Bobs book is endorsed by the Rhoads Family

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

Re: Bobs book is endorsed by the Rhoads Family

Post by CanuckRhoadsFan »

Paul Wolfe wrote:
Tito wrote:paul the dvd is horrible!the footage and audio could have been done better by an amateur..the book is amazing tho!beautiful pictures hardback..really well put together.ive had them for about a year and a half.i watched the dvd and well yuck!i still havent read the book..im saving up for the velocity book..
Good to know, Tito, thanks... I really am more interested in Randy's Quiet Riot years these days because I've read/heard about the Ozzy years for 30 years but not nearly so much about his QR days. I think it's great that a book devoted to that period has been released.

On a side note, I think it's sad that none of the RR books are available at brick & mortar places like Barnes & Noble. I was there the other day and they have books on Yngwie and the Runaways - how are either more 'known' than Randy?
You'll be very happy with the Sobol book and DVD then, Paul. It's a nice complement to the Klein/Rosen book. Like Dubrow's QR:TRRY, this is obviously a labour of love. It's also great to have that background about QR, though I personally like the Ozzy years better. :)

I agree that it is sad that books about Randy are not readily available in brick and mortar stores. I always look for them, and am always disappointed not to see them there. It's like everything else these days, though. Stuff is easier and usually cheaper to buy online. Plus, it's delivered right to your mailbox or door. People have less motivation to go into brick and mortar stores for a lot of things. I often find that while it's fun to go into a book store and peruse everything, I'll look and see if I can get that book online, for my e-reader first. If not, I'll buy the book in a store. The only exception is usually used book stores, where stuff is sometimes out of print or not available electronically.
GuitarJoe
Cool Member

Post by GuitarJoe »

I thought the book "Crazy Train" was excellent. The best I've read about Randy for sure. To be fair I haven't read the Velocity book. I did ready Rudy's book, and it was informative and cool to get his perspective but like others said, it's a once only read IHMO. Has anyone ever heard of the book "Randy Rhoads: A Life"? I read about it but can't really find anything online...apparently it's pretty good (or so I've read). Does that ring a bell with anyone?
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

I just got Bob's book and waiting for the replacement to read. I thumbed through the pics in the Randy/Ozzy section. I didn't want the pages to come out. I ordered Garni's book (Angels With Dirty faces) on Amazon for $30, I figure I wanted to give it a read but they were sold out earlier in the year.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

The pages in the book should stay stuck if you don't go opening the book wide open. I think the pages became loose because of the weight of the books pages on the binder / spine. Either lacking in glue or the pages have not been close to the binder when put together. I thought my book was ok until i went to close the book and one single page had came loose. The more i read the book the pages worked loose next to that page. It didn't put me off as the book is a gripping read and i'm slowing down on the chapters as i know its coming to a close. I've got nothing lined up for my next book. Can anyone recommend any good Rock stars autobiographies. I've heard Glenn Hughes book is suppose to be a good eye opener on his wilder days
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

GuitarJoe wrote:I thought the book "Crazy Train" was excellent. The best I've read about Randy for sure. To be fair I haven't read the Velocity book. I did ready Rudy's book, and it was informative and cool to get his perspective but like others said, it's a once only read IHMO. Has anyone ever heard of the book "Randy Rhoads: A Life"? I read about it but can't really find anything online...apparently it's pretty good (or so I've read). Does that ring a bell with anyone?
Was this the one with the polka dots on the cover, i heard that Kevin DuBrow contributed a lot to that book. I've never read it to pass any comment, it was one of the first books on Randy to come out.
DMRX
Mass Poster

Post by DMRX »

