' The Grail ' contents...

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

hansolo
Mass Poster

Re: ' The Grail ' contents...

Post by hansolo »

I really should stop coming here. I'm sure it will be good thing for everyone. You have to admit that I can sure sure stir up a good hate. Maybe I should of been a politician. It's a bit like Ozzy and his madness... To evoke a reaction. I did particularly like the "He get's on my tit's" comment. :oops: I guess it cracks me up that anyone takes it (one man's opinion or rant) all that serious. Maybe that is what I am seeking. Some sort of reaction. Stop taking me serious.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

hansolo wrote:I guess it cracks me up that anyone takes it (one man's opinion or rant) all that serious. Maybe that is what I am seeking. Some sort of reaction. Stop taking me serious.
It's odd that you say that, because you are the one who seems to get bent when someone makes a comment in disagreement with you, which then escalates. You have a tendency to fly off and make rude comments which piss people off. It's not a case of taking things seriously, it's a case of taking offense at offensive statements.

Stop making comments to get a reaction and make comments to add to the discussion and I don't think anyone would have an issue with your being here.
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

hansolo wrote:I really should stop coming here. I'm sure it will be good thing for everyone. You have to admit that I can sure sure stir up a good hate. Maybe I should of been a politician. It's a bit like Ozzy and his madness... To evoke a reaction. I did particularly like the "He get's on my tit's" comment. :oops: I guess it cracks me up that anyone takes it (one man's opinion or rant) all that serious. Maybe that is what I am seeking. Some sort of reaction. Stop taking me serious.

Somone getting on my tits isnt that serious. Its like someone doing a smelly fart. Once its gone its gone.
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

Paul Wolfe wrote:
hansolo wrote:I guess it cracks me up that anyone takes it (one man's opinion or rant) all that serious. Maybe that is what I am seeking. Some sort of reaction. Stop taking me serious.
It's odd that you say that, because you are the one who seems to get bent when someone makes a comment in disagreement with you, which then escalates. You have a tendency to fly off and make rude comments which piss people off. It's not a case of taking things seriously, it's a case of taking offense at offensive statements.

Stop making comments to get a reaction and make comments to add to the discussion and I don't think anyone would have an issue with your being here.
Well put and fair i think....
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
RRfan4eveRR

Post by RRfan4eveRR »

hansolo wrote:I really should stop coming here. I'm sure it will be good thing for everyone. You have to admit that I can sure sure stir up a good hate. Maybe I should of been a politician. It's a bit like Ozzy and his madness... To evoke a reaction. I did particularly like the "He get's on my tit's" comment. :oops: I guess it cracks me up that anyone takes it (one man's opinion or rant) all that serious. Maybe that is what I am seeking. Some sort of reaction. Stop taking me serious.
Ahhh, you'd better not! Once I began to understand your dry humor I didn't become l offended by your posts anymore. We once butted heads in the accident thread and then I saw that I wasn't reading you in the proper context, that you weren't serious- that your post was facetious in nature, I actually enjoyed your input. This board would suck if everyone crawled up each other's assholes any more than it already does.

It can be hard to read the nature of what someone is really saying in one's posts, whether it's tongue in cheek or dead serious, so myself, I try to take everything said with a grain of salt, there really isn't any point to talking shit online. I get a kick out of threats especially, what the fuck does that prove? Especially when the person talking shit had an opposing, pacifist view not that long ago in another thread. But it's not a matter of who am I to judge, I just don't care.

Say what you mean, and mean what you say can be as terrific motto to live by in the real world, but on the internet, just about anything goes. I happen to enjoy your views for the most part. My tits notwithstanding. =)
I don't have a short attention span I
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Post by orion_damage »

Sky wrote:
I seen this in an Andrew Klein interview some interested stuff here...
Thanks for posting that Shaun but Klein heard snippets of the tapes on one occasion and where his memory has failed, he's made things up... so I've stuck my oar in..:-)
There is a 4 song demo (Crazy Train, Mr. Crowley, Goodbye to Romance, Looking at you, looking at me), recorded with another drummer named Dixie Lee. They hadn't yet met Lee K. Those versions are so cool.

