which Randy Bootleg can we here the most Keyboard??

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Re: which Randy Bootleg can we here the most Keyboard??

Post by Paul Wolfe »

A couple years back when the multitracks from Guitar Hero & Rock Band made their way to the 'Net I re mixed Rainbow in the Dark with Adobe Audition and eliminated the keys completely. I love the song and it's a great guitar sound, but the keys ruined it because they were overwhelming. Did the same thing with Crowley, adjusted the parts for more stereo separation (sorry Randy, kinda disregarded your love of triple-tracking) and eliminated the keys.

Personally, if there are going to be keys, I'd prefer the REO Speedwagon or Skynyrd style - honkytonk acoustic piano as opposed to the synth/organ approach.
Stewie
Mass Poster

Post by Stewie »

With the Jake show I had the feeling the keys were there to fill the song more, maybe cover up mistakes by Jake or to support him more. But Jake his playing does not need backups and stands out on its own.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Yeah keyboards have a place in music but sometimes they can be OTT. I always cringe when i hear the Ozzy US '83 concert no disrespect to Don Airey who is a great player. Just the improvisation on the Ozzy tunes was over tweaked.
I never knew Iron Maiden always have a keyboard player playing during their live shows. I think it's Steve Harris's bass tech. I only found out when it was mentioned on one of the Maiden docu / films. The keys are very low in the mix and just carry with the melody of the tracks. They go very unnoticed to my ears anyway, or is that my industrial deafness ??...
fortress
Madman

Post by fortress »

hi!! thx again for all the suggestion,, i will check it out

I'm doing an Ozzy tribute band *randy rhoads* era and as soon as we have incorporated some keyboards, it sounded even better overall, especially Beleiver, MR crowley.. SOund like tribute album.. I know they did put keyboard on every song, its why i want to find bootlegs with lots of keyboard :)

Like someone said, in some songs, when we have the keyboard, it just go over the guitar and i come fucking lost on my guitar parts.
the crush
Cool Member

Post by the crush »

I have always liked keyboards in 90% of Blizzard,& Diary Albums Thought they made a lot of songs sound better (live) but a lot of people don't notice the keys on the studio albums! 'Over the Mt.' was one I really liked 'you can't kill R&R' awesome!!! with the keys! in those songs! & many more in my opinion! I never get tired of playing or hearing those two albums!! they are timeless!! I play in a Ozzy tribute band and wish we had full time keyboard player!
check out my guitar playing here
http://www.reverbnation.com/sinsofamadman
check out my custom RR guitar
built by VonLinsowe Custom Guitars Facebook
check out my ozzy tribute band Sins of a Madman on FB or www.sins of a madman.com or on YouTube
dmnjr
Cool Member

Post by dmnjr »

I'm thinking his sound might have gone the way of Dream Theater. 'Man on a Flying Trapeze' (the band jam) definitely has that element to it. Searing solos sometimes doubled or harmonized by the keyboardist.

Wonder if he would've gotten into early Yes? The 'Close to the Edge' album is a masterpiece and Steve Howe is a master of many styles. jazz, classical, bluegrass, rockabilly...
randy will never die
Mass Poster

Post by randy will never die »

dmnjr wrote:Kalamazoo or Minneapolis. One of those two. It's almost overbearing, especially during Crazy Train.
You can hear the keyboard on both of them.

I remember that randy played a monster cord in iron man in 1 of the two shows