' The Grail ' contents...

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

Re: ' The Grail ' contents...

Post by CanuckRhoadsFan »

While I'm interested in hearing the contents of the recordings, I'm surprised they're being called "The Holy Grail". "Grail" denotes something that is holy, priceless, and an object of awe for true believers. While I love the music from this era as much as the next fan, it's not the end of the world if I don't hear this stuff. I guess even though I'm a fan, I don't view this stuff as "The Holy Grail". Frankly, the amount of time and attention given to discussing and fussing over these recordings just increases the chances we'll never hear them. Much as I think Bob's swell, and regardless of how much I like his book (it's great), this probably just makes him want to hold on tighter to the tapes and not let them go, as they are perceived to be of major value. Truth is, it's just a small cross section of us fans that are interested in this stuff. And I seriously doubt the O's are going to pay Bob what he (and we) think they're worth. Plus, as people have mentioned, they'd be edited from here to Sunday.

Bob is in an enviable position to have been part of the recordings, and actually OWN the recordings, but alternately, he's also in a bad position, because fans are aware of them now, and are complaining that they should be released. He stuck between a proverbial rock and a hard place. I too hope these will see the light of day, but I seriously, seriously doubt it, and I'm fine with it if we don't.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

CanuckRhoadsFan wrote:While I'm interested in hearing the contents of the recordings, I'm surprised they're being called "The Holy Grail". "Grail" denotes something that is holy, priceless, and an object of awe for true believers. While I love the music from this era as much as the next fan, it's not the end of the world if I don't hear this stuff.
Thank you. I completely agree.
Sky
Madman

Post by Sky »

CanuckRhoadsFan wrote:While I'm interested in hearing the contents of the recordings, I'm surprised they're being called "The Holy Grail". "Grail" denotes something that is holy, priceless, and an object of awe for true believers. While I love the music from this era as much as the next fan, it's not the end of the world if I don't hear this stuff. I guess even though I'm a fan, I don't view this stuff as "The Holy Grail". Frankly, the amount of time and attention given to discussing and fussing over these recordings just increases the chances we'll never hear them. Much as I think Bob's swell, and regardless of how much I like his book (it's great), this probably just makes him want to hold on tighter to the tapes and not let them go, as they are perceived to be of major value. Truth is, it's just a small cross section of us fans that are interested in this stuff. And I seriously doubt the O's are going to pay Bob what he (and we) think they're worth. Plus, as people have mentioned, they'd be edited from here to Sunday.

Bob is in an enviable position to have been part of the recordings, and actually OWN the recordings, but alternately, he's also in a bad position, because fans are aware of them now, and are complaining that they should be released. He stuck between a proverbial rock and a hard place. I too hope these will see the light of day, but I seriously, seriously doubt it, and I'm fine with it if we don't.
It's just a saying that's been used often... the holy grail of Marshall amps, the '59 Les Paul Standard - the holy grail of guitars etc. nothing to do with Arthurian legends and nothing to do with being priceless (although it could be argued that the Les Paul is heading that way).
The tapes are obviously unique and would be of great interest to a limited number of people, no one is thinking about 'value' in monetary terms which is why, in terms of money, Bob asked for a 2% royalty on sales of a product that may or may not have sold well.
To me, the value of the tapes has more to do with the truth that they reveal about the creation of BOO and Diary, musicians would probably find educational value in them, and those who love Randy would probably value being able to listen to him experimenting with music and having fun.
No one would like to release the tapes more than Bob and it would be a mistake to think that he isn't doing anything about them.
"Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't goin' away." - Elvis Presley
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Paul Wolfe wrote:
CanuckRhoadsFan wrote:While I'm interested in hearing the contents of the recordings, I'm surprised they're being called "The Holy Grail". "Grail" denotes something that is holy, priceless, and an object of awe for true believers. While I love the music from this era as much as the next fan, it's not the end of the world if I don't hear this stuff.
Thank you. I completely agree.
"The Holy Grail" to me would be Randy 'at his best' in a 1981 spring/summer pro-shot show!
(The Capitol Theatre in Passaic, New Jersey on April 24th 1981 was filmed, maybe one day it.... :) )
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
RRforeveRR

Post by RRforeveRR »

