Any mention ever of why Randy asked for Rudy and not Kelly?

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

fortress
Madman

Re: Any mention ever of why Randy asked for Rudy and not Kel

Post by fortress »

Paul Wolfe wrote:
Sepheratta wrote:Third, Rudy had more of a name and more experience.
Actually, at that point Rudy really had no more experience than Randy did when he joined Ozzy. Rudy had played in Top 40 cover bands and Quiet Riot on the strip.

People read too much into this. When Randy left Quiet Riot, Rudy was his bass player and his friend. Kelly had dropped out of the music scene and wanted to pursue other things.

Ozzy needed a bass player and Randy recommended his buddy. Remember, by this point Randy had played with 3 guys - Kelly, Rudy and Bob - Bob was fired, Kelly quit, Rudy was the obvious choice as the only guy Randy had experience with. Ozzy gave him an audition along with many other guys and liked the chemistry between Randy and Rudy. Pretty simple, really.

amen
DMRX
Mass Poster

Post by DMRX »

We'll its been well documented that. KG had it w the music biz and got out for those reasons.Rudy was world class and a showman too.He was closer to Ozzys age at least 5 years older thann Randy.He was at the time playing w the band angel who wore all white and had a image based existence..as QR had become..and I must point out that Sharon was very concernned about..as its been mentioned ..Rudy. would wear a tutu for the job theoreticly .KG has stated he aready cut his hair by then..but imho Rudy is just all aaround better musicianand performer.he's. Still playing 100s of shows a year nnow in his 60s. Rudy also taught at muscionia and I haven't heard it said much but I am to believe he quit QR before Randy ..I dunno I haven't been online in a few weeks and am just glad to tal about anything RR related
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

Post by CanuckRhoadsFan »

I thought it was interesting in Bob's book how he mentioned that Sharon said that they wanted Bob back to write because Rudy was not a writer in the least! I think Rudy's talented, for sure, but Bob edges him out as a better all-around musician, IMO.