Randys Zeus Pedalboard.

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Re: Randys Zeus Pedalboard.

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Stiltzkin wrote:
randy will never die wrote:Give me another year and i will be the super mass poster of the world Hahahahahahahaha :twisted:
quality vs. Quantity :)
Never happen...
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

Most of you have missed the point ( very common in here)this old yank boasts about his money and hot wife and has money to burn , so 10 k is nothing to him if you look at his videos it is obvious that he does indeed seem to be quite wealthy.

So why dont i offer him 10 k or why didnt i buy it ? because most people dont have 10 k to spend at the drop of a hat ....i thought that wouldve been OBVIOUS.

Also if anyone had bothered to read the comments on his video.He says " i dont want to use it, i dont want to break it"

So it is indeed just festering away in his garage , not only that he sucks on guitar.I can guarantee it will not stay in his possession for ever.
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

mojopin70 wrote:Also if anyone had bothered to read the comments on his video.He says " i dont want to use it, i dont want to break it"

So it is indeed just festering away in his garage , not only that he sucks on guitar.I can guarantee it will not stay in his possession for ever.
Personally, I wouldn't spend $10,000 on any equipment, regardless of who once owned it or how much money I had available. Of course being broke makes that easier to say :wink: but, seriously, I don't believe in 'investing' in musical equipment. I believe a guitar is meant to be played and if it gets dented, so be it. Same goes for everything related to it, you use it and let it show the signs of use. 'Pristine' is for princesses.

This guy bought it to show off, "Oooh, look what I have!" Nothing more, in my opinion. If it were for any personal reason, he wouldn't get online and brag about having it and what he paid for it.

Been wrong before, but that's my opinion on the matter as of this point in time.
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

Post by CanuckRhoadsFan »

I just find this whole debacle odd. The way people carried on about it, you'd think it was a relic from the Holy Land.

It's a piece of guitar equipment with a bit of pedigree. It's not the Shroud of Turin!

I see this as some dude having something others want. As with most things in collectors' hands, it will change hands at some point, as mojopin says. Let the guy enjoy it - he paid the money for it, and he's entitled to enjoy his purchase. I'm happy that the guy has something he treasures; loads of people are never lucky enough or financially able to own something like this. Good on the guy! And he's actually showing it, which is more than I can say for some other folks that probably have Randy material and are squirrelling it away like it's gold.

Bottom line, like I said, people are pissed they don't own it, and don't have the prestige to either possess the board, or (highly unlikely) "give it back to the Rhoads family" as some have said, and be a hero.

I also think that at some point, maybe many years down the line, Randy's guitars will be owned by others as well, whether it's an individual or a museum. It's just the way these things go.
rhoads56
Cool Member

Post by rhoads56 »

$10k for a 'collectors item' is nothing. It IS a drop of the hat to a LOT of people. How many people have purchased a new car, only to trade it in two years later and drop well over $10k? Or just take a look at how much interest you'll pay for a car loan. How many people buy boats? Vintage guitars that never get played? Go on big holidays? Spend $10k extra on a wedding...

I have an LP here that Ive been offered $5k for. Ive never played it. I probably never will. It doesn't mean I don't cherish it. Hell, I had the opportunity to buy some books, that were about to go out of print. I grabbed five spare copies, knowing they'll increase in value when the subject they are based on becomes more popular. I sold one for $1300. Another I managed to get signed by not only the authors, but every important person involved in the design and products the books are based on. Value? Who cares. Do I use (read) it? Nope.

Money is relevant to your income or reserves. Think about how many people own an investment property. Or their own business. I have a client that bought a Lamborghini with cash. I asked him how he managed to get to a point where he could do that. His answer? "I worked hard, got an investment property, used the rent from that to finance another a few years later, and another, and another, etc. Over 15-20 years they all doubled/tripled in price, and I sold three, kept five, paid out the loans, bought the lambo, and retired".

Of course, we also need to consider inheritance. Imagine an uncle (or parents!) leaves a home and car to you in a will. Does the car mean anything? Probably not. Is 'swapping' it for a Zeus once owned by your idol a cool thing? Hell yeah!

Id rather the Zeus board was sitting in this guys closet, than sitting on a beer stained carpet of some dirty club, being used as a preamp. And regardless of the owners ability to play or not, once again... who cares? He's obviously passionate, and isn't that all that matters? Should only those that can play well, deserve the 'good stuff'? Is your car based on your 'racing' driving skill, or your budget?
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

rhoads56 wrote:$10k for a 'collectors item' is nothing. It IS a drop of the hat to a LOT of people. How many people have purchased a new car, only to trade it in two years later and drop well over $10k? Or just take a look at how much interest you'll pay for a car loan. How many people buy boats? Vintage guitars that never get played? Go on big holidays? Spend $10k extra on a wedding...

I have an LP here that Ive been offered $5k for. Ive never played it. I probably never will. It doesn't mean I don't cherish it. Hell, I had the opportunity to buy some books, that were about to go out of print. I grabbed five spare copies, knowing they'll increase in value when the subject they are based on becomes more popular. I sold one for $1300. Another I managed to get signed by not only the authors, but every important person involved in the design and products the books are based on. Value? Who cares. Do I use (read) it? Nope.

Money is relevant to your income or reserves. Think about how many people own an investment property. Or their own business. I have a client that bought a Lamborghini with cash. I asked him how he managed to get to a point where he could do that. His answer? "I worked hard, got an investment property, used the rent from that to finance another a few years later, and another, and another, etc. Over 15-20 years they all doubled/tripled in price, and I sold three, kept five, paid out the loans, bought the lambo, and retired".

Of course, we also need to consider inheritance. Imagine an uncle (or parents!) leaves a home and car to you in a will. Does the car mean anything? Probably not. Is 'swapping' it for a Zeus once owned by your idol a cool thing? Hell yeah!

