Ozzy paid for Randy's tomb

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Re: Ozzy paid for Randy's tomb

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

I't turned out to be an expensive night for Ozzy after this fan done him for damages .....

Osbourne Fan Injured in Irvine Concert Melee Awarded $60,000
March 17, 1994

NEWPORT BEACH — An Orange County Superior Court jury on Wednesday decided that rock star Ozzy Osbourne's insurance company should pay $60,000 to a Burbank electrician who claims he was trampled after the singer invited a heavy metal crowd to join him onstage during a 1992 concert.

The same jury had earlier decided that Osbourne, who has been known to bite the heads off live bats during concerts, was negligent when he issued the invitation that caused the stampede at Irvine Meadows Amphitheatre.

Kenneth Allan Winkler, 43, claimed he was trampled in the melee and suffered a torn rotator cuff, a shoulder injury. He filed a civil lawsuit against Osbourne, the concert hall and its security firm, seeking $250,000 in damages.

"This is really disheartening," said Winkler's attorney, William I. Goldsmith of Tarzana, who added that his client deserved a much bigger award for his injuries.

"It sends the wrong message to performers that juries will not compensate people for pain and suffering," Goldsmith said.

The defense attorney for Osbourne's insurance company, Philip D. Weiss of Universal City, said he was relieved that the jury did not award Winkler more money. Jurors decided to compensate Winkler for only past medical expenses and lost wages, and awarded him $10,000 for pain and suffering.

Weiss said that although Osbourne's actions were "a really stupid thing to do," Winkler failed to prove he suffered a torn rotator cuff, which the electrician said would require expensive surgery and several months away from work.

Weiss contended that Winkler's shoulder injury was less serious than the electrician and his attorney had claimed.

"Because Ozzy Osbourne is a star, they treated this like the lottery," he said.

On March 28, 1992, Osbourne was finishing a show at the Irvine Meadows Amphitheatre when, according to court testimony, the singer told the audience he wanted to make it a night to remember and invited them to join his band onstage.

About 400 people surged toward the stage after Osbourne's invitation, according to testimony. Some concert-goers jumped over seats while others flooded the aisles leading to the stage. Several people were treated for minor cuts and bruises.

Winkler testified that he was trying to leave the concert when he was trampled by boisterous fans.

The jury found that Irvine Meadows was not liable for the mishap, nor was the security company working that night.

Tom Miserendino, a spokesman for the amphitheater, said he was pleased with the trial's outcome because concert organizers had warned Osbourne's agent about the dangers of inviting the crowd onstage.

"We had taken every precaution that you could, but if an artist decided to create an unsafe situation, they can certainly do that," Miserendino said.

"We certainly would like to have (Osbourne) back in the future," he said, "but we would hope next time he would avoid asking the crowd to join him."
randy will never die
Mass Poster

Post by randy will never die »

hansolo wrote:It would make sense that he had a stroke in 1992. The after show interview footage of Ozzy at the Costa Mesa show was unaired MTV footage. I don't think they ever used it because he was so bad. I didn't know there were 2 benefit shows. Did they sell the Tribute tour books at these shows?

Does anybody have this interview ?

I saw an interview that was before or after the music festival in Moscow in the 80s. IT WAS BAD !!!
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

I have thrown away a bunch of VHS tapes. I hope I kept this int. It was the worst studdering footage of Ozzy's career. 1992 Costa Mesa after show footage. He probably (I don't mean to joke) had a stroke on camera.
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

He (Ozzy) did do a set as Ozzy and then did a small set with Sabbath. I'm thinking he was over-prescribed on medication.