After Hours!

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

the crush
Cool Member

After Hours!

Post by the crush »

I haven't watched after hours in a long time and I must say WoW! Randy is just the greatest !,, I love watching Mr. Crowley especially the 2nd solo & you hear the keyboards following the solo riff! awesome!! & I have always played that part (the beginning of 2nd solo) with my middle & index finger fretted & lift the pinky, Randy lifts up his pinkey & middle fingers!, and the Bridge before the solo where Randy plays a long with keyboards kinda, you never see any guitar players play that part like Randy does I thinks most guitar players play it like the studio version! I just wish we all had more close up shots of Randy playing we would all probably be surprised how he played certain parts!!!
check out my guitar playing here
http://www.reverbnation.com/sinsofamadman
check out my custom RR guitar
built by VonLinsowe Custom Guitars Facebook
check out my ozzy tribute band Sins of a Madman on FB or www.sins of a madman.com or on YouTube
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Re: After Hours!

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I think Randy got bored from playing the same stuff night after night so he ad-libbed a lot. I love the Quiet Riot songs Picking Up the Pieces & Back to the Coast, and I've noticed that live Randy added a lot of fills to Pieces and of course they used Coast as a set closer do Randy could noodle all over that one.

Had Randy lived, I'd imagine that about now Ozzy would be doing one of those retrospective gigs and have all his past guitarists join him onstage which would give him a great opportunity to noodle about on something like Crazy Train... Crowley just doesn't seem like something that would work well for improvising, the original is too perfect.
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

Post by CanuckRhoadsFan »

Paul Wolfe wrote:I think Randy got bored from playing the same stuff night after night so he ad-libbed a lot. I love the Quiet Riot songs Picking Up the Pieces & Back to the Coast, and I've noticed that live Randy added a lot of fills to Pieces and of course they used Coast as a set closer do Randy could noodle all over that one.

Had Randy lived, I'd imagine that about now Ozzy would be doing one of those retrospective gigs and have all his past guitarists join him onstage which would give him a great opportunity to noodle about on something like Crazy Train... Crowley just doesn't seem like something that would work well for improvising, the original is too perfect.
Ozzy should do this anyways! I'd pay good money to see all of the guitarists from Oz's past at the same gig. It would be great!
dannyahansen
Mass Poster

Post by dannyahansen »

Probably never going to get Jake E Lee.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Jake just doesn't seem like he cares about fame in any way now. He just wants to do his thing. I can respect that.

Then again, based on my scenario with Randy being alive, he'd have recommended George Lynch as his replacement and Jake would have been even more involved in the hair metal on the strip...
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

Paul Wolfe wrote:Then again, based on my scenario with Randy being alive, he'd have recommended George Lynch as his replacement and Jake would have been even more involved in the hair metal on the strip...
who knows?
Maybe Jake wouldn't have left the Dio gig?
Maybe he would've been on Holy Diver instead of Viv? 8)
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Stiltzkin wrote:
Paul Wolfe wrote:Then again, based on my scenario with Randy being alive, he'd have recommended George Lynch as his replacement and Jake would have been even more involved in the hair metal on the strip...
who knows?
Maybe Jake wouldn't have left the Dio gig?
Maybe he would've been on Holy Diver instead of Viv? 8)
So many interesting possibilities... maybe Jake would've joined Dokken?
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

I have to agree with the op.In fact ive never been a big fan of the live rr stuff ive heard especially tribute(loud,bright,and keyboard crazy).AH has great playing and great distorted sound.Its nice the man was captured well on film.
How to tell a real RR signature: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=726&start=120
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

Paul Wolfe wrote:Jake just doesn't seem like he cares about fame in any way now. He just wants to do his thing. I can respect that.

Then again, based on my scenario with Randy being alive, he'd have recommended George Lynch as his replacement and Jake would have been even more involved in the hair metal on the strip...

Jake e Lee was such a fantastic guitar player my god live he had such stage presence i saw him with Badlands at a small club called the Bierkeller in Bristol England in 1992 i remember walking up the stairs and they were sound checking and we sat and watched them the place was empty awesome.

After the show i spoke to him a bit and he was a really nice guy i was actually quieter and more timid than he was so he probably found it easy to speak to some teenage kid...ive still got his pick he gave me from that show.

I remember talking to Ray Gillan too he was a really nice guy that band was like a super charged version of Led Zeppelin i couldnt believe Gillan died not long after he didnt look unwell to me at all.
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

Paul Wolfe wrote:So many interesting possibilities... maybe Jake would've joined Dokken?
hey, atleast my story has some backbone to it :lol:
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Stiltzkin wrote:
Paul Wolfe wrote:So many interesting possibilities... maybe Jake would've joined Dokken?
hey, atleast my story has some backbone to it :lol:
Well, if Randy suggested George to Ozzy, Dokken would have needed a guitar player... just as valid as a Dio shot, considering in this scenario Randy is alive, Dio might have stayed with Sabbath... it's all silly speculation because I'm bored... Jake might also have joined Quiet Riot and written Bark at the Moon with them which would have replaced Cum On Feel the Noize as the lead single skyrocketing them to super-stardom.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

it's not like Jake wasn't in Dio just before Holy Diver came out 8) coincidence?
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Stiltzkin wrote:it's not like Jake wasn't in Dio just before Holy Diver came out 8) coincidence?
Yeah, yeah, yeah, but I'm not concerned with actual occurrences, this is all just middle-of-the-night 'what if' re-writing of history...

How's this scenario - Don gets off the plane and Ozzy & Sharon are awake and decide to go up for a bit of 'mile high antics' (if you know what I mean) and they hit the bus (because Ayecock is disgusted by the thought of Sharon in any sexual manner) and Ozzy's the one who's lost on March 19th... now metal history can be re-written because Randy survives, Jake and Zakk never get to join Ozzy and all those bands introduce to the world at Ozzfest never get off the ground... See, it's the wee hours and my thinking is all twisted.