' The Grail ' contents...

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Sky
Madman

Re: ' The Grail ' contents...

Post by Sky »

Isodee wrote:Where did these BATM demos come from?

Very cool stuff but not something I'd listen every day.

PS. That's Ozzy and a finger. :lol:

I couldn't listen to them all the way through, the sound quality is awful.
"Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't goin' away." - Elvis Presley
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Sky wrote:

I managed to get through Rock and Roll Rebel, which I always thought needed a faster tempo and slightly more swing to its groove, but Bark had too many keyboards on it and I've never liked any of the other songs on that record. To me it was like a collection of stuff thrown together just to fulfill a contractual obligation. The live show on this tour was great, but I never cared for that record.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

CanuckRhoadsFan wrote:I think that because there is so little tangible Randy material out there, we want to glom on to and consume every little scrap of Randy ephemera. At the end of the day, though, it always comes back to the music for me. BOO, DOAM, and TRIBUTE, when I feel like listening to this material, is what it's all about. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way.
Having heard a number of Randy's lesson tapes now, I am fascinated by his thought process. It is all about the music, definitely. Y'know how some guys love to tinker with their cars and know everything about how they tick and how to swap parts and tweak things while others (like me) are content to make sure the thing starts and will get them from point A to point B? I see music that way, too. Some are content with the final product as is. Some (again, like me) want to see the inner workings and understand how it was crafted.

Does that make sense?
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

Paul Wolfe wrote:
CanuckRhoadsFan wrote:I think that because there is so little tangible Randy material out there, we want to glom on to and consume every little scrap of Randy ephemera. At the end of the day, though, it always comes back to the music for me. BOO, DOAM, and TRIBUTE, when I feel like listening to this material, is what it's all about. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way.
Having heard a number of Randy's lesson tapes now, I am fascinated by his thought process. It is all about the music, definitely. Y'know how some guys love to tinker with their cars and know everything about how they tick and how to swap parts and tweak things while others (like me) are content to make sure the thing starts and will get them from point A to point B? I see music that way, too. Some are content with the final product as is. Some (again, like me) want to see the inner workings and understand how it was crafted.

Does that make sense?

Yes absolutely and i totally agree .....for me personally because have played / recorded/ written/ and taught music for a long time.....
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
Isodee
Cool Member

Post by Isodee »

Sky wrote:

So that's your way of saying The Grail sounds better? :wink:

Are these demos from Bob? Max, Tommy or Jake???
Sky
Madman

Post by Sky »

Isodee wrote:
Sky wrote:

So that's your way of saying The Grail sounds better? :wink:

Are these demos from Bob? Max, Tommy or Jake???
I guess it's my way of saying exactly that..:-)
I don't know who's responsible for those demos but they aren't from Bob's collection, the 'Grail' sounds way better. 'Don't know if you've heard the 2012 release of Rainbow's album 'Long Live Rock 'n' Roll' but it had bonus material of the title track and 'Kill the King' which were taken from Bob's tapes. Obviously he recorded these before Blizzard was formed but they should give you an idea of the sound quality of his tapes.
"Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't goin' away." - Elvis Presley
Isodee
Cool Member

Post by Isodee »

^I actually posted them to "Bob's book" thread. They sound better on CD than compressed on Youtube.

Bass is a bit high in the mix, I suppose that happens when the bass player himself is in charge. :D
Sky
Madman

Post by Sky »

Isodee wrote:^I actually posted them to "Bob's book" thread. They sound better on CD than compressed on Youtube.

Bass is a bit high in the mix, I suppose that happens when the bass player himself is in charge. :D
That's funny!.:-)
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

Post by CanuckRhoadsFan »

Paul Wolfe wrote:

Does that make sense?
Absolutely it does. I guess since I'm not a musician, I approach it from a different angle. I can understand, though, how musicians would want to dissect Randy's work and understand how he crafted music. It would obviously give some insight into how his mind worked, musically.

I'm still in awe of his skill. I remember reading an interview with Max Norman and him saying that Randy could play stuff flawlessly, over and over, and how his double tracking was second to none. I very much respect how dedicated Randy was to his craft, and it speaks volumes about how key his guitar work was on those first two albums. Even the QR stuff would have been lesser had he not had the skill he did.
evoleye

Post by evoleye »

back in the web-tv days...i exchange emails with a guy i met on an ozzy forum. He supposedly had jammed (drummer) with ozzy and randy during the pre blizzard days and had rehearsal recordings that he wanted to sell. but by his comment that he hoped to use these tapes as his retirement fund, i knew i didnt have the kind of money he was looking for.
Let's go crazzzyyyy!!!!!!!!
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

