Interview with Andrew Klein regarding his book

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

mojopin70
Mass Poster

Re: Interview with Andrew Klein regarding his book

Post by mojopin70 »

Paul Wolfe wrote:
GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:Well get on the phone and talk to your mate Kelle... He may be able to fill you in with the finer details don't shoot the messenger...
My mate Kelle? No, never spoke to Kelle... Kelly, yeah... Not trying to 'shoot the messenger', just pointing out that 99.9% of the information we have is questionable. Everyone says Randy's family puts the angelic spin on everything, Ozzy and Sharon outright lie & the consensus here is that Kelly G is only out to make a buck off of Randy's name. So 'facts' are a bit murky.
GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:Who's arguing NOT FKN ME MATEY ;-)
Me either... simply pointing out different points of view.
hansolo wrote:FACT: FIRST CHORD OF "GIRL GONE BAD" IS THE "DIARY OF A MADMAN" CHORD.
So, you're saying Ed heard Diary and liked one chord so much that it influenced him to write that song? While technically possible, it's a chord that was around prior to Randy's playing it, so isn't it possible Ed heard it elsewhere?
mojopin70 wrote:I know Bob has mentioned Believer sounded like a twisted version of Purple Haze but i cant help thinking that it reminds me so much of the intro of Runnin with the Devil Vh theres a bit where Randy plays above the top nut just on the intro and the tempo is the same too. However i can also see why it sounds like a mad version of Purple Haze too.....
All depends on your listening history... Bob had never heard Quiet Riot's records at the time, so of course he wouldn't relate anything to them. Keven DuBrow, having been with Randy constantly from, what, 75 to '79? Of course he could hear things that reminded him of Randy's playing in Quiet Riot. The intro to Believer does sound reminiscent to the live intro to Slick Black Cadillac, there are specific noises he uses in both. Randy recycled licks all the time - listen to the Chelmsford Odeon 1980 version of Crazy Train and you'll hear a lick which is also in the Tribute solo to Children of the Grave. With all the lessons Randy gave, he was probably very familiar with Van Halen's first record, I'm sure more than one student wanted to learn Eruption...

Yeah apparently he used to teach Van Halen`s riffs all the time.....he was probably sick to death of teaching Vh songs but they influenced his playing to me his playing showed his classical elements much more than anything else, i read somewhere years ago Randy saying when he listened to his own playing he sounded too much like EVH i think he said the same type of thing to Tommy Aldridge too ....
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Hey Paul i love how you dig up the past issues and use them with past quotes... What i should of said was get on the phone to Frank sorry slip of the tongue...If i'm wrong i'll put me hands up it's what i heard.
Paul Wolfe wrote:
GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:...stick to the facts...
And the actual facts are few and far between, aren't they? Someone said Randy said this to his mom... Randy said this - oh but he was misquoted because Bob said this is actually what happened... Randy's sister said this - yeah, well, he wasn't close to his sister... Kelly Garni said this - sure, but after the gun incident Kelly only want's to ride Randy's coat tails...

So who knows what are "facts"? One person's fact is another's bullshit on this particular subject. A lot of people here won't believe Randy's friends who were actually with him when things happened.

Maybe Randy did see Ed buying Diary. Ed was a big Sabbath fan, so like many, he was probably curious to keep up on what Ozzy was up to. We'll never know, Ed's sure not going to talk about where and when he bought a record in '81.
RRfan4eveRR

Post by RRfan4eveRR »

Elvira wrote:" We just can’t let him go. He was so charismatic. We just can’t get enough of him"...very touching sentence.
And very much the truth regardless of any and all speculation (:
I don't have a short attention span I
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

Elvira wrote:Thank u very much for the link!. " We just can’t let him go. He was so charismatic. We just can’t get enough of him"...very touching sentence.

very disturbing .....i think what he meant was " i want to be Randy Rhoads and if i cant i will fuck everything up until i do "

This man should seek help immediately.....
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:Hey Paul i love how you dig up the past issues and use them with past quotes... What i should of said was get on the phone to Frank sorry slip of the tongue...If i'm wrong i'll put me hands up it's what i heard.
Paul Wolfe wrote:
GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:...stick to the facts...
And the actual facts are few and far between, aren't they? Someone said Randy said this to his mom... Randy said this - oh but he was misquoted because Bob said this is actually what happened... Randy's sister said this - yeah, well, he wasn't close to his sister... Kelly Garni said this - sure, but after the gun incident Kelly only want's to ride Randy's coat tails...

So who knows what are "facts"? One person's fact is another's bullshit on this particular subject. A lot of people here won't believe Randy's friends who were actually with him when things happened.

Maybe Randy did see Ed buying Diary. Ed was a big Sabbath fan, so like many, he was probably curious to keep up on what Ozzy was up to. We'll never know, Ed's sure not going to talk about where and when he bought a record in '81.

I wasn't trying to use anything against you, Shaun, I was simply saying that "facts" are questionable on the subject of Randy since he's not here to verify anything. Some "fans" believe one thing to be absolute fact while other "fans" believe 180 degrees opposite to be absolute fact. You make comments you believe to be 'fact' based on your experience and I do the same, but sometimes our 'facts' are at opposite ends of the spectrum.

Let's just let it lie and find something else to discuss from opposite sides, okay?
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

mojopin70 wrote:
Elvira wrote:Thank u very much for the link!. " We just can’t let him go. He was so charismatic. We just can’t get enough of him"...very touching sentence.

very disturbing .....i think what he meant was " i want to be Randy Rhoads and if i cant i will fuck everything up until i do "

This man should seek help immediately.....
ocd or he s still in the closet....take your pick...seems more of a creep to me.
How to tell a real RR signature: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=726&start=120
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

So, I recently received a copy of this book from a friend. Due to the many comments I've made regarding this book, I thought I'd comment now that I've had time to peruse the thing myself.

It's a very HEAVY book - about the weight of my Strat! It's also very well laid out with beautiful photography. However, having been a journalism major, I looked at the text with a critical eye and found it lacking. The information presented notwithstanding, the actual grammatical errors were disappointing. Had they had a better editorial proof reader, the book would be excellent.

That said, I still take the information with a grain of salt based on the behavior of Mr. Margolis here in the past.

Overall, it's an impressive book and I was thrilled to know I have a friend who would give me such a gift.