Any mention ever of why Randy asked for Rudy and not Kelly?

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Shockwave
Mass Poster

Any mention ever of why Randy asked for Rudy and not Kelly?

Post by Shockwave »

As far as i know of my history of Quiet Riot, Kelly was in the band until 1978 and recorded both Quiet Riot I & II. I am not sure how long Randy knew Rudy before he joined Quiet Riot in 78/79 but wouldn't it have made sense for Randy to mention Kelly's name instead of Rudy to Ozzy for bass player when Bob got the boot? It's widely known and excepted that Rudy isnt the best bass player out there( average if anything )

Never thought of it before tonight for some reason...
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Re: Any mention ever of why Randy asked for Rudy and not Kel

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

I think after Kelly G and Randy had that fight and Kelly shot his gun at him. The friendship was very much over, even though Kelly met up with Randy at the Ozzy gig in 1981 i still don't think they'd rekindled the old friendship. Another one for the Kelly G book owners. Did this get a mention in the book ?.
dmnjr
Cool Member

Post by dmnjr »

Put yourself in the shoes of a homesick 24 year old. You just played a hometown reunion with your old band a few months prior and your new boss asks about any bass players you might be aware of. Rudy has a great stage presence and is quite competent on bass.
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

dmnjr wrote:Rudy has a great stage presence and is quite competent on bass.
Exactly. Rudy was much more a professional musician than Kelly ever was. Also at that time Kelly had decided to step out the music business when leaving QR. And concidering Kelly's personal issues (alchohol, not that stable etc) at that time, I think Randy could easily forsee that Ozzy with Kelly would lead to problems very quick. To me it's obvious he choosed for Rudy for that moment, Rudy was up and ready for the gig much more than Kelly.
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

The Flying Dutchman wrote:
dmnjr wrote:Rudy has a great stage presence and is quite competent on bass.
Exactly. Rudy was much more a professional musician than Kelly ever was. Also at that time Kelly had decided to step out the music business when leaving QR. And concidering Kelly's personal issues (alchohol, not that stable etc) at that time, I think Randy could easily forsee that Ozzy with Kelly would lead to problems very quick. To me it's obvious he choosed for Rudy for that moment, Rudy was up and ready for the gig much more than Kelly.
That's my thinking on this. I'd say that Randy knew Kelly had moved on and Rudy was still living the music life... not to mention that Kelly had moved to Vegas by this time I believe and Randy may not have known how to get in touch with him.

I'll look back through the book and see what I can find.
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

I think that night of the fight Randy realized that Kelly wasn't into music as music as he was. Kelly also showed Randy how stupid he could be. That tends to make people move away from you. I think it became known when Rudy joined that it was an upgrade. The band sounded more professional. I'm thinking Randy never considered Kelly because I think he knew Kelly's heart wasn't in it.
RRforeveRR

Post by RRforeveRR »

Didn't ozzy want to punch Kelly when he met him? Yeah, Randy had to have known there was no chance in hell that would have worked out at all.
Dangling Carrot

Post by Dangling Carrot »

Rudy was a much better player and person. If you know them personally this would never be a question. I don't think KG could fill Bob Daisleys shoes.
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

Post by CanuckRhoadsFan »

Dangling Carrot wrote:Rudy was a much better player and person. If you know them personally this would never be a question. I don't think KG could fill Bob Daisleys shoes.
You know them personally?

And I don't believe that KG could fill Rudy, Bob, or anyone else's shoes for a minute. Though I think KG has been misunderstood in many instances, there's something about the guy that doesn't scream "hey, trust me!". For better or worse, dude comes across as sketchy at times. I don't know him personally, but I've always gotten this vibe from everything I've seen him in. I don't think he's a bad guy, I just think he's...different.
Last edited by CanuckRhoadsFan on Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

Post by CanuckRhoadsFan »

RRforeveRR wrote:Didn't ozzy want to punch Kelly when he met him? Yeah, Randy had to have known there was no chance in hell that would have worked out at all.
You're right. Plus, Ozzy wouldn't know shit from dish soap anyway. It's not like he was of sound mind half the time anyhow. Were I KG at the time, I would have taken Ozzy's bullshit as the ravings of a halfwit anyway.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

This was mentioned back in 2006...
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=762
shawn
Cool Member

Post by shawn »

CanuckRhoadsFan wrote:
You're right. Plus, Ozzy wouldn't know shit from dish soap anyway. It's not like he was of sound mind half the time anyhow. Were I KG at the time, I would have taken Ozzy's bullshit as the ravings of a halfwit anyway.
Cheers for that a good chuckle, probably the truth as well.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Dangling Carrot wrote:Rudy was a much better player and person. If you know them personally this would never be a question. I don't think KG could fill Bob Daisleys shoes.
I know Kelly personally, and he's a pretty good bass player. What does knowing them personally have to do with the question?

As I said on this subject back in September of 2006:
Paul Wolfe wrote:The thing with Kelly Garni is that is is SO easy to just ask him when you have a question. All you need to do is go to http://www.kellygarni.com to find his email address. He is more than helpful with any Randy questions.
Of course, today it'd be simpler to just get on Facebook and ask him...
Sepheratta
Cool Member

Post by Sepheratta »

Shockwave wrote:As far as i know of my history of Quiet Riot, Kelly was in the band until 1978 and recorded both Quiet Riot I & II. I am not sure how long Randy knew Rudy before he joined Quiet Riot in 78/79 but wouldn't it have made sense for Randy to mention Kelly's name instead of Rudy to Ozzy for bass player when Bob got the boot? It's widely known and excepted that Rudy isnt the best bass player out there( average if anything )

Never thought of it before tonight for some reason...

For one, Kelly and Randy got in that serious fight I dont think Randy would want to fight with him anymore and being together constantly could lead to friction in the band

Second, Kelly quit the music business and became and EMS assistant I do believe. And then I believe he pursued photography.

Third, Rudy had more of a name and more experience. He also fit the role very well on and off stage. Rudy I think would prolly also be less likely to cause contention with Randy and especially Ozzy
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Sepheratta wrote:Third, Rudy had more of a name and more experience.
Actually, at that point Rudy really had no more experience than Randy did when he joined Ozzy. Rudy had played in Top 40 cover bands and Quiet Riot on the strip.

People read too much into this. When Randy left Quiet Riot, Rudy was his bass player and his friend. Kelly had dropped out of the music scene and wanted to pursue other things.

Ozzy needed a bass player and Randy recommended his buddy. Remember, by this point Randy had played with 3 guys - Kelly, Rudy and Bob - Bob was fired, Kelly quit, Rudy was the obvious choice as the only guy Randy had experience with. Ozzy gave him an audition along with many other guys and liked the chemistry between Randy and Rudy. Pretty simple, really.