I remember some guy named John was the drummer? Trying to sell tapes of the pre-blizzard sessions. You can't blame a guy for trying to sell them for a few quid. I guess those tapes never went anywhere? He should have bootlegged. I do like to hear any sessions and the BATM sessions were good. I don't listen to them every week but I like to hear isolated tracks. Even if that means no guitar solo. Jake is an amazing guitarist, obviously if tapes came out of BOO and DOAM sessions, those would be instant gold. I also have to admit I listened to the Jake int. and it was interesting how he viewed guitar playing.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

evoleye wrote:back in the web-tv days...i exchange emails with a guy i met on an ozzy forum. He supposedly had jammed (drummer) with ozzy and randy during the pre blizzard days and had rehearsal recordings that he wanted to sell. but by his comment that he hoped to use these tapes as his retirement fund, i knew i didnt have the kind of money he was looking for.
I think these are the tapes which sold on ebay a few years ago. Not 100% if they sold as the links are disabled.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3043&hilit=Barry+scrannage
For anyone who has read Bob's book this guy gets a mention and is seen in photos at Ridge farm 'Spencer' was his nickname.
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

Question. If one bought a Bob Daisley book called "For facts sake" and resold it on say an ebay type of place, is one liable for copyright infringement for showing pictures and text of said book? A friend received an email from a one bobdaisleyshop Location: Victoria, Australia with 0 feedback since 2010. It read and I quote;
"Please be aware that you have breached Copyright Law by
displaying Bob Daisley's photographs and text from his book 'For Facts
Sake' in your eBay 'advertisement', and this has been reported.
You have also ripped-off one of Bob Daisley's fans with your
over-inflated price of $ for a second-hand book, and you've
prevented Bob from benefitting from the sale of a book that took
several years of hard work to bring to fruition. Since late September
the price of a new copy of 'For Facts Sake' + shipping from the UK to
the US has been $50, so your deceptive advertisement which states
that the book is 'rare' when it's readily available from his site, is
unjustifiable."

It really changes my opinion of Bob from a humble guy to someone more bitter. I believe it was Bob himself. Look at the location. I don't blame him looking out for no. 1 but my friend is just a small time unemployed seller. If he had sold more than one or reprinted, etc., I get it. Nobody wants to hurt Bob's sales but how is it not like Amazon? Buyer beware? Who cares what he sold the book for or if he showed pics? Any opinions? Isn't there a couple of lawyers here?
rhoads56
Cool Member

Post by rhoads56 »

hansolo wrote:Question. If one bought a Bob Daisley book called "For facts sake" and resold it on say an ebay type of place, is one liable for copyright infringement for showing pictures and text of said book? A friend received an email from a one bobdaisleyshop Location: Victoria, Australia with 0 feedback since 2010. It read and I quote;
unjustifiable."

It really changes my opinion of Bob from a humble guy to someone more bitter. I believe it was Bob himself. Look at the location. I don't blame him looking out for no. 1 but my friend is just a small time unemployed seller. If he had sold more than one or reprinted, etc., I get it. Nobody wants to hurt Bob's sales but how is it not like Amazon? Buyer beware? Who cares what he sold the book for or if he showed pics? Any opinions? Isn't there a couple of lawyers here?

Is he selling the second copy, Bob sent for free, to make up for the binding issues with the first run?
Sky
Madman

Post by Sky »

hansolo wrote:Question. If one bought a Bob Daisley book called "For facts sake" and resold it on say an ebay type of place, is one liable for copyright infringement for showing pictures and text of said book? A friend received an email from a one bobdaisleyshop Location: Victoria, Australia with 0 feedback since 2010. It read and I quote;
unjustifiable."

Then you'd be wrong, Bob Daisley did NOT write that email to your friend, I DID and I stand by every word that I wrote!
Your friend breached Copyright law by displaying photographs and text from For Facts Sake in his/her advertisement. There's a copyright statement at the front of all books.
Furthermore he/she stated that the book was 'rare' and 'very expensive' to buy directly from Bob's site and then proceeded to charge $15 more than the cost of a new copy of the book + shipping to the US from the UK. I'm not sure why you blacked out the $65 that your friend charged from my email.
A fan wrote in to Bob's site to point out that 'rare', second-hand books were being sold on eBay for more than the cost of a new copy + shipping, which is how I knew about these sales, but I wouldn't have bothered to contact the seller if he/she hadn't displayed photos from Bob's personal collection and text from his book in the advertisement.
'Who cares'? I care, and so does Bob's publisher who is based in Victoria, Australia. Bob Daisley is based in Sydney.
It helps to get your facts straight before you make judgements.
Your friend wrote back and apologised, stating that he/she had 'no idea' about copyright and that the book was being sold for a friend and that the price was based on a previous auction.
Troy