Hey,Idol,The book w/the Polka dot cover was just called "A Life" or RR A Life. Its a very Low budget,Yet very nice & informative Independent "Un-Authorized" Biography written by a Fan.Its large text & double spaced,so it looks like it would be longer than it is.Nonethe less the writer had interviewed Kevin & Kelly G and I believe Bob as well as a few others as I know.Well,I guess I'll talk about some of the things that were mentioned in it that (in the past RRTK & RR Online community) were "Taboo" to talk of & comments would be removed .
But that was about 2-3 years ago,& TK sorta seemed to get overshadowed by UR,I havent checked in months but am I right? Things like the accident/Autopsy (Randys Mutated remains).which I can see,out of good taste,but that is just some FACTS about the Man we all are here to talk about so its only natural that the fans would want to know the Truth.
So topics like that as well as Drug use & Sexual escapades were removed & seemingly erased as not to tarnish Randys Angelic Persona/Legacy.Me personally find those things as the missing pieces to the RR Legacy making him seem more Human than Superhero.
Boy I went on a Longwinded rant there,but I had to say it.......
So Idol...Lol...about that "A Life" book,its Alot of the basics that we all Know from the Mainstream (Guitar World) Story/biography of RR,but this has alot of little facts & about Randys formative years w/KG & QR....Storys about the pranks,Partys and Wild things Randy did growing up near Hollywood.Alot of info about QR's formation & Management.
The One Main story in the book is how Randy got caught up Middling some LSD (to make money for gear) for who turned out to be a Undercover NARC & Randy ended up the subject of a Drug-Bust & ended up in a Detention center for a few days as Dee left him a few days to think about it. Definitly worth the Read.Now Keep in mind I havent gotten KG's book yet nor have I read Crazy train,its been a rough year for me financially So I dont know if theese Storys have been told in those books but there are at Least a Dozen Fun Facts/Storys that Ihavent heard anywhere else in that Book.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

DMRX wrote:The One Main story in the book is how Randy got caught up Middling some LSD (to make money for gear) for who turned out to be a Undercover NARC & Randy ended up the subject of a Drug-Bust & ended up in a Detention center for a few days as Dee left him a few days to think about it. Definitly worth the Read.Now Keep in mind I havent gotten KG's book yet nor have I read Crazy train,its been a rough year for me financially So I dont know if theese Storys have been told in those books but there are at Least a Dozen Fun Facts/Storys that Ihavent heard anywhere else in that Book.
I seem to recall something in Kelly's book about Randy's mom picking them up at the jail... ow I've got to go re-read it!
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

hmm, that's news to me :shock:
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Yeah that's the first time i've heard about Randy the drug dealer. His angelic image has just been tarnished yet again. I appreciate the warts n' all and this is the side of Randy that the family don't like to portray. Like you say Dave, it makes the guy more human.Very much like the stories from Jodi Raskin in the Klein / Rosen book. Jodi opens up and mentions how her relationship between her and Delores wasn't perfect as she was not a catholic and had mixed parents i think her step dad was a black guy. See you go mentioning stuff like this and people do think, well some people like to see their kids in a relationship were religion is not going to rock the boat etc. But even Delores wasn't happy because Jodi was not a catholic etc. So was Dee a racist ?. Well that's one door opening and another one closing. another reason why the Rhoads didn't approve of the Klein book because it had a few home truths in it. I don't think they like the idea she was being very open about her relationship with Randy and bringing up the mentioned religion and even thinking that Dee frowned upon Randy's girl having a black step dad ?. Or am i just kicking up the dust for the hell of it.. Again it's new info and it's written in a book.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:But even Delores wasn't happy because Jodi was not a catholic etc. So was Dee a racist ?
Just for the sake of argument, Randy wasn't Catholic, either, he was Lutheran which is a religion, not a race... so she'd not be racist she'd be intolerant.

Frank discussed the subject of Jodi and Randy's mom with me, but I don't recall exactly what was said other than they worked out their differences.

Just like the plane crash, we weren't there, so who knows what reason's Randy's mom may have had for not caring for her son's girlfriend?
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

Paul Wolfe wrote:
GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:But even Delores wasn't happy because Jodi was not a catholic etc. So was Dee a racist ?
Just for the sake of argument, Randy wasn't Catholic, either, he was Lutheran which is a religion, not a race... so she'd not be racist she'd be intolerant.

