THe Polka-Dot influence

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

THe Polka-Dot influence

Post by Paul Wolfe »

So, word is the polka-dot theme was inspired by Mick Ronson...
Attachments
16567_10201847166245449_815443194_n.jpg
(15.35 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Re: THe Polka-Dot influence

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Also, according to a thread at .tk... the Cramps guitar player had a polka-dot V in 1976!!
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

Somewhat off topic, but there was a striped Les Paul in "Up in Smoke" at the rockfight battle of the bands. The movie was released in 1978 but probably filmed in '76. It was in California so the could have seen VH or did Eddie get influenced by that guitar? I thought I would someday combine stripes and polka dots...

Maybe the girls who designed those horribly gay glam costumes (which probably prevented them from getting signed) threw in the polka dots on Randy's costume design before the V was made and he said, "I need a matching guitar for my outfit." Yeah the black polka-dot vest is cool but you have to admit how bad those outfits were!
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

Post by CanuckRhoadsFan »

As much of a Randy fan as I am, those polka dots are fugly. I guess it was the glam style, but damn!

Also, EVH's guitar is ugly. Sorry, but his style in guitars leaves much to be desired. Iconic or not, that guitar sticks out like a sore thumb.
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

IMHO the yellow/black and the white/black one pick-up super strats were pretty mean in the day. I'll give you Frankenstein is horrible looking with that fake single in the neck.
Attachments
1aevh-blackandyellow.jpg
1a-Eddie-Van-Halen-rock-guitar-legends-32164684-800-600.jpg
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

hansolo wrote:IMHO the yellow/black and the white/black one pick-up super strats were pretty mean in the day. I'll give you Frankenstein is horrible looking with that fake single in the neck.
agree with all this .... anyone who thinks the bumblebee is ugly clearly has no taste what so ever :wink:
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

The yellow/black one is better, but still not great, IMO. Ed's choices of designs left/leave a lot to be desired!

Ed might be a great guitar player, but his taste in stuff...ouch. I'll quote a friend of mine who had this to say about Ed: "He's a great guitar player with shitty taste in music". I couldn't agree more! Apparently this extends to guitar designs also! Gah!

Dude's deservedly a legend, but no design on the guitar is better than the Frankenstein or Bumblebee ones!

Sorry if this pisses off any EVH fans....as I say, just my opinion!
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

Ed is a legend, for what he has done with Van Halen. As soon as he steps outside of VH, that's when he shows his weakness. He has a certain niche style. I heard him play with Simon and Garfunkel and it was awful. I don't think he bothered to learn the chord changes and just 23-skiddooed a solo over it. It blew.
sik_kreations
Cool Member

Post by sik_kreations »

hansolo wrote:IMHO the yellow/black and the white/black one pick-up super strats were pretty mean in the day. I'll give you Frankenstein is horrible looking with that fake single in the neck.
Frankenstein is the white and black one after he he added the Floyd and cut pick guard and painted the red.
sik_kreations
Cool Member

Post by sik_kreations »

Personally I like the red.white. black. The asymetrical stripes are rad... A few years back a shop I used to paint for did the audio install for eddies old silverado pick up boyd coddington built in the 90s. It was redone by his old crew and the truck was sold at barret Jackson... I got to paint the subwoofer box to match frankenstein...and took pics with my cheap frankenstein copy .. lol.good times
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

sik_kreations wrote:
Frankenstein is the white and black one after he he added the Floyd and cut pick guard and painted the red.
True, but IMO the black and white looked better. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. On a side note, Frankenstein is often the name given to something made from different parts, like the monster of the same movie. When I was a kid I'd hold my hands out, walk stiff-like and say in a mono-tone voice, "I AM FRANKENSTEIN!" Really I was Frankenstein's monster. People often get that wrong. Sorry, so off topic.
randy will never die
Mass Poster

Post by randy will never die »

sytharnia wrote:
agree with all this .... anyone who thinks the bumblebee is ugly clearly has no taste what so ever :wink:

FUN FACT: The bridge on the evhs bumblebee was a prototype Floyd rose
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

randy will never die wrote:
sytharnia wrote:

FUN FACT: The bridge on the evhs bumblebee was a prototype Floyd rose
...and it's still fugly! :)
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

i never got the polka dots...it looks girly to me...girls wear polka dot dresses and stuff.The whole look of that axe looks off to me...the out of scale massive headstock and pd.
Buddy Guy had it way before anyone,right?
I think evh strats look amaziing.To come up with that variation geometric design is pretty creative.I love the short squiggly stripes he paints above the low E string,and the thick lines offset by thin lines.Maybe a Kandinsky influence?However fender did sell lower budget guitars with 2 or 3 very short stripes on the body in the late 60s-i think the guy from mc5 played them.

edit: fender mustangs had factory-added racing stripes added in 68 on some models like below...this totally were evh got his idea from-although he didnt start adding stripes til just before the debut album?

How to tell a real RR signature: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=726&start=120
DMRX
Mass Poster

Post by DMRX »

Hey guys,...WoW!!!!!! Well this topic is ,um....to each his or her own opinion,is it right or wrong????......Who Cares...That was (one of) Randys physical Trademarks...Ive read that MGMT. wanted a theme for each member (QR) & Kev was to be the Polka-dot but the clothing didnt fit & Randy ended up wearing it w/Kev Opting for (what was to be his trademark) B&W Stripes.....And those "Bad Outfits" were designed by Randys GF/Fiancee' ,it is hard to imagine now but that was nearly 40 yrs ago ,Times are always changing!!

Shit Randy was So Influenced by MR just check this (sounds very close to YCKRNR to me)....forgive me if youve seen this...;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... NKaM&t=207

As for EVH's Yellow Frankenstein....One of Randys BIGGEST Public Influences & supporters "Dimebag Darrell" was Buried (in his Kiss Coffin) w/that Yellow guitar....
(As seen on the insert from VHII)

Whos to say where the Polka-Dot theme was created W/the Bowtie inlays that was all RR.
Buddy Guy had Polka Dots on his guitar

How come were not talkin about how Lame Bow-ties are???