That demo was recorded at a studio in Birmingham before they found Lee. They didn't do 'Crowley' on the studio demo, the fourth song was 'I Don't Know'.
For Crazy Train, instead of starting with the bass and drums intro, the first thing you hear is Ozzy's voice. He shouts, "All aboard you fucking punks" - and then Randy slides in with the main riff. Fucking great.
No, on the Birmingham studio demo Ozzy doesn't say that. There's no recording of Ozzy saying that. Bob has a tape of a rehearsal/writing session from Monmouth where Ozzy starts 'CT' with, "All abooaard, ya cunts!"
Goodbye to Romance is more acoustic oriented, less electric guitar. I personally like the demo version better than what's on BOO.
It's actually very similar to the final recording, except for the tempo.
On the first day of recording at Ridge, they were doing a mic test. Max asked the band to jam something. They jammed the blues. It was slow and moody like 'Riders on the Storm' (Doors). Ozzy was singing improv. Randy rips to no end. Its about 15 minutes long. As a joke they named it, "Wally Bodger and the Fabulous Flaps."
It wasn't the 'blues', it was a chord progression that Bob came up with that Randy followed. It had a '60s 'Doors' vibe. The song itself wasn't named anything, they called themselves 'Wally Bodger & the 4 Fabulous Flaps'.
Finally, its loaded with all the writing sessions. You can hear the birth and maturation of every song. Bob recorded EVERYTHING including all the conversations when they weren't playing. All the rehearsals were recorded as well. Lee is singing lead vocals on many songs on the days Ozzy never showed up.
Lee sang lead vocals on some of the songs, I wouldn't say 'many'.
Randy experimenting with his pedal board for the first time trying to get sounds. Ozzy asked him how much it cost and Randy told him "200 quid." Ozzy said, "I don't think it was worth it." Randy said, "Oh, I do." This stuff doesn't exist anywhere but on Bob's tapes.

That was at Clearwell Castle, Randy actually told Ozzy, "It cost eleven hundred pounds..." Can anyone here imagine Randy saying '200 quid'?
Ozzy played a bigger role in the writing than people realize. He was right there working on everything with Bob and Randy. Ozzy made a huge contribution to the arrangement of 'Believer'. The song is nothing like what it started out to be. Ozzy may not have written lyrics, but he made a huge contribution.
Ozzy definitely made a contribution to the arrangement of Believer, when he was there that is, but not 'huge' though. They can all be heard discussing the song on the tapes.
Bob has recordings of the songs from the albums, without the singing. Max gave him copies so that he could take them to his room to write lyrics. However, some of these contain alternative guitar leads that were recorded before the final take. Ozzy instructed Max on day 1 to keep everything Randy records, no matter how many times he does a take. They still have all of it.
No, Bob got out-takes from Max just to hear the band's performance, nothing to do with writing lyrics. Every time that Bob wrote lyrics it was to Ozzy's guide vocal, so that he'd know how to phrase the lines.
There are also songs recorded that never made the records. One of them is super heavy. A precursor to the style of heavy metal music that would soon grow to be popular in the 80s. The funny thing about that one is, Ozzy is singing the lyrics to Steal Away. When they scrapped the song, they saved the lyrics.
Klein is talking about the first writing sessions at Monmouth and most of what he says here is fabrication. He heard the beginning of a song that was never developed into a song. Ozzy sang the words 'Steal Away' and other improvised words that bear no resemblance to the final lyrics of that song. There weren't any lyrics to 'Steal Away' at that stage, other than the title line. Bob wrote the lyrics to that song later at Ridge Farm about Yvonne the barmaid at the Plough Inn.
Don't take this the wrong way but how do you know all of this?
Sky
Madman

Post by Sky »

orion_damage wrote:
Sky wrote:
I seen this in an Andrew Klein interview some interested stuff here...
Thanks for posting that Shaun but Klein heard snippets of the tapes on one occasion and where his memory has failed, he's made things up... so I've stuck my oar in..:-)
There is a 4 song demo (Crazy Train, Mr. Crowley, Goodbye to Romance, Looking at you, looking at me), recorded with another drummer named Dixie Lee. They hadn't yet met Lee K. Those versions are so cool.

That demo was recorded at a studio in Birmingham before they found Lee. They didn't do 'Crowley' on the studio demo, the fourth song was 'I Don't Know'.
For Crazy Train, instead of starting with the bass and drums intro, the first thing you hear is Ozzy's voice. He shouts, "All aboard you fucking punks" - and then Randy slides in with the main riff. Fucking great.
No, on the Birmingham studio demo Ozzy doesn't say that. There's no recording of Ozzy saying that. Bob has a tape of a rehearsal/writing session from Monmouth where Ozzy starts 'CT' with, "All abooaard, ya cunts!"
Goodbye to Romance is more acoustic oriented, less electric guitar. I personally like the demo version better than what's on BOO.
It's actually very similar to the final recording, except for the tempo.
On the first day of recording at Ridge, they were doing a mic test. Max asked the band to jam something. They jammed the blues. It was slow and moody like 'Riders on the Storm' (Doors). Ozzy was singing improv. Randy rips to no end. Its about 15 minutes long. As a joke they named it, "Wally Bodger and the Fabulous Flaps."
It wasn't the 'blues', it was a chord progression that Bob came up with that Randy followed. It had a '60s 'Doors' vibe. The song itself wasn't named anything, they called themselves 'Wally Bodger & the 4 Fabulous Flaps'.
Finally, its loaded with all the writing sessions. You can hear the birth and maturation of every song. Bob recorded EVERYTHING including all the conversations when they weren't playing. All the rehearsals were recorded as well. Lee is singing lead vocals on many songs on the days Ozzy never showed up.
Lee sang lead vocals on some of the songs, I wouldn't say 'many'.
Randy experimenting with his pedal board for the first time trying to get sounds. Ozzy asked him how much it cost and Randy told him "200 quid." Ozzy said, "I don't think it was worth it." Randy said, "Oh, I do." This stuff doesn't exist anywhere but on Bob's tapes.

