Randy needing help on stage?

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

clashradio
Cool Member

Re: Randy needing help on stage?

Post by clashradio »

I guess hansolo, from my point of view I would be a little disapointed if Randy did need cues. We want our hero to be fault free, but we know he's human. I don't want him to be an angel or any of that bs, just a master musician.
shred1
Madman

Post by shred1 »

Randy botches the arrangement to Paranoid from the Palladium footage. He was human.
Not sure why this is such a big deal. Human interaction (like cues and nods) is part and parcel of playing live music with others.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

shred1 wrote:Randy botches the arrangement to Paranoid from the Palladium footage.
Tommy was quoted as saying they train-wrecked the Sabbath songs a lot 'cause they really hated playing them... certainly it was unintentional, but it happened.
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

I could see screwing up a song because you aren't into it. I would imagine just not caring about it all that much, about the song. Randy was human but obviously important to us all. I saying it doesn't diminish anything if he looked for cues or didn't look for cues. He was the lead instrumentalist! That includes jumping from lead to rhythm which can be tricky. :D
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

Imagine being on a stage in the early 80's. It's loud, you can hear a beat but which beat? Looking to the bass player you could probably tell the first beat to a measure. You can also follow his hands. Did Randy need it or just use it to his advantage? We may never know, next time on "In search of..."
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

clashradio wrote:I guess hansolo, from my point of view I would be a little disapointed if Randy did need cues. We want our hero to be fault free, but we know he's human. I don't want him to be an angel or any of that bs, just a master musician.
Have you ever listened in depth for example on headphones to Blizzard and Diary? there are " mistakes" in Randy`s playing .

One such is the solo to " Believer" the left and right takes dont match on one of the runs he does. He ends the scale in one ear and the other side ends the run/scale slightly differently.

He recorded so many overdubs i believe he didnt remember all of the phrasings of all the takes he recorded. Nothing wrong with that. Even Ozzy and Bob were concerned by how many overdubs Randy was doing. I just think he didnt keep track of all of them.

There are quite a few things i have noticed like the intro to S.A.T.O listen very carefully on headphones to the steel stringed acoustic it sounds out slightly just before he pick slides into the main riff.

Another place is the piano section of Revelation. The nylon string acoustic he using sounds slightly out with the piano .

I could mention a few more. But its not important he recorded loads of guitar parts. Hes still my idol and always will be.
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

hansolo wrote:Imagine being on a stage in the early 80's. It's loud, you can hear a beat but which beat? Looking to the bass player you could probably tell the first beat to a measure. You can also follow his hands. Did Randy need it or just use it to his advantage? We may never know, next time on "In search of..."
Hes stood what 2 metres in front of those Marshall stacks on the uk Blizzard tour. I bet he couldnt hear shit from the monitors. Thats probably why too........
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.