Is this Randy`s white Marshall head at the 1983 US Festival?

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

mojopin70
Mass Poster

Is this Randy`s white Marshall head at the 1983 US Festival?

Post by mojopin70 »

I spotted what appears to be Randy`s white Marshall head at 0.30 seconds just as Jake and Ozzy are stood behind the back line before the encore...

update: i can also see what appears to be his white jackson? just to the left side of the marshall head?

I guess some of his stuff was still travelling with the band ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i84UI4ZV8WA
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Re: Is this Randy`s white Marshall head at the 1983 US Festi

Post by Shockwave »

Na i dont think, the inputs are the black colored ones, Randy's had the nickel finish. The Marshall logo is different also.

There is a Jackson guitar behind the charvel but you can only see the neck at all times, the charvels white body is blocking most of the body of the Jackson. That Jackson is most likely black from the little we can see of it.
BowTie29
Cool Member

Post by BowTie29 »

It looks like it is a 2 input JMP that is retrofitted in Randy style, I think Randy did have black inputs, the reissue does.
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

Very good eye! I was gonna say there were a lot of bands there it could be someone else's but it's Ozzy/Jake's equipment on wheels. Jake's Charvel guitar is there. There is pics with Jake and a black Jackson (missing a knob). Once again, what is the deal Grover Jackson? He said Randy when died and he had made the Concorde, the black one and had made a white one (which ended up sold at the NAMM show) and he put it away because of respect for Randy. Again, I believe he said he only worked on those 3 until the 1984 NAMM show. Well here is one, unless it is Randy's (I don't know?) and I saw Vinnie Vincent on stage with Kiss in 1983 with a pink RR Jackson. I have no beef with Grover, if he sold guitars from the RR design so what? If Randy was around he might want a piece of the action but the RR design wasn't 100% original. It's sort of a cut up explorer star but with an arc instead of an angle. I think Grover is a great guitar maker but the account of "I didn't make any RR guitars until at least after the '84 NAMM show" CAN'T BE FACTUAL. Any takers?
distortionplus
Cool Member

Post by distortionplus »

There was a photo of Jake just after he got the Ozzy gig in Guitar World or Guitar Player posing with a Black Jackson RR model. I don't recall if this was before BATM was released.
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Post by whoopiecat »

While digging for an actual date as to when Vinnie received his Jackson, I came across a fan site that has an image of him posing in full costume/makeup with a white Rhoads Jackson, described as a "student" model.
http://www.vinnie-vincent.com/guitars/index.html
As discussed elsewhere, the gold Jackson featured prominently on the Creatures of the Night tour, which ran from 12/29/82-6/25/83.
It would return with a new, pink finish for the Lick It Up video and the supporting tour from 10/11/83-3/17/84.
Found this in the article section on the same site...he was "given" six RR Jacksons??!! Looks like 16 Magazine had the scoop! :D
http://www.vinnie-vincent.com/articles/vinnie_02.jpg
I wonder if Jackson approached Vincent, given the press attention he could get being the mystery "Wiz" chosen to replace the SpAceman?
Whenever I put on Blizzard or Diary, what a wonderful, delicate furious beast.... I MISS you, man!
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

Six! I almost filled my drawers! Wow. I can't recall whether it was actually pink or gold, even if he changed guitars during the Kiss show. I heard (and the other article mentions it being different colors but if you had 6, you really wouldn't need to paint them. Vinnie could be pulling legs! How about Tiger Beat? My sister read that magazine. Now if someone could ask Jake where he got it. I doubt Ozzy would know what the question was. I never heard this story, it certainly doesn't gel with what Grover says... Maybe he was cranking them out un-officially? It's like anything, is there a way to know how many are out there? No way. Only Grover knows.