That was at Clearwell Castle, Randy actually told Ozzy, "It cost eleven hundred pounds..." Can anyone here imagine Randy saying '200 quid'?
Ozzy played a bigger role in the writing than people realize. He was right there working on everything with Bob and Randy. Ozzy made a huge contribution to the arrangement of 'Believer'. The song is nothing like what it started out to be. Ozzy may not have written lyrics, but he made a huge contribution.
Ozzy definitely made a contribution to the arrangement of Believer, when he was there that is, but not 'huge' though. They can all be heard discussing the song on the tapes.
Bob has recordings of the songs from the albums, without the singing. Max gave him copies so that he could take them to his room to write lyrics. However, some of these contain alternative guitar leads that were recorded before the final take. Ozzy instructed Max on day 1 to keep everything Randy records, no matter how many times he does a take. They still have all of it.
No, Bob got out-takes from Max just to hear the band's performance, nothing to do with writing lyrics. Every time that Bob wrote lyrics it was to Ozzy's guide vocal, so that he'd know how to phrase the lines.
There are also songs recorded that never made the records. One of them is super heavy. A precursor to the style of heavy metal music that would soon grow to be popular in the 80s. The funny thing about that one is, Ozzy is singing the lyrics to Steal Away. When they scrapped the song, they saved the lyrics.
Klein is talking about the first writing sessions at Monmouth and most of what he says here is fabrication. He heard the beginning of a song that was never developed into a song. Ozzy sang the words 'Steal Away' and other improvised words that bear no resemblance to the final lyrics of that song. There weren't any lyrics to 'Steal Away' at that stage, other than the title line. Bob wrote the lyrics to that song later at Ridge Farm about Yvonne the barmaid at the Plough Inn.
I wouldn't take a fair question the wrong way :-) I'm an old friend of Bob Daisley's, I edited his book. I've heard the Grail so I know exactly what was played to Klein and what he didn't hear.
"Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't goin' away." - Elvis Presley
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Post by orion_damage »

I wouldn't take a fair question the wrong way :-) I'm an old friend of Bob Daisley's, I edited his book. I've heard the Grail so I know exactly what was played to Klein and what he didn't hear.
I can only image the audio gold that has flown through your ears. :D Thanks for answering my question.
devorerd
Cool Member

Post by devorerd »

Just can't wait till Bob releases it, his book was really well done and if that is any indication, the "Grail" will be something that will be timeless.
Sky
Madman

Post by Sky »

orion_damage wrote:
Don't take this the wrong way but how do you know all of this?[/quote]

[/quote]I wouldn't take a fair question the wrong way :-) I'm an old friend of Bob Daisley's, I edited his book. I've heard the Grail so I know exactly what was played to Klein and what he didn't hear.[/quote]

I can only image the audio gold that has flown through your ears. :D Thanks for answering my question.[/quote]

You're very welcome, and yeah I found it all fascinating. :D
"Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't goin' away." - Elvis Presley
Sky
Madman

Post by Sky »

devorerd wrote:Just can't wait till Bob releases it, his book was really well done and if that is any indication, the "Grail" will be something that will be timeless.
I hope that you get to hear it soon!
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

Me too!!!!sky any idea how hes gonna put this together?as far as packaging?and how much is it going to be?
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Post by orion_damage »

Tito wrote:Me too!!!!sky any idea how hes gonna put this together?as far as packaging?and how much is it going to be?
I thought he couldn't put it out without getting the 'OK' from the Osbournes or are you asking hypothetically?
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

Yes
Sky
Madman

Post by Sky »

Tito wrote:Me too!!!!sky any idea how hes gonna put this together?as far as packaging?and how much is it going to be?
I don't know about that yet Tito. I know that sorting out where and how best to add the background info about where things were recorded, who's on drums before Lee joined etc. is taking longer than expected because there's about 7 hours of material so it's a time-consuming process and Bob's been busy with other projects. As soon as he's happy with how the Grail is structured it'll be handed over to the people who are releasing the package. We'll probably have a better idea of how it's going to be packaged and the price next year.
I personally think that it'll be a case of finding out how many people are interested before a price is fixed because everyone involved wants to keep the price reasonable.