Randys Drug Bust

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

DMRX
Mass Poster

Randys Drug Bust

Post by DMRX »

I had started talking about this story I had read inDavid E Bene's RR Book "A Life"
it seemed that alot of members hadnt ever heard this story..I tried telling it from memory,but it got all mixed up so I decided to Transcribe it from the Book for accuracy.And since the topic was Bobs book having the Rhoads family approval,I felt that this would be in bad taste under that header.This is Exactly the type of stuff they dont want Randy to be known for,but Randys been my Insperation since I was 6 years old now I am 34 & Nothing in his personal life could ever change my love for his music,if anything it makes me feel closer to know he really was Human,not just some Superhero who died too young,so all respect to the family,but this Book has been out for a while & im just discussing it...Long Live Randy Rhoads

Okay,So this event had gotten Randy Expelled from continuation school ,and it wasnt for his constantly cutting class

Randys downfall in this case could be traced to his one & only real interest,playing music.Even though he had plenty of equiptment,he was always wanting more.Wheather it was effects pedals,lighting units,better amps,or something else,Randy was always perusing music shops looking for more stuff.Of course,he rarely had enough money to buy what he truely wanted.So when an oppertunity arose in which he saw himself possibly hitting a cash windfall,he couldnt help but to picture himself from the guitar center picking & chooseing from the top of the line gear.
The situation revolved around a fellow 'student' at continuation named David Maldonado.Maldonado attended the school for months,but he wasnt really a studentat all.Similar to the cops on '21 Jumpstreet'.David was really a police officer posing as a studentin order to sniff out any kind of illegalities that might be going down.Apparently,none of the kids ever suspected his true identity.After he had made sure he fit in completely ,he began fishing around for a bust.

Randy may not have been a model teenager,but he wasnt a bad kid,either.He certinaly didnt mess around w/drugs.His only run ins w/the law were usually confined to his truancy and overly loud guitar playing.Even though he had been arrested shortly before this time for throwing beer bottles out of Jan's (Randys Girlfriend at the time) Car at gay hustlers in Hollywood that could be chalked up more as an immature 'prank'.What happened w/David Maldonado was much more serious.
When Maldadono began askingaround to see if anyone in the program knew who might want to buy some drugs,Randy was Naively intrigued,.Although he didnt do drugs himself,and didnt want to be involved in selling them,Maldonado was promising alot of money to anyone who could hook him up.The surfer parties that Randy regularly played were always virtual Drug-Fests.These guys would make abowl of punchand throw LSD in it for everyone.It's just what they did.So Randy imagined hooking up the surfers w/Dave and collecting a load of Cash,which then could be used to purchase new equiptment.It seemed like easy money.
Randy went and asked some surfers he knew if they'd be interested in obtaining some acid,and they said they were.So Randy went back to Dave & pointed him in their direction.He thought it would be as easy as that.But David informed him that,if he wanted to collect the money due to him,he would have to accompany him when the deal went down.Randy protested,saying that this was not the deal they had made.But,despite his misgivings,he agreed to go along.
Immediatly upon their arrival at the house where the deal was to be consummated,the cops swooped in en masse,Randy was cuffed and hauled off to jail.The news spread quickly.Everyone who knew Randy was simply aghast to find out that he was suddenly facing serious drug charges.
Particularly galled was Randys mother.Shed been watching w/increasing irritation at his heading down the wrong tracks as it was.She was determinedthat things had to change,and quick.Instead of going down & bailing him out right away,she let him sit for several days in juvenile hall to teach him a lesson.And his mother was the one person whom Randy never ignored.If there was a lesson that she wanted him to learn,he made sure he got it.
In the end Randy was to get off w/o having to do any serious jailtime.Because he was a minor w/no previous drug arrests,and he was essentially set up,he was let go w/the stearnest of warnings.If he got into trouble again,he would be in really serious hot water.Delorus Rhoads was ready to ensure he wouldnt.

Taken from Randy Rhoads A Life by David A, Bene 2005
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Re: Randys Drug Bust

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Cheers for typing that up Dave Randy was lucky a friend of mine ended up in jail for receiving a parcel containing acid tabs for a neighbour he did 18 month in a rough high security prison in Durham.
RRforeveRR

Post by RRforeveRR »

The so called war on drugs is a profitable war indeed- I dont know about UK stats but here in the states, the dept of corrections receives about 27-75 THOUSAND a yr to keep one person locked up! IMHO that is why we see so many people getting locked up and drug offenses getting ridiculous sentences, but that is another thread entirely.

Thanks for sharing that- poor Randy probably got it from both Delores but Kelle also- being the older brother/man of the house. i enjoy stories every now and again that confirm that this man once walked among us! (:

Getting back to topic- how busy could the cops have been to have to have set up kids on some buys!! Pathetic!
Elvira
Cool Member

Post by Elvira »

Oh thank you for sharing! It would be fantastic to see all this Randy´s stories into a film someday.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

So what was David Bene's source for this story? Sounds like an easily concocted story that would be difficult to prove one way or the other.
mpavlic

Post by mpavlic »

Paul Wolfe wrote:So what was David Bene's source for this story? Sounds like an easily concocted story that would be difficult to prove one way or the other.
I find it a little odd this story just came out now. However, I would think you could easily find out whether it was true if you had access to arrest records. But, what do I know :D
DMRX
Mass Poster

Post by DMRX »

This story had came out,well this Book had came out in 2005....Like I had mentioned before,it was one of those "Taboo" topics that 5 years ago would have ben removed @ least on RRTK,before the whole Doc Fiasco...now w/all theese books its a little more open.

But here is another short segment from the Forward in the book ,I Find it VERY True & hopefully it will answer your questions of sources.

He begins about how he was /became a RR Fan & the idea of Randys memory in the publics eye had begun to fade"I have always hated the Idea of RR being forgotten.
Having Finally given up hope that a Full length RR Biography would ever appear on the market,I did what any good writer worth his salt would do,I decided to do it myself.The foundation of the story has long been available to those who where interested,but it was with a bit of Trepidation that I began approaching those who could fill in the blanks to the rest of the story.The Trepidation stemmed from the mystery as to why the story had never been told in the first place.Id heard for years that a book may be forthcoming but it never materialized,why??
As anyone who is a RR fan knows the most beloved figure in his life was his Mother.Delorus had long been at the forefront of keeping his memory alive.This naturally made her seem the ultimate fount of informationon Randy.Unfortionatly,for reasons never explained to me,she declined to contribute to this project.I can only fathom guesses why this was,but it certinly seemed to offer clues as to why a book was never preveiously released.I regretted her non partitipation greatly,but nevertheless plowed ahead.
What I soon found out during the course of my research was that there were Two distinct camps within the realm of Randys family,friends,and asscociates,and theese two camps agree on little.That there is animosity,and even hostility,cannot be denied.This is truely a Shame.
One camp,which I see as the 'in' Camp,is extemely guarded about anything pertaining to Randy.This group is headed by Sharon & Ozzy Osbourne,and included Mrs.Rhoads.The best explination I can offer is that it seems that theese people are intent on protecting a certin image of Randy (Angelic) that they prefer the public to see.There can be no dispute thatRR was a wonderful human being.But who,truely,is angelic?The bottom line is withholding truths do not alter them.
Luckily,there is also what I came to recognize as the "Out" Camp,which includessome of Randys closest friends and aquaintances.Although the is little doubt that nobody knew Randy better than his mother,it is also true that his friends,particularly KevinDuBrow & Kelly Garni,best relate his life outside of her home.Nobody knows more about the events of Randys life than theese two,who were unquestionably the closest friends he had during his lifetime.They related much of what is contained in this book to me.
Kelly,and to a lesser extent Kevin,have both tried at times to straddle the fence between the ins & Outs,but found that being candid & truthful inevitably led to perminate banishment from the inner circle.Others,such as Lee Kerslake & Bob Daisely,have long resided on the outside.Bob,who is as delightful as he is forthcoming,proved to be a huge reservoir of information from the Ozzy era.This book could have never been completed w/o his contributions.
This book was done in a spirit of sincere admiration,Obviously,it is not an official Biography of RR (for whatever thats worth now) and may someday not qualify as the 'definitive'biography.But for now,it is the only full length Bio of Randys life available.
I would like to offer my thanks to all who helped w/this project (you know who you are) w/a special thanks going out to Kevin DuBrow,Kelly Garni,and Bob Daisley.Kudos as well,to Mr.Yutaka Sato (the epitome of a true RR fan) who was always ready & willing to help at a seconds notice.Cheers!
David A Bene May,2005

Funny that guys name is Sato!...But I think this is a Perfect analogy of the situation in a Nutshell,w/the Camps & the Public image ect..
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

DMRX wrote:...here is another short segment from the Forward in the book ,I Find it VERY True & hopefully it will answer your questions of sources.
Thanks Dave.
DMRX
Mass Poster

Post by DMRX »

No Problem Paul! I Always Love,agree & look forward to your Posts/opinions regarding RR.
As for the A-B camp analogy,this was in 2005 & look what had happened in 2007-08 when Coincidentaly of the 3 Partys that be.Two Straddled the fence & the other that had no choice in the matter,were the 3 main Contributors & they all Had Atomic issues w/the Film makers......Perhaps this guy was Paid off or Threatened by the Osbournes due to the Truths spoken of in this book....there is obviously a market w/5-6 books in the 7 year wake of its 2005 release???Remember Off the rails was to be on Cherry Lane (which do Ozzys Tab books) & Had to drop Rudys book at the last minute on basis of Threats of Ozzys Catalog being pulled??He's got to be one of their best selling Tab artists...just random thoughts

There are Dozens of facts I havent read/heard anywhere else So its definatly worth the time.
The Book is Cheap or was,it looks as its unavailable now,but I got it for less than 20$ w/shipping,You could look around & find a copy im sure?
I was reading it today again & read Alot of cool info I'd forgotten...just ask me I'll share some info since it seems out of print!
But if you or anyone is interested go here http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/097993 ... 0979937108
DMRX
Mass Poster

Post by DMRX »

EDIT*** On further investigation I learned that this was a limited edition book used to try & get it published
The following press release was posted by Roxx Productions
regarding the release of "Randy Rhoads - A Life":

"Once in a while a great project comes along our desks, a project
that we just want to help spread the word about or get out to the
public and to the fans. That project recently came to us here at
Roxx Productions in the form of a book, a biography of a legend. On
December 6, 2006 we mark what would have been the 50th birthday
of a true guitar hero and legend. That legend is Randy Rhoads! Roxx
Productions in association with Empire 4 is bringing you the limited
edition biography of Randy Rhoads entitled Randy Rhoads – A Life.

Throughout the years many people have wondered and looked for a
biography on their Guitar hero and the legend that was and is Randy
Rhoads! That book never transpired for many reasons, some good,
some not so good. Whatever the reason there has not been a
successful publication on the life and times of Randy Rhoads, until
now.

The author of this book, David A Bene, as well as many others has
asked that exact question, “Why has there not been a good
biography on the man we all love?” Well David put pen to paper and
began to collect information from many sources and eventually
pieced it all together to get the book we have before us, ‘Randy
Rhoads – A Life’

While it is not an officially authorized biography, it comes to us with
many contributions from those closest to Randy. Some of these
sources include Kevin Dubrow, Kelly Garni and Bob Daisley just to
name a few.

When you read this book you will get to know the man that became
a legend to millions of faithful fans, and while it paints a picture that
may not be as angelic as most would like to think, it paints a real
picture of a man that would come out of a world that we all have
known at one level or another to become the Legend that we have
today!

This book was self-published and only 300 initial copies have been
pressed as it has been used as a marketing tool to seek a publishing
deal. 150 copies are gone and we have 150 copies left that we are
making available to the public for a limited time."
Elvira
Cool Member

Post by Elvira »

Hi DMRX please, It would be so cool if you share more info with us ;)
Thank you!
meadsie

Post by meadsie »

I have this book if anyone is interested ? Read it once and not looked at it since. The cover is a little creased but still good nick!
Elvira
Cool Member

Post by Elvira »

Too bad!! I have just bought Steven´s book and I have no money at this momento :(