Id rather the Zeus board was sitting in this guys closet, than sitting on a beer stained carpet of some dirty club, being used as a preamp. And regardless of the owners ability to play or not, once again... who cares? He's obviously passionate, and isn't that all that matters? Should only those that can play well, deserve the 'good stuff'? Is your car based on your 'racing' driving skill, or your budget?
Excellent post, and so true!
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

CanuckRhoadsFan wrote:I just find this whole debacle odd. The way people carried on about it, you'd think it was a relic from the Holy Land.

It's a piece of guitar equipment with a bit of pedigree. It's not the Shroud of Turin!

I see this as some dude having something others want. As with most things in collectors' hands, it will change hands at some point, as mojopin says. Let the guy enjoy it - he paid the money for it, and he's entitled to enjoy his purchase. I'm happy that the guy has something he treasures; loads of people are never lucky enough or financially able to own something like this. Good on the guy! And he's actually showing it, which is more than I can say for some other folks that probably have Randy material and are squirrelling it away like it's gold.

Bottom line, like I said, people are pissed they don't own it, and don't have the prestige to either possess the board, or (highly unlikely) "give it back to the Rhoads family" as some have said, and be a hero.

I also think that at some point, maybe many years down the line, Randy's guitars will be owned by others as well, whether it's an individual or a museum. It's just the way these things go.

Wrong...i dont want it , want to touch it or play through it.....im a randy rhoads fan , played guitar for years teach guitar etc etc etc...

At the end of the day it sounds like a piece of noisy crap.

So thats that cleared up.
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

CanuckRhoadsFan wrote:I just find this whole debacle odd. The way people carried on about it, you'd think it was a relic from the Holy Land.

Do i really have to repeat my same answer .

I dont want it, want to touch it, want to play through it, and it sounds like a noisy piece of crap its over 30 years old and was used to practice with headphones on ....the times have changed i have a decent pedalboard today in 2013.

To sell it back to the deceased family is something only a stupid wannabe failed guitarist with a bit of cash would do.And that looks like exactly what has happened.......

Tragic.

mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

Btw the Shroud of Turin was proven to be fake as far as i know this was proven to be geniune.

hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

"It belongs in a museum!" :evil: It doesn't matter what anyone thinks. The guy who owns it is going to keep it and that's that. That is reality. Anyone else with an idea of what should happen is just tossing off. Save your breath.

"We go 'round in circles!"
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

rhoads56 wrote:$10k for a 'collectors item' is nothing. It IS a drop of the hat to a LOT of people. How many people have purchased a new car, only to trade it in two years later and drop well over $10k? Or just take a look at how much interest you'll pay for a car loan. How many people buy boats? Vintage guitars that never get played? Go on big holidays? Spend $10k extra on a wedding...
See, that's exactly where I see "waste". To me, and I am not looking down at or judging people who do things differently, spending $10K on any of those things is wasteful. There are people who have next to nothing and this world would be in a much better state if the people who spend wads of cash on toys would spend that money instead on people who need help.

I don't want to turn this into a political fight, it' just my opinion and I don't expect any of you to share it. I am frugal because I have to be, but if I had the means to pay my debts with money left over, I would help others. I have everything I need and wish others could have everything they need as well.

At any rate, yes, the silly little amp was purchased and the owner has the right to do with it as he pleases. My not understanding his purchase should make no difference at all.

And, Han, 'going round in circles' is exactly what a discussion is on an Internet forum.

I don't believe this thing belongs in a museum. If it weren't for a small number of obsessed fans and one freaking picture, no one would even no about the damn thing. I wouldn't ooh and ahh over it in a museum, I'd see it as that one thing in that one picture. His guitars would be different.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

mojopin70 wrote:To sell it back to the deceased family is something only a stupid wannabe failed guitarist with a bit of cash would do.And that looks like exactly what has happened.......

Tragic.
Methinks you are getting way too worked up over a miniscule side-note in Randy's life.

And, for the record, how does one 'fail' at being a guitarist? I get the wannabe reference, but I'd say 99.9% of the people in history who've played guitar have never made a living at it and even fewer have gotten to the level where they are remembered for long.

Guitar playing is a hobby that some people take to a level of making a living. It should be done for fun and nothing else. If you are lucky and people will pay you to listen to you play, great. If you are playing to impress, you've lost the plot.
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

mojopin70 wrote:

Wrong...i dont want it , want to touch it or play through it.....im a randy rhoads fan , played guitar for years teach guitar etc etc etc...

At the end of the day it sounds like a piece of noisy crap.

So thats that cleared up.
My post was not directed at you, mojopin. If you reread it, I actually agree with you.

So that's cleared up. :)
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

mojopin70 wrote:

Do i really have to repeat my same answer .

I dont want it, want to touch it, want to play through it, and it sounds like a noisy piece of crap its over 30 years old and was used to practice with headphones on ....the times have changed i have a decent pedalboard today in 2013.

To sell it back to the deceased family is something only a stupid wannabe failed guitarist with a bit of cash would do.And that looks like exactly what has happened.......

Tragic.
No, actually you DON'T have to repeat yourself. I get it.

And honestly, regardless of what we think of the guy, he's the board's current owner, so it really doesn't matter.

I'm surprised you thought I was singling you out - I'm simply shaking my head at this whole odd situation. Feel free to think what you like - that's your right!
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

mojopin70 wrote:

Btw the Shroud of Turin was proven to be fake as far as i know this was proven to be geniune.
I'm well aware of that. I used the Shroud of Turin as an example of a relic that had a lot of hype and infamy around it which many people looked at as being special, not unlike the Zeus board, no? Therein is the connection. I thought that was kind of obvious in how I phrased that.