Benson and Hedges no Malboro today.

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

mojopin70
Mass Poster

Benson and Hedges no Malboro today.

Post by mojopin70 »

I havent seen this photo before its cool, and i can see a packet of Benson and Hedges ciggies and no Malboros .

Its funny there is a vintage packet of 20 on ebay unopened in an ash tray for 20 quid! lol

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Benson-And-He ... 0590856999

Bob says in his book that Randy was smoking from the age of 9!?
Attachments
9.jpg
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
Stiltzkin

Re: Benson and Hedges no Malboro today.

Post by Stiltzkin »

mojopin70 wrote:Bob says in his book that Randy was smoking from the age of 9!?
I've heard that too. don't temember if it was 9 or younger though.
there was an interview with Bob in a swedish guitarmag(or was it just a general rock mag?)
where Bob told how he and Ozzy used to go out running and sometimes they would take Randy
along but he would be out of breath in no time :shock:
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

Stiltzkin wrote:
mojopin70 wrote:Bob says in his book that Randy was smoking from the age of 9!?
I've heard that too. don't temember if it was 9 or younger though.
there was an interview with Bob in a swedish guitarmag(or was it just a general rock mag?)
where Bob told how he and Ozzy used to go out running and sometimes they would take Randy
along but he would be out of breath in no time :shock:

Yes Bob mentions that in his book, if you have a look at this short vid you can see the place where they used to go Jogging and the house where they wrote the albums.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sb3B9ZSE ... e=youtu.be
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

Post by CanuckRhoadsFan »

It's actually kinda sad, if you ask me. Randy chain-smoked, and it was obviously affecting his health. Makes you wonder if this would have been a serious issue had he lived. Sadly, I think it would have. Hopefully he would have quit. I have no problem with anyone smoking, it's a personal choice of course, but when it's someone whose work you admire, it's sad. :(
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

I thought Randy was a Winston man? This is England and he probably couldn't get his brand or it may have been more expensive. I have known quite a few very skinny people who are chain smokers. It kills the appetite. Who was cooking at the Rhoads house? Big Dee? And Randy drank diet coke? What was the substitute back then? Saccharine? It had to be up to 1979. NutraSweet wasn't invented (still bad for you) until the mid eighties.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

CanuckRhoadsFan wrote:It's actually kinda sad, if you ask me. Randy chain-smoked, and it was obviously affecting his health. Makes you wonder if this would have been a serious issue had he lived. Sadly, I think it would have. Hopefully he would have quit. I have no problem with anyone smoking, it's a personal choice of course, but when it's someone whose work you admire, it's sad. :(
As a former smoker, I can say that smoking is stupid, pointless and there is absolutely NO reason to do it. But, like you say, it's a personal choice.

It's funny that he's got that angelic image, because smoking at a young age is simply a form of rebellion against authority. Did his mom smoke? I only ask, because it's nearly impossible to hide a smoking habit, cigarettes stink, and smokers always smell like cigarettes.
randy will never die
Mass Poster

Post by randy will never die »

hansolo wrote:I thought Randy was a Winston man? This is England and he probably couldn't get his brand or it may have been more expensive. I have known quite a few very skinny people who are chain smokers. It kills the appetite. Who was cooking at the Rhoads house? Big Dee? And Randy drank diet coke? What was the substitute back then? Saccharine? It had to be up to 1979. NutraSweet wasn't invented (still bad for you) until the mid eighties.

Are you talking about pop ?

I was not around for the 70s and 80s so
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

its still around,now its just called Aspartame,a dangerous product.Do a google of it and you ll get the picture.A certain donald rumsfeld was behind this dangerous product getting approved in the most dubious manner.
How to tell a real RR signature: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=726&start=120
rokket
Madman

Post by rokket »

The autopsy did show signs of emphysematous changes in his lungs, so I'm not surprised he was out of breath quickly going for a jog.
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

hansolo wrote:I thought Randy was a Winston man? This is England and he probably couldn't get his brand or it may have been more expensive. I have known quite a few very skinny people who are chain smokers. It kills the appetite. Who was cooking at the Rhoads house? Big Dee? And Randy drank diet coke? What was the substitute back then? Saccharine? It had to be up to 1979. NutraSweet wasn't invented (still bad for you) until the mid eighties.

I thought he was a Malboro man! Benson and Hedges are British ciggies i used to smoke them years ago...he probably couldnt get his normal ones....

mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

rokket wrote:The autopsy did show signs of emphysematous changes in his lungs, so I'm not surprised he was out of breath quickly going for a jog.

Bob said he was always worried about Randy because he got out of breath easily, in the report goes as far as saying he had Mild Emphysema. Ozzy once said he couldve won the smoking Olympics.

I just wonder how he started up at 9 years old and what his mom thought/ said?

Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

mojopin70 wrote:I just wonder how he started up at 9 years old and what his mom thought/ said?
more importantly...did she do anything about it?
rokket
Madman

Post by rokket »

Stiltzkin wrote:
mojopin70 wrote:I just wonder how he started up at 9 years old and what his mom thought/ said?
more importantly...did she do anything about it?
Bit hard for any parents to do anything about it......kids will find a way, a time and a place if they really want to do something........only option would be to permanently ground a kid or follow them everywhere they go.....
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

C'mon. We don't know Randy's American brand of smokes? I thought we had some superfans here? :mrgreen: Plus, I wondered how many meals he got a day and who did the cooking? Could their cooking starve a flower? I could see Randy drinking caffeine and smoking out of necessity rather than achieving gaunt look. It doesn't make it true, just a theory.
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

I thought it was pretty well known he was generally a Malboro man ive seen him with those and i think ive seen other people comment on it ,but for sure in the Uk he was on this day a Benson and Hedges man lol