Frank discussed the subject of Jodi and Randy's mom with me, but I don't recall exactly what was said other than they worked out their differences.

Just like the plane crash, we weren't there, so who knows what reason's Randy's mom may have had for not caring for her son's girlfriend?

Jodi is Jewish i think?
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

i think honestly the whole family had/have their problems back then.like all familys do..when tragedy struck i think delores took on the job to try and perfect whatever minor flaws they had as a family to keep it from coming to light..just my opinion on that..remember that time dee grew up in was alot different from now..
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Paul Wolfe wrote:

But its not like the plane crash...it's coming first hand from Jodi regardless if she is jewish, muslim, catholic or an atheist. The point i'm putting over is the image someone portrays isn't always the clean cut conservative that people like to believe. If Delores didn't agree to the religion of his girlfriend would she of frowned upon Randy coming home with a Chinese, Asian, African girl. It's another window that we are seeing into someone's life. People are racist without waving banners and protesting. The same with any religious beliefs, everyone doesn't go down the same road. That's IMHO and you would have to read Jodi's words in the book to make your own mind up. Yeah Tito, your right Dee did grow up in a time when it was different from now. But that wouldn't go changing her beliefs if she didn't want her son to date a girl because she was Jewish. Or didn't want to be seen on a family photograph with a black man. "Oh Dee who is the black guy?.. Oh that's Randy's girlfriend's step Dad...". It opens up new doors when people are seen to be angelic but they can have views that are not to everyone's taste. Just like how it came to light that Randy was dealing LSD. Some things are better kept quiet or hushed up.
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

thats the point i was trying to make idol..
DMRX
Mass Poster

Post by DMRX »

OKay....Let me Clear up a Few ends here,because like I had mentioned,this past year or Two have been Awful for me from Money,Girls,Music...Shit Sex Drugs & Rock n Roll w/Money/Job problems to boot,So I Havent been anywhere near up to Par for (in my mind) my RR Community contributions (I am working on Something special though) But Point Being..I havent been able to get Either of the RR Books,the Crazy Train book or Kelly Garnis & of course Bobs....yet.I was Lucky enough to have an old friend burn & send me a copy of the QR Doc...but theres a glitch in it & the audio cuts out right when they talk about Randy meeting Ozzy!!!! So Ive yet to hear the last 15 mins of that:(
So I havent ever heard of that Delorus having a prob w/Jodi.....I mean I know she wasnt too fond of Kevin & Jodi was w/Kevin first.......lol...okay joking aside I really want to get all theese books & know where what info came from.Dont know bout KG's book,but Up until this interview w/him in an AWSOME RR magazine my brother had,he always said that they didnt really do Drugs,to quote KG he said "Randy Hated Pot" thought it made you lazy..lol
But in this New Magazine he says how they would use Coke to help them stay Up drinking
"we didnt think of it as getting high" just a boost to keep you going! And its well known that their first manager was a Coke dealer & had financed the Magic wand recording & pressings w/Drug money.So it seems only logical to me...

Now Randy w/the Acid.....in the book it says that Mrs.Rhoads had put Randy into a Continuation school so he could do his Music & still Graduate.Now it wasnt like Randy was Selling Acid....Some Kid (his name is in the book I'll have to look it up) well actually he woulda had to be a young adult as he was a Undercover Narc. Now he had asked Randy if he could get him some acid & he would hook him up w/some money for helping him out.
So I guess Randy knew some Surfer Kids (from the Backyard Party scene) that were always trippin & obviously would have the Acid,So Randys intention was just to introduce the two & get paid his cut (which was intended for an Amplifier) but something went wrong & Randy ended up getting caught up w/the Bust....Im just goin on Memory..I'll check the book & update the story.