Randy Rhoads Tribute Solo at the Correct Pitch....

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

dannyahansen
Mass Poster

Re: Randy Rhoads Tribute Solo at the Correct Pitch....

Post by dannyahansen »

Paul Wolfe wrote:Well, Isodee, since you are the foremost expert, I'll take your word for it on the tuning issue.

And I'd say some musicians in history have had "perfect pitch" and that some musicians of the last 5o years have had good relative pitch. Most just play what they feel sounds good... they noodle until something sounds "right".
Ha paul you are a riot.

I bet that most musicans don't have perfect pitch. I am not even sure if most have reletive pitch. I think I have reletive pitch but sometimes I have a really hard time telling what is being played. I think you are spot on (at least concering guitarists) they just play what they feel and noodle around until it sounds good.

That is what I do. Mostly.
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

Yes, people tuned down to Eb. Supposedly VH had a similar story (bad tuner) but even Sabbath tuned down to C# (open E) in some cases. Randy did remark about the tuning sounding "Heavier" but for a tuner to be a half-step off is pretty crappy tech work. I'm not saying Max Norman was a bad producer at all but it just doesn't seem likely. I'm thinking they knew. If you tune down, strings are more slack and easier to attack. It had to be obvious. It's a conspiracy!
Isodee
Cool Member

Post by Isodee »

Paul Wolfe wrote:Well, Isodee, since you are the foremost expert, I'll take your word for it on the tuning issue.
Why take my word for it? I suggest you take BOB's word for it. Remember, he was there personally and knows it better than you, me or anybody else. Bob himself mentioned this in his new book and told it was a decision they made, not an issue with a broken tuner.

Believe in your own fairytales if you wish. Cheesh.
dannyahansen
Mass Poster

Post by dannyahansen »

hansolo wrote:Yes, people tuned down to Eb. Supposedly VH had a similar story (bad tuner) but even Sabbath tuned down to C# (open E) in some cases. Randy did remark about the tuning sounding "Heavier" but for a tuner to be a half-step off is pretty crappy tech work. I'm not saying Max Norman was a bad producer at all but it just doesn't seem likely. I'm thinking they knew. If you tune down, strings are more slack and easier to attack. It had to be obvious. It's a conspiracy!
Are we talking about most songs on Diary of a Madman? I thought the reason they tuned down was because they liked how it sounded. I thought they (The Ozzy Osbourne band) had said it sounded heavier? I swear that was in an interview some were.
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

They tuned down half step to help Ozzy singing the tracks on Diary of a Madman....not so much to sound " heavier" ..... However Carcass the british metal band tune down to low C deliberately to sound " heavier"
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

dannyahansen wrote:
hansolo wrote:Yes, people tuned down to Eb. Supposedly VH had a similar story (bad tuner) but even Sabbath tuned down to C# (open E) in some cases. Randy did remark about the tuning sounding "Heavier" but for a tuner to be a half-step off is pretty crappy tech work. I'm not saying Max Norman was a bad producer at all but it just doesn't seem likely. I'm thinking they knew. If you tune down, strings are more slack and easier to attack. It had to be obvious. It's a conspiracy!
Are we talking about most songs on Diary of a Madman? I thought the reason they tuned down was because they liked how it sounded. I thought they (The Ozzy Osbourne band) had said it sounded heavier? I swear that was in an interview some were.

Well Bob said it was to help Ozzy with his vocal range not so much to sound heavier . S.A.T.O was in standard tuning though......
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.