, Middlesbrough, England
October 31st - Dome Theatre, Brighton, England
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

For the record when does Bob mention this in the book as i cannot remember reading this the first time i read the book ?? what page is this on ??.
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:For the record when does Bob mention this in the book as i cannot remember reading this the first time i read the book ?? what page is this on ??.

SHaun if you go to the Blizzard section and basically when they start playing live together its around the photos of the band live .

Mate how many gigs did Bob Randy Lee and Ozzy play together ( ones that werent cancelled )?

GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

All the ones mentioned above plus the 2 warm up gigs in Cromer and Blackpool. 34 gigs in total....
sollus

Post by sollus »

I'm not calling the bod d liar, do not want to cause a fight in the forum, but much of what he said does not hit the same things that the ozzy says.

As Toni Iommi said: if I do not give a song idea in rehearsals nothing comes out ... 60% of the songs are randy riffs. That way I do not see how randy could not play their own ideas ...

Yes, I'm a guitarist and songwriter.
rhoads56
Cool Member

Post by rhoads56 »

Randy was human. We all have mental blanks, or moments that we doubt ourselves, or over think what we are doing, or are distracted by tiny things. It's life.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

rhoads56 wrote:Randy was human.
Not sure I've heard that before, where'd you hear it, or did you read it somewhere? :wink:
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

i love that dry sense of humor paul!! lmao!!!!
RRfan4eveRR

Post by RRfan4eveRR »

Though I haven't read the book yet, I'm sure that Randy perhaps looked to Bob on occasion for guidance of there were any last minute changes that he was fearful of screwing up (being a perfectionist as he was) however, as others have said-Randy was indeed his own solid musician. I'm of the opinion that Bob (and to an extent, Ozzy) influenced Randy 's professional demeanor onstage and off.

And I hadn't heard anyone confirm that Randy was human before, I suspect we have found our next epic debate!!
I don't have a short attention span I
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

When i went back to the book to check what Bob said about the above. I noticed he wasn't 100% on how many dates he played on the UK tour. He's missing a couple of dates from what he has quoted 'For Facts Dates' you can correct it as a typo in the revised edition its 32 gigs for the UK tour. Surprised he would make such an error if he kept diaries.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

C'mon Shaun, next you're going to suggest that Bob was human, too? :lol: