Laughing Gas

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Laughing Gas

Post by Paul Wolfe »

From the 1980 reunion shows... Randy used Revelation (Mother Earth) verbatim as his unaccompanied solo...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zb0kW4_9Lm8
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Re: Laughing Gas

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Great stuff hearing a lot of different styles during his solo from Blackmore, Schenker to Lifeson in the outro. What i cannot get my head round is that this tune could of easily been taking from the Metal Health album from 1983. Its got the same vibe/ style as tracks from that album. But alas Quiet Riot eventually made good and hit the billboard charts with a #1 Heavy Metal album. Not many bands can carry that status. Sadly they did it without Randy ...
DMRX
Mass Poster

Post by DMRX »

Agreed,Like Randy Kevin also had a Great improvement in the time between QRII & Metal Health....His signature "Squeal" evolved greatly in that time & that made all the difference. And as great as it was,IMHO I do believe that the band (QR) which was signed as DuBrow was Changed back to QR in the wake of Randys Death & Success ,I do believe that Randys death did have alot to do w/their status....basically im just saying that I dont think that Metal Health would have been the success it was had they been called DuBrow??...Just a thought.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

So, over at Facebook, I've been told that most of the Revelation solo had been pulled from Randy's original Laughing Gas solo prior to Randy joining Ozzy.

Now, I've got a few QR boots and, time permitting, I'll listen more closely to what I have, but I don't recall hearing Revelation in that solo before. I have heard Dee and Goodbye to Romance as well as some of his Suicide Solution solo.

Anyone remember hearing pieces of Revelation before? Of course, a lot of the Facebook folks were watching him live on a regular basis, so maybe they heard him play stuff that was never bootlegged.

What's interesting to me is that they tell me he was playing in the Ozzy style years before he knew Ozzy, it just didn't fit Quiet Riot. That explains the 'quantum leap' in change between the QR recordings and Blizzard.

Oh, and Dave, I bought Metal Health prior to it's popularity simply because it had been Randy's band.
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

Nice one paul this was moving i read about his reunion in Sarzos book and to hear all his hard work and obvious improvement after recording blizzard and writing in the uk Mother Earth solo , i that blew everyone away...
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
DMRX
Mass Poster

Post by DMRX »

Right Paul!! I think Rudy Souped up the hype too! Dont get me wrong its a Classic,it Sold Millions,Alot based on Spencers suggestion for the Slade Cover (IMHO) But I think Pasha went wrong trying to bank on the Same Formula,can you agree??Another Slade Song strategically placed in the Track order...And I was bummed out by Winners take all,because to me thats in my top 5 QR tunes (well,Teenage anthm ) & I think the phrasing of the new lyrics really took away from the melody of the RR version..But GOD BLESS KEV!!! He did QRRRY out of his own pocket,time,Blood sweat & tears!! And he was great enough to Donate HQ Mp3's of QRI & QRII & Bonus Outtakes from his OWN Masters,to RRTK for FREE Much better than the countless Shitty quality boots Id aquired in the years prior to that.Shit,I even got Duped about a half dozen times w/Load-Up & Tretchros & a few others that wernt even Randy!!But that Tune Mr.Cool....that one is Awsome:) I think I read that was blackie lawless before wasp or mabey Lynch or RaTT??Some L.A. Band but great song .
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

Post by CanuckRhoadsFan »

DMRX wrote:Right Paul!! I think Rudy Souped up the hype too! Dont get me wrong its a Classic,it Sold Millions,Alot based on Spencers suggestion for the Slade Cover (IMHO) But I think Pasha went wrong trying to bank on the Same Formula,can you agree??Another Slade Song strategically placed in the Track order...And I was bummed out by Winners take all,because to me thats in my top 5 QR tunes (well,Teenage anthm ) & I think the phrasing of the new lyrics really took away from the melody of the RR version..But GOD BLESS KEV!!! He did QRRRY out of his own pocket,time,Blood sweat & tears!! And he was great enough to Donate HQ Mp3's of QRI & QRII & Bonus Outtakes from his OWN Masters,to RRTK for FREE Much better than the countless Shitty quality boots Id aquired in the years prior to that.Shit,I even got Duped about a half dozen times w/Load-Up & Tretchros & a few others that wernt even Randy!!But that Tune Mr.Cool....that one is Awsome:) I think I read that was blackie lawless before wasp or mabey Lynch or RaTT??Some L.A. Band but great song .
Dubrow himself always seemed to get a mixed reaction from folks, but I agree with you here; QRTRRY was a nice gesture towards Randy and Randy fans, and his efforts to give back to the fans were always appreciated. He always seemed to have a genuine love for his friend, and he never wavered from that.