Seriously, thank you for sharing your thoughts Canuck- as usual, your words are eloquent and your logic is sound. And it saves me from writing something similiar out on a small smart phone cus I'm trying to be discreet about my UR habits when I should be working.
RRforeveRR

Post by RRforeveRR »

For as long as it took to load the page, I'm shocked it only posted twice. Double post- my bad.
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

For some of us, we just want to hear Randy again. For me, I want to hear whatever you want to call those tapes and I would find that more interesting than a live show. Don't get me wrong the live shows are great! I'd love to see an entire or partial show come out on DVD but I find the writing process fascinating. I'm sure you would hear some unique moments of Randy's playing. How the band worked, mistakes and the talking. I remember when Tribute/Dee outtakes came out and people were like, "You can hear Randy's voice!" It would be like visiting with old friends.
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

shred1 wrote:
Havent you heard Ozzys version of how the songs were written?? sat at a piano with one finger ......
No, I have never heard that fable. When and where did you see or hear that?

Anyone who cares enough to know how those songs were created.... knows, for the most part, how they were created.
It has been dissected here, to death.

WE KNOW!

I saw it in an interview with Osbourne somewhere and read about it Bob Daisley mentions it in his book ( the one you desperately wanted to be involved with) :wink:

Why is this information so important?
Why try to convince people that really don't care, which means a large part of the population?
Ozzy Osbourne is hardly the first performer to be propped up from behind with a bunch of talent, either.

Who said i was trying to convince people , the facts are all available today for anyone who wishes to know and find out, i didnt go looking for them the interesting part to me is that i just came across them.

Im discovering all sorts of new things that i never knew about Ozzy Osbourne the product , i call it a product now because it doesnt have the same impact on me as when i was 13 and very green.

Im not an idiot and i dont like being fed bullshit as a fan of music by some untouchable media machine that has been spinning crap for far too long....
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
RRforeveRR

Post by RRforeveRR »

I can relate to your chagrin mojo- I spent the entirety of my childhood and teens loving Ozzy also- only to discover that he wasn't the madman he was marketed as. And also a dickface that punched our beloved Randy Rhoads in the chops. Whose wife forever soiled television as we know it with a bullshit reality series. That's probably enough. I relate but I've also come full circle with it- Ozzy is a mere mortal like the rest of us, only more famous than we will ever be most likely. Fuck it and move on- live and let live, yanno?
RRforeveRR

Post by RRforeveRR »

Oh, I also remember countless interviews where Ozzy had reiterated the one finger on a piano bit- I do believe the 1st time I had heard it was on "Don't Blame Me" which I purchased for RR bits lol so yeahShred, Ozzy himself said that.
shred1
Madman

Post by shred1 »

Bump. Anyone who cares enough to know how those songs were created.... knows, for the most part, how they were created.
It has been dissected here, to death.
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

how were bobs tapes created and all the songs? :/
Isodee
Cool Member

Post by Isodee »

Where did these BATM demos come from?

Very cool stuff but not something I'd listen every day.

PS. That's Ozzy and a finger. :lol:
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

RRforeveRR wrote:Oh, I also remember countless interviews where Ozzy had reiterated the one finger on a piano bit- I do believe the 1st time I had heard it was on "Don't Blame Me" which I purchased for RR bits lol so yeahShred, Ozzy himself said that.

Dont Blame Me thats it thanks for that RRforever i had that on video when it came out i was 18 ,,,,so i believed Ozzy wrote all the lyrics and i clearly remember thinking , god he writes really good, deep, meaningful lyrics for someone who acts the way he does....

The funny thing is i couldnt find any evidence that he HADNT written the lyrics / music either so it was basically on the very small things he said in interviews and videos...which back in 1992 was limited and not always clear....to me anyway...
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

But surely you knew he didn't write the guitar, bass or drums? When I was young I didn't really think about the individual roles of guitar or bass until after Randy died. Then I thought about it with every album that came out after. There is plenty of evidence out there now of Ozzy's writing capabilities and his limitations. I still don't know why they would be afraid any negative repercussions. Ozzy hasn't come out with anything good in decades. The new Sabbath included. Maybe they are waiting for when he is washed up, tickets stop selling or